AVS Forum banner

Christmas Music

11K views 165 replies 51 participants last post by  m. zillch 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm a sucker for Christmas music. Lately I've been loading a bunch of stuff into a shuffling playlist with Roon, using both my library and Tidal. Some of what I've been listening to:

...and the best band from the eighties with their Christmas EP:

Anyone else featuring Christmas music in heavy rotation?

See less See more
#5 ·
That's why I started this thread, so I could get some ideas of what else is out there, besides the usual, although I'll confess I am a sucker for the old standards. I already have one intriguing album suggestion from RayDunzl.

#11 ·
Either Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Michael Buble or Bing Crosby primarily. There's plenty more I have, though.

#17 · (Edited)
I'm a sucker for Christmas music. Lately I've been loading a bunch of stuff into a shuffling playlist with Roon, using both my library and Tidal. Some of what I've been listening to:

...and the best band from the eighties with their Christmas EP:

One of my favorites is the Vanguard Classics 4CD collection of Christmas music over several centuries by the Alfred Deller Consort. They are a very fine acapella group with occasional guitar or harp accompaniment, and I find it very beautiful. Angelic voices indeed.

Amazon has the 4CD set for $28 new or $6 used, or for a few dollars less you can download an MP3 version.

They even have a couple of the original 1960s vinyl discs available fairly cheap.

Liona Boyd's "A Guitar For Christmas is very nice.

And don't forget that classic Elvis Christmas album with the TV version of "Merry Christmas Baby"!! and also "Blue Christmas".

#22 ·

Volti / Lisa Delan / Lester Lynch
December Celebration

#23 · (Edited)

Dunedin Consort / John Butt
Bach: Magnificat

my first Christmas spin of the year!

#27 ·
Not being in the holiday spirit for years, & perhaps years to come, I tend to favor the comedy genre

Lou Monte - Dominic the Donkey

Father Guido Sarducci (Don Novello) Santa's Lament.

What I'm really looking for is what I heard a few times back in the late '70's or early '80's (likely on AM radio Stations) I have yet to track anything down on it or hear it again was what I believe was Rich Little's 12 Days of Christmas, ending with his impersination of a drunk Paul Lynde on the twelfth day saying "Absolutely Nothing!"

The Vince Guaraldi album is pretty good aside of being a Christmas Album.

Bah Humbug! :)

Sent from a desktopPC with Windows 7 (or lower)

You may dislike...... Terms & Conditions
You may also dislike...... Registering....after all Joseph & Mary did it in Bethlehem & they stuck them in a manger.

#28 ·

There is a 4-disc set that is indispensable, in my opinion.

It is by the Deller Consort and covers everything from the medieval carols to the modern, and the quality of their acapella singing will bring tears to your eyes, it is so beautiful.

Amazon has it for $27.32 on CD (or less for download).

"THE COMPLETE VANGUARD CHRISTMAS CLASSICS BY ALFRED DELLER AND THE DELLER CONSORT"

Another favorite of mine (in a different vein entirely....lol) is Elvis's " Merry Christmas Baby".

#32 ·

Enya
And Winter Cam

#33 ·

The Moody Blues
December

#71 ·
Wow. Didn't know Al had a Christmas album. Will download this today.

Brain Setzer has a couple of nice Christmas albums. And the Christmas show he puts on is truly amazing (On the top of the best concerts I have ever seen [x3]). Go see him if you have the chance.