FYI: NEW Yamaha RN-602 Network Receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-12-2016, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 842
FYI: NEW Yamaha RN-602 Network Receiver

For those who don't know, Yamaha has upgraded their RN500 Network Receiver to the NEW Yamaha RN602 Receiver. The power is the same but they have added many new features such as Bluetooth.

The Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver is currently listed at Crutchfield's at $599 -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN60....html?tp=47041

Here are the full specs at the Yamaha Website - R-N602 Network Receiver -

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...02/?mode=model

The big selling point of this amp besides having a DAC, is the fact that it has Apple Airplay and DLNA Network Streaming of Audio, and has preset to common Streaming services like Spotify.

- vTuner
- Pandora
- Rhapsody
- Sirius XM
- Spotify
- Napster
- Juke

It also accesses Internet Radio via vTuner.

Rated at 80w/ch to 8 ohms 0.04% THD

The internal DACs and Streaming now support DSD Playback, something that was missing in the previous models.

DSD 2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz, FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit, Apple® Lossless 96 kHz / 24-bit playback

The DAC not only supports the standard Optical and Coaxial, but has a USB-Media front port of Smart Devices like phones and Pads.

Front panel USB connection for digital docking with iPod® / iPhone® and USB flash drives

And they system has the new Yamaha Multi-cast multi-room audio feature.

And as mentioned earlier, it has the addition of Bluetooth Streaming.

Here is another thread where the Amp has been discussed, at in Post #40 , you hear from someone who has just take deliver of the amp to replace a Denon.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new...eiver.1984978/

Apparently Setup and Use were very easy.

I would not go so far as to claim this is the greatest amp since sliced bread. But it is very much an amp for the modern digital age, and seems to satisfy the needs of many consumers with a variety of media.

I think in the area of integrating Digital Music into Stereo Equipment, Yamaha is far ahead of the game.

For the money, it seems a pretty impressive Receiver.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
I thought the R-N500 replaced the R-S500 receiver or was that just the same receiver series but one has network capabilities? Steve, you're usually up on these things...any idea?

Sony STR-DE545 Receiver | Sony CDP-CE315 5-Disc CD Changer | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers

"My CD's don't earn interest...they play sweet music."
"Vinyl-free since 1983"
post #3 of 10 Old 01-12-2016, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
I thought the R-N500 replaced the R-S500 receiver or was that just the same receiver series but one has network capabilities? Steve, you're usually up on these things...any idea?

No the RS500 Stereo Receiver was always independent of the RN500 Network Receiver. The RS500 has 75w/ch and NO DAC. The main sell of the RN500 (80w/ch) was the DACs and Networking capability.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS50....html?tp=47041

The Yamaha RN500 or the RN602 could be BETTER duplicated with individual components, but at a very substantially higher cost.

Even adding Streaming to the Yamaha AS501 (85w/ch, $550) Integrated with DAC combined with a good Streaming device would be massively expensive. Approaching $1000.

I would say that a Yamaha Integrated is better than a Yamaha Receiver, but the Receivers are still good, and are exceptional value for people trying to maximize their money.

The Yamaha RS300 (50w/ch) Receiver can be had for a very modest $280.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS30....html?tp=47041

The only thing that comes remotely close to the RN500 or the RN602 would be the Harman Kardon HK3770, 120w/ch, Bluetooth, Network Streaming, DAC at $400. An excellent deal, but I would rate the build quality on the Yamaha a bit higher.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_532HK37....html?tp=47041

Steve/bluewizard
post #4 of 10 Old 01-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
No the RS500 Stereo Receiver was always independent of the RN500 Network Receiver. The RS500 has 75w/ch and NO DAC. The main sell of the RN500 (80w/ch) was the DACs and Networking capability.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS50....html?tp=47041

The Yamaha RN500 or the RN602 could be BETTER duplicated with individual components, but at a very substantially higher cost.

Even adding Streaming to the Yamaha AS501 (85w/ch, $550) Integrated with DAC combined with a good Streaming device would be massively expensive. Approaching $1000.

I would say that a Yamaha Integrated is better than a Yamaha Receiver, but the Receivers are still good, and are exceptional value for people trying to maximize their money.

The Yamaha RS300 (50w/ch) Receiver can be had for a very modest $280.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS30....html?tp=47041

The only thing that comes remotely close to the RN500 or the RN602 would be the Harman Kardon HK3770, 120w/ch, Bluetooth, Network Streaming, DAC at $400. An excellent deal, but I would rate the build quality on the Yamaha a bit higher.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_532HK37....html?tp=47041

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for the info. The reason I was curious is that the Yamaha R-N500 is on my short list for my future receiver upgrade. I keep going back and forth between a receiver or an integrated amp & tuner. I have to have a tuner since I really enjoy listening to Jazz in the evenings off the local NPR station. A receiver is a cheaper alternative to the integrated amp which is what I would actually prefer. There is about a $300 difference though and I'm not sure going the integrated amp path is worth the extra money over a receiver.

Sony STR-DE545 Receiver | Sony CDP-CE315 5-Disc CD Changer | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers

"Vinyl-free since 1983"
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2016, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The reason I was curious is that the Yamaha R-N500 is on my short list for my future receiver upgrade. I keep going back and forth between a receiver or an integrated amp & tuner. I have to have a tuner since I really enjoy listening to Jazz in the evenings off the local NPR station. A receiver is a cheaper alternative to the integrated amp which is what I would actually prefer. There is about a $300 difference though and I'm not sure going the integrated amp path is worth the extra money over a receiver.
NPR is probably broadcasting through the Internet, and with Internet Radio, you get about 20,000 Internet Radio stations. I'm sure some are playing Jazz.

In a not so recent review, the reviewer incidentally mentioned that his favorite Internet Jazz Station was in Japan. You don't get that kind of reception with broadcast Radio.

In fact many Broadcast station also broadcast into the Internet, and even have Podcast archives of previous broadcast.

But with the RN500/RN602 you get the best of both worlds; you get Broadcast Radio and the Internet, not just internet Radio, but a fair list of Streaming Services like Spotify and Pandora.

For reference, the Yamaha R-S500 Radio Tuner runs about $300 Retail. Likely, if you can find it, you might get it for about $250. But that add considerable to the cost of a system.

Though to be fair, when the Apocalypse comes, likely broadcast will be on the air long after the Internet has gone down. But we only have to worry about that when the Apocalypse comes.

I think I mentioned this, but by and large, Integrated Amps are better than Receivers. However, Receivers can still be good.

But, count on spending a considerable amount of money to buy separate Networking, AM/FM, and an Integrated amp. I'm guessing that is going to run about $1200 to $1500 as opposed to the RN602 for about $600.

I had, actually still have, the equivalent of the Yamaha RS700 (mine was RX-797) with 100w/ch. I found if a very satisfying amp given the money I paid (just over half price).

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-13-2016 at 01:45 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-13-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 945
I have at least two "broadcast" NPR stations in my area. Sounds great in my home and my car.
I personally prefer broadcast over internet "streaming" for sound quality.

Just curious though... when the Apocalypse occurs, who will be broadcasting anyway? Who will care?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
I have at least two "broadcast" NPR stations in my area. Sounds great in my home and my car.
I personally prefer broadcast over internet "streaming" for sound quality.

Just curious though... when the Apocalypse occurs, who will be broadcasting anyway? Who will care?

Radio Free America & Radio Free Europe will be the last to broadcast.

Seriously though, in my situation, I live in a rural area and spotty DSL is the best I can get so internet radio or streaming services aren't very good however I do get great reception from the NPR station out of Virginia Tech hence the need for a Tuner. I like the USB aspect of the network Yamaha's though since it would allow me to play digital files off of an external hard drive or thumb drive. The family is planning to buy a house this spring so maybe my internet situation will change. ( I long for cable internet )

Thanks for the Yamaha info Steve.

"Vinyl-free since 1983"

Last edited by Pacodutaco; 02-20-2016 at 10:22 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-13-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Radio Free America & Radio Free Europe will be the last to broadcast.
AM, FM, Shortwave...?
You've watched "Red Dawn" too often.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-13-2016, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've had a R-N500 for like a year now. Super happy with it, just wish it had gapless playback. I think the 602 has gapless.
Anyway I upgraded to Parasound A21/P5 with intel NUC. So my R-N500 is basicly just sitting in a box now.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-20-2016, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have one arriving next week. Bought a used one (Like New) from Amazon for $479, no taxes or shipping charges. I'm excited to integrate with our whole home audio, MusicCast and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio
Gear in this thread