AVS Forum banner

Help with 2ch stereo decision. $500(ish) budget.

688 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Stainz 
#1 ·
I've just had an epiphany that I don't want to deal with an AVR anymore. I can set up a smart TV with a soundbar/sub combo, plug in a BluRay/DVD and be perfectly happy with that setup for watching video/streaming Netflix. I don't spend much time in front of the TV.

So that means I'm now in the market for a 2-channel stereo setup for music. I do spend a lot of time listening to music. Let's say my budget is $500. The speakers I have now are an old pair of Technics SB CR77, 8 Ohms, 200 Watts leftover from college that still sound surprisingly good. I would like to use these at first, but upgrade them down the line.

Currently, I've got a Denon AVR-1610. This receiver drives those speakers well enough, but I want to make sure I'm setting myself up for a speaker upgrade in the future.

• I listen to high quality digital music files (currently on a laptop w/external HD & MediaMonkey).
  • Stream Internet radio/pandora/etc… through that same laptop.
  • I'm currently using 3.5mm > RCA converter to supply what's on the laptop to my current receiver.
  • I listen to vinyl using the built-in pre-amp on my turntable, but a true phono input would be nice.
  • And normal FM radio of course.
  • I would like A/B zone capability.
  • I would consider last year's models, refurbished or even classic 1970s used models… any resources would be appreciated.

From the limited research I've done so far, it seems a fork in the road is whether to buy a networked or non-networked amplifier.

Non-Networked, I can continue to stream via the laptop… and continue to enjoy the features of Media Monkey for my digital music collection (we love the juke-box-esq Party Mode feature). I'm thinking I'll probably also get a better amplifier within my budget as I won't be spending the $ on networking features.

Networked, I'm free of the laptop, would probably need to figure out a DLNA setup for my digital music, and I would probably need a tablet to run the remote app for the Internet capable features. Is there a way to wirelessly play music through the laptop to the receiver without losing audio quality? That could influence this decision… it would be nice for the laptop to not be connected to the receiver.

I'm honestly leaning towards non-networked but not opposed to networked if it gets me superior sound for the price.

How many Watts am I going to need to power my current speakers and to allow for a speaker upgrade in the future? Looks like my current Denon AVR 1610 has 75W RMS Stereo.

It's interesting… I'm having a hard time finding many 2-channel products…

Looking at the Yamaha A-S line
  • Seems like the A-S501 would be a slight upgrade to 85w/ch, but at $549, it's at the top of my budget.

Looking at Onkyo TX series
  • The 8020only has 50W/ch… so that's out.
  • The 8140 ($349) adds Networking and 80w/ch with two channels driven and 110w/ch one channel driven (I'm assuming that if I want that 110, I lose the A/B Zone Capability.
  • The 8160 ($399) has the same power, but adds networking features that I understand (zone 2 digital > analog conversion) and some that I don't (WRAT, HCPS, Discrete Output Stage Circuitry)

And then there's the Sony (which I'm not sure I trust) STRDH130 claiming to have 270 watts.

I also found a Sherwood RX5502 4 Zone for only $153.99, but I'm not that familiar with their products and if reliable.

I guess I'm looking to you guys to help me understand why the Yamaha is so much pricier, and if the audio it produces is that much better and why…
Also what am I missing? What other brands/models should I be considering? Are there sites out there specializing in refurbished audio equipment?

I really appreciate any help you can give.... also, It's just it time for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals!

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd also take a look at the integrated amps from NAD, you can get some good deals on refurbs from Spearit Sound. What laptop are you using to stream? Is the 3.5mm jack the only audio out? I ask because you're most likely being hindered by the laptops built in DAC. You'd be much better off with an external DAC. I'm in the Apple universe and I stream wirelessly using AirPlay to an AirPort Express.

#3 ·
Look at accessories for less. Under the stereo receivers section:

Yamaha RS-700 100 wpc for 349

R-N500 Yamaha networked stereo receiver for 249. 80 wpc.

Don't discount just keeping your AVR a while. 75 wpc can probably drive things to pretty large db values unless you are getting some very insensitive 4 ohm speakers. If you ever add a sub, the avr will do a better job at bass management.

If you are happy with what you have now, I'd tend to do nothing. Why buy a piece of equipment for a speaker you haven't yet picked out? Wait till you upgrade the speakers down the road, then decide what might best suit them. Perhaps they are still 8 ohms, and fairly easy to drive and the denon does just fine.

With 2 speakers attached, an avr is nothing but a two channel stereo receiver with a few extra amps in it. Go ahead get the sound bar, pull out the avr and use it as a two channel stereo reciever till you decide what speakers you're going to get.

#4 ·
With 2 speakers attached, an avr is nothing but a two channel stereo receiver with a few extra amps in it. Go ahead get the sound bar, pull out the avr and use it as a two channel stereo receiver till you decide what speakers you're going to get.

This is probably what I would suggest also. I did what glangford suggested myself. I use a 20+ year old Sony 5.1 AVR in 2-channel mode and it works just fine. I will be upgrading as opportunities arise but until then I make do with what I have.

#5 ·
I guess I forgot a big piece of the story.

I would love to keep what I've currently got. It's working great right now as a stereo receiver, but the Denon is an old roommate's, and they've just requested it back.

So very soon, all I'll have is the speakers and nothing to power them.

So first thing I'll need is a new receiver... And I want to buy something that will let me upgrade to nicer speakers later.

Like I said, the 75w/ch works great for these Technics, but I guess I was assuming I would need/want more if I end up getting nicer speakers.

#7 ·
So first thing I'll need is a new receiver... And I want to buy something that will let me upgrade to nicer speakers later.

Like I said, the 75w/ch works great for these Technics, but I guess I was assuming I would need/want more if I end up getting nicer speakers.
You seem to think that new speakers will need something more to drive them. If your next speaker is an efficient speaker like Klipsch or BIC there would be no problem, even that Denon AVR would be fine with something in the 95db and up. Power is an overblown specification at any rate, even in this era of limitless information. The sad fact is doubling your amp power will only produce about 3db increase in sound pressure. 3db is hardly noticeable. 90% of speakers today can be driven to very loud levels with a decent mid-range AVR. AVR's have all you need to get decent sound. If you're thinking of getting electro-static speakers in the future you might be better off with separates or a hefty integrated amp that can cope with low resistance drops.

Thanks for this!

It's a Windows PC. I'll check out a DAC if I keep using the 3.5... Assuming I can do that.

I'll check out the recommendations.
You can get a very good USB DAC for your laptop - and best of all - they are very cheap. I've got one of these and it sounds quite good. I think you need at least USB 2.0 as the 1.0 port speed is limited in bandwidth.

If you just want a stereo receiver I have an Onkyo TX-8050 bought from A4L.com refurbished. I heartily recommend it. It's the model prior to the 8160. They are quite similar except for the 8160 having wireless I don't see much else that sets them apart. The 8050 only has a cat 5 input. I've never used it - mostly I use the front USB port and an 8GB thumb drive loaded with FLAC files. It's quite slow when first turned on as it has to scan the drive - takes about 1 minute. Works fine for me. The 8050 also has a couple of optical and coax connections on the back. It's a nice sounding receiver with 80wpc into 8ohms.

#9 ·
Typically, Yamaha gets better reviews and and less complaints than Onkyo products. Onkyo makes decent stuff but Yamaha tends to be looked at more favorably.

#11 ·
We have three 2-ch stereo systems. My office stereo is comprised of an Onkyo C-7030 CDP, Emotiva BasX A-100 (50 Wpc amp), and either a pair of Klipsch RB-81ii's or Heresy's. My bonus/hobby room has my recycled office equipment: an Onkyo C-7030 CDP and TX-8020 (50 Wpc!) driving a pair of NHT S1 2.1's (Relatively insensitive SPL of 86 dB.) or Klipsch R-15M's (SPL of 94 dB!). I also have my collection of three sub-woofers stowed there, if I need one (They don't see much use for my stereo music taste.). My wife wanted the Sony you mentioned (STDRH130) - not for the fictitious power rating, but because Best Buy also had the matching CD changer and they were out of Onkyo's! They drive the extra pair of Infinity P363's I had bought for my 7.1 HT (Onkyo) - which sounds fine as a 5.1 HT (Using six P363's - two as CC!). She likes her Sony's, although I showed her it got just as loud with my Onkyo 50 Wpc. I've never had a problem with an Onkyo product - or her Sony's. My Yamaha AVR's, an old 5 channel and it's replacement, a 5.1 channel, on the other hand, haven't aged gracefully. You can buy the Onkyo TX-8020 and C-7030, as well as a pair of Klipsch R-15M's, for ~$500 or less (Amazon) - a decent stereo that can add a turntable and/or sub-woofer, as well as other analog line inputs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.