• 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2016, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 146
2.1 Help needed.

I am putting together a Home Theatre system but currently only have a 2.1 setup. I will eventually have a 3.2 and than onto 5.2 but will always use 2.1 for music.

I know that the best quality sound comes from CD's and some vinyls. However I do not know what players and what else is needed. I have Ascend Sierra 2's hooked up to a Denon x4200w. Is that a good enough amp to run the speakers in a 2.1 setup?

What CD player is needed to get the lossless sound? Currently only have an xbox to play my movies and cd's but will buying an Oppo 4k player soon.

DO i need a seperate CD player? Do I need to run a seperate amp to my speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 458
IMHO- you don't need a seperate amp for those speakers.
For now your Xbox will work fine as a CD player until
You get the Oppo. (Also a very good CD player) You don't
Need a seperate CD player. Also all CD's are lossless.

What subwoofer are you running in your 2.1 system??

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2016, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
I am putting together a Home Theatre system but currently only have a 2.1 setup. I will eventually have a 3.2 and than onto 5.2 but will always use 2.1 for music.

I know that the best quality sound comes from CD's and some vinyls. However I do not know what players and what else is needed. I have Ascend Sierra 2's hooked up to a Denon x4200w. Is that a good enough amp to run the speakers in a 2.1 setup?

What CD player is needed to get the lossless sound? Currently only have an xbox to play my movies and cd's but will buying an Oppo 4k player soon.

The Denon AVR should have enough power to drive your speakers unless you like to rock out with the volume way up. Unless you're driving the Denon into clipping you should be fine with the internal amps in the Denon. Clipping isn't good for the AVR but can be worse on the speakers since they are getting a distorted signal which heats the voice coils and can cause one or more of the drivers to fail - usually a tweeter will be the 'canary' that something is wrong.

Adding a sub will alleviate the power needed by the AVR since you now have the sub doing the low frequency work. Generally speaking the lower the frequencies the more power that is required to maintain the listening level you've selected. A sub set at 80-100hz via the AVR's crossover points usually will not be localized - the higher the frequencies the sub is made to reproduce the more localized the sound from it becomes. I can locate sounds coming from a sub at around 120-150hz. You can experiment by cutting off the R/L speakers and listen for sound from the sub. Some people can locate a sub playing frequencies as low as 100hz - according to them. Set it at 60-80hz crossover with the main L/R speakers in the AVR and you should be good to go.

External amps are fun to play with - and of course many of them have fancy lights and and a few have great big meters (ohhh -ahhh!) but external amps aren't really needed unless you're going to play music so loud that clipping/distortion is heard. I've always preferred external amps - I don't even have an AVR or preamp/processor but I have 4 external 2 channel amps. My Oppo 103 has 7.1 analog RCA jacks and has volume control for the analog outputs - it does not have volume control for digital output. I don't watch many movies but I have 5.1 for those times that I do and all 5 of those channels have an external amp driving the speakers. Normal mode is 2 channel.

I'd venture to say that there are many more DVD & Blu Ray players playing CD's than there are CD players playing CD's - that includes my setup. Your Denon has some pretty decent DAC's built in - I'd run an optical or coax from your current DVD/Blu Ray player and see how well it performs. You might also try the analog outputs from that player to the Denon's analog inputs to see if you hear a difference. You will be comparing the DAC in your player vs the DAC in the Denon.

Denon 4520 - Acurus A100x3 - Salk Song Towers - Custom Selah Audio Center - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42
***GO SEAHAWKS *** Items For Sale Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2016, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
IMHO- you don't need a seperate amp for those speakers.
For now your Xbox will work fine as a CD player until
You get the Oppo. (Also a very good CD player) You don't
Need a seperate CD player. Also all CD's are lossless.

What subwoofer are you running in your 2.1 system??
I have 2 Reaction Audio Gamma 15's on order (getting amps switched before they ship, the rest is ready to go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
The Denon AVR should have enough power to drive your speakers unless you like to rock out with the volume way up. Unless you're driving the Denon into clipping you should be fine with the internal amps in the Denon. Clipping isn't good for the AVR but can be worse on the speakers since they are getting a distorted signal which heats the voice coils and can cause one or more of the drivers to fail - usually a tweeter will be the 'canary' that something is wrong.

Adding a sub will alleviate the power needed by the AVR since you now have the sub doing the low frequency work. Generally speaking the lower the frequencies the more power that is required to maintain the listening level you've selected. A sub set at 80-100hz via the AVR's crossover points usually will not be localized - the higher the frequencies the sub is made to reproduce the more localized the sound from it becomes. I can locate sounds coming from a sub at around 120-150hz. You can experiment by cutting off the R/L speakers and listen for sound from the sub. Some people can locate a sub playing frequencies as low as 100hz - according to them. Set it at 60-80hz crossover with the main L/R speakers in the AVR and you should be good to go.

External amps are fun to play with - and of course many of them have fancy lights and and a few have great big meters (ohhh -ahhh!) but external amps aren't really needed unless you're going to play music so loud that clipping/distortion is heard. I've always preferred external amps - I don't even have an AVR or preamp/processor but I have 4 external 2 channel amps. My Oppo 103 has 7.1 analog RCA jacks and has volume control for the analog outputs - it does not have volume control for digital output. I don't watch many movies but I have 5.1 for those times that I do and all 5 of those channels have an external amp driving the speakers. Normal mode is 2 channel.

I'd venture to say that there are many more DVD & Blu Ray players playing CD's than there are CD players playing CD's - that includes my setup. Your Denon has some pretty decent DAC's built in - I'd run an optical or coax from your current DVD/Blu Ray player and see how well it performs. You might also try the analog outputs from that player to the Denon's analog inputs to see if you hear a difference. You will be comparing the DAC in your player vs the DAC in the Denon.
Thank you for the info. I have my current cheap JBL sub crossed over around 80Hz and my Sierra 2's set up as small speakers. I currently only have my xbox for CD player Until I buy the Oppo, does optical out sound better than HDMI?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked: 2750
Quote:
I have 2 Reaction Audio Gamma 15's on order (getting amps switched before they ship, the rest is ready to go)
Hope you receive them in a timely manner. In the last couple of months, RA has been plagued with very delayed ship dates and also problems with refunding people's money when orders are cancelled.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 880
IMHO wait on the Oppo and use your Xbox for CD's as the weakest link seems to be the sub.

I'd get a servo sub for music; Rhythmik is the best bang/buck servo out there and they offer sealed as well as ported versions.
cel4145 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:

The OPPO BDP-103 is a very good universal player with tons of features, and it sells for $499. Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page