AVS Forum banner

Hooking up NAD Int Amp

5K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  SnoopGordo 
#1 ·
Hey all,
This is my first foray into the amp world so I have a few rookie questions.
I sold my 7 satellite speakers and decided to upgrade and go back to a 2 channel system.
I bought a used NAD C356BEE int amp and a pair of Focal speakers that are on their way.
Right now I have no speakers!
So I currently have a Pioneer receiver which all my other components are hooked up to.
The NAD is just sitting there.
When I get my speakers, can you give me a brief idea of how to hook them up?
I gather that I'm supposed to connect the NAD to my receiver, and hook up the new speakers to the NAD, correct?
This would be for 2 channel music?
I would still select my CD player from my Pioneer? Would the NAD only be for volume?

Thanks all,

Dan

#2 ·
Not sure why you want to use both the Pioneer receiver and the NAD integrated amp. You really only need one or the other (the speakers and other components, such as CD player, BluRay player, etc) can connect to either for 2-channel audio..

#4 ·
I gather that I'm supposed to connect the NAD to my receiver, and hook up the new speakers to the NAD, correct?
This would be for 2 channel music?
I would still select my CD player from my Pioneer? Would the NAD only be for volume?

Thanks all,

Dan
No, an integrated amp is integrated because it has a preamp stage. Same with a receiver. Both of them do the same basic job. The receiver doesn't have a line level output. It is designed to be the last component before the speakers just like your new amp. You will connect your stuff to the new integrated and put the receiver in the storage closet.

#5 ·
No, an integrated amp is integrated because it has a preamp stage. Same with a receiver. Both of them do the same basic job. The receiver doesn't have a line level output. It is designed to be the last component before the speakers just like your new amp. You will connect your stuff to the new integrated and put the receiver in the storage closet.
Not completely correct... I have a Pioneer 1018ah-k and a Pioneer VSX-32, both have line level outputs... I use a NAD C725BEE in my 2-Channel audio setup

#7 ·
Just place the NAD near the AVR and use both.

Turn one on for Surround Sound (when you have the speakers for it), turn the other on for 2 channel.

Its only the end for surround sound if you choose not to buy speakers for the AVR.

I wouldn't have bought the integrated amp, my AVR in 2 channel direct is just fine for stereo.

#8 · (Edited)
If your Pioneer has preamp outputs for the front left and right channels, connect them to the NAD's auxiliary input. The NAD will then power the front mains and the Pioneer will power all other channels. Set the NAD's volume knob straight up or on any easily repeatable setting that provides sufficient volume when using it with the Pioneer for surround purposes. The Pioneer becomes the control unit for surround-sound programming. The NAD is used alone for stereo sources. Connect digital sources to the Pioneer. Connect stereo analog sources to the NAD.

An alternative is to purchase a quality switchbox designed to connect two stereo power amplifiers to a pair of loudspeakers. You then select which front mains (Pioneer or NAD) you wish to utilize. In this configuration the Pioneer is used alone for surround and the NAD is used alone for stereo analog sources. Connect digital and stereo analog components as described above.

For awhile I used the excellent Niles DPS-1 switchbox, but it's a bit pricey. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Niles-Black-...F8&qid=1465771757&sr=8-1&keywords=niles+dsp-1

Reactions: SnoopGordo
#13 ·
I could see myself using my main L-R speakers with an integrated and as part of my (current) 5.1 system, until I get a completely separate 2-channel music listening room.

In my case what I would do is simply connect the Bluesound Vault, turntable, and CD player to the inputs of the integrated via RCA analog or digital, depending upon which unit has the better DAC. Connect the cable TV box, BluRay player and TV to the receiver via HDMI.

My speakers and sub are already connected to the receiver. I would run new speaker wire from the integrated to the back of the speakers, using a different color jacket. Because I have very easy access to the back of those speakers, I could easily switch which speaker wires are connected to the back of the speakers, as banana plugs (even the locking Blue Jeans Cable ones I have) take just a few seconds to swap.

The only fly in the ointment here is the output to the powered subwoofer. I could run the LFE cords from each source to the back of the sub, but I would have to change the settings on the back each time I switched the input because the receiver does bass control that the integrated doesn't.

At the very least, a setup like this using music that doesn't need a sub could be VERY telling about sound quality differences. The BluRay player could play a CD and I could set the receiver to a specific sound level while it plays a particular song. I could then take the same CD and put it in the player attached to the integrated and set the volume level of that same song to be exactly the same. This would tell me if there is any profound difference in sound quality of the receiver versus the integrated amp and I can then decide my next move.

So the OP might try doing a similar experiment to find if there is any real gain.

#18 ·
Doing this will not allow you to use the input sources on the NAD...

All analog connections should go directly to the NAD, and the front pre-out of the Pioneer to one of the analog inputs on the NAD otherwise, FWIK, analog input into the AVR will be digitized, run through the DSP chain and converted back into analog...
You can do all the audyssey and room correction as much as you want, the audio is never going to sound as good as going straight from the (analog) source to a stereo integrated...

I am a proponent of using an external DAC if you really need one,

IMO, AVRs are to be avoided at all costs in a 2-Channel audio setup scenario... they simply dump avoidable complexity into the mix... :D

#26 ·
Really great choice of components and speakers, you'll be surprised at how good the Node works. What streaming service do you have, if any? I use Tidal HiFi with my Vault and just love browsing new artists in all genres I hadn't heard before.

Post pics of stuff!

#28 · (Edited)
If you are using the analog RCA out from the Bluesound Node you'll appreciate the good quality DAC it has, though source material quality is the foundation. What type of files or streaming source would you be accessing with the Node?

With the speakers, how are they placed in relation to the rear and side walls, each other, and you the listener? They're standmount/bookshelf speakers, so what are the placed on and at what height in relation to your ears?

How about the room itself? Is it bare walls and a hard floor, or well furnished and lively? All these things can affect the output.

What exactly are you getting that doesn't agree with you?

#29 ·
I'm just downloading the BlueSound app now. The store that I purchased it from, the guy emailed me about 40 MQA files to check out. I used an optic cable with the node....I thought that would be better quality? But remember, I'm not the brightest. I also had to drive 15 miles just for an ethernet cable because it didn't want to connect wirelessly.
As for the speakers, I've only listened to one CD so far because my wife is sleeping. In that very short listening period I just found that they need to be loud in order to get the separation. I just hooked it up to my AVR, but this weekend it will be paired with my NAD so I'm hoping that will increase performance at low levels. The speakers are about 7' apart from each other, about 10" from the back walls, and I'm about 12 ft away. I'm certainly not complaining. I'm sure that there will be tweaking done. BTW, how exactly does one 'break in' a new pair of speakers?

I got the BlueSound app downloaded. Time to start playing with my new toys.

Thanks all,

Dan

#31 ·
I've had really good response via e-mail on their website, and they also have a pretty good forum where you might find answers. Post what error message(s) you're getting, maybe someone here HAS been through it. I had one small problem getting my Vault to access my computer files, but because I had recently updated to Windows 10 it turned out to be a setting on that which I had to change and everything has been working great since.

I just love sitting with my feet up and tablet in hand, playing all the music I have and can find on Tidal that interests me.

Best of luck to you.

#32 ·
Hey Ken,
Yeah, their tech support has been trying to hook up with me for a remote session, but they're available during the exact same hours that I'm at work.
I've posted on their forums and I'll post here (if there is a forum for Bluesound?) and hopefully I'll get some assistance.
I just got my Focal speakers and I'm dying to hear some of the MQA files that I have.

Dan

#33 ·
The Bluesound forum attached to their website (I'm registered there) can be very helpful. The Bluesound staff monitors posts and does respond, users also share willingly.

#35 ·
The C356 BEE is intended to be a 2-channel integrated amplifier. I don't know of many of the integrated amps in that unit's price range to have HDMI inputs, though NAD does offer an MDC module for the uplevel C390DD. On that unit the MDC "HDM-1" that gives 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI video pass through port. On those HDMI ports only the encoded 2 channel sound is extracted from DVD's and Blu-Ray disks.

I don't see any digital input at all. You would have to add the MDC "DAC" module to your C356 BEE (unless you bought the C356 BEE DAC version which has that module pre-installed.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.