Amazon Echo Dot vs Chromecast Audio streaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Amazon Echo Dot vs Chromecast Audio streaming

I fell in love with the original Amazon Echo in my kitchen. I use it for timers and streaming with Spotify or podcasts. The voice interface is perfect for Spotify. When the new Dot came out I bought a few for the house and put one on my bedroom audio system.

Sad realization time. The audio output from it is crap as far as I can tell. It doesn't have a toslink output so I have it hooked up with a 3.5mm to RCA wire. After a short while of "wtf is wrong with this" I switched in a Chromecast audio. It's a night and day difference (once full dynamic range output was enabled). The Dot sounds like the Chromecast did before enabling full dynamic range.

Maybe I'm missing something but the sole purpose of the Dot version of the Echo is to connect to external audio systems, and it sounds terrible! It's a shame, because the Echo is by far my preferred interface for streaming but it is unusable. Anyone else try this and come to any conclusions? I didn't see any Echo threads here, only Chromecast. Now I know why!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 122
i don't have Chromecast and only use Echo Dot for casual listening in a game room. It's a hodge podge system so I don't notice it's sq or lack there of. I mostly use dot for home automation (hue lights, Harmony remote) and it's great for that. how would you characterize the sound compared to the c cast?

post #3 of 5 Old 11-27-2016, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It seemed very compressed and thin sounding to me. I'm still going to hedge and say maybe I didn't have it set up right. Maybe there's a hidden setting similar to the Chromecast full dynamic range? I was using the analog output on both. But I can confirm that Chromecast audio sounds great, as reported in the Chromecast thread on this forum. I had it sitting in a drawer for the last year but reading up on streaming options got me to pull it back out and test with my new system.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2016, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use a chromecast audio via the S/PDIF output. Sounds great Echo devices are not for any critical listening.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Even with TosLink the Echo is crappy.

I found a way to get it to play hires off of a DNLA server but it will not pass direct, runs it through its own DAC and ruins it.

Would love to see a hi quality option to connect to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio