AVS Forum banner

What Sources for your 2 Channel System?

1K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  postrokfan 
#1 ·
So I just picked up a vintage cheap system and it came with a CD player. Now I may pick up a turntable down the road but was wondering what everyone uses for source(s)? Network player? Only a TT? Looking to plan my Music collection around my 2 channel system and build upon it. I will probably be limited with my Vintage luxman Amp but love to hear what everyone uses.

#2 ·
PC running JRiver loaded with FLAC files of all my CD's. I no longer use a CD player. This runs through a Dragonfly Black USB DAC to my integrated amp. Most of my listening is through my VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10x5 cartridge run through a Vincent PHO700 phono stage.

#9 ·
I would live to rip my CD's to my NAS and do something like this but my Stereo System is in another room from the computers. Any suggestions on a Network DAC unit (correct term?) if I wanted to stream FLAC files to my old Luxman Amp?

#5 ·
I gave up on vinyl years ago. (I still have a TT in the attic somewhere.) For the most part I spin discs. I'm in the process of reripping all my CDs to lossless format. Years ago they were ripped in 128kb for the typical 4gb iPod. When done I may try a server route, but more than likely I'll just use a usb with my Oppo-95. I bought a 256 gb SSD based usb flash drive. I'll load all my ripped CDs up and just leave it plugged into my Oppo 95. I have a lot of SACDs, that I can't rip however, and I'll continue to spin discs the majority of the time.

#6 ·
99% of my listening is of FLAC/MP3 @320 files from my dedicated desktop computer. It feeds my Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC which feeds my amp. I do still have a turntable ... and even a reel to reel in my system but they get little use.

#7 ·
I listen to CD's and files ripped from my CD's. I grew up in the vinyl era, so I've been there and done that and I have no desire to go back.

#8 ·
On each of my 2-Channel systems, I have a raspberry pi (recently changed to 3 from 2B) each with a hifiberry digi+ card. The digi+ on the primary system is connected coax out to a Behringer SRC 2496 and the one on the secondary system is connected to an arcam rlink DAC.
+/- 35k FLAC files stored on a NAS made out of a banana pi pro with 2x 2.5 inch 2TB drives in mirror mode.

Playback software is Jriver MC set up in audio mode only.

#11 ·
CDs, vinyl/concert DVDs/cassettes ripped to WAV via the analog audio out to my 35 year old NAD receiver.

So basically the CD player, TT and cassette deck are used rarely as sources as all my music resides in my computer now.

#14 ·
I use a dedicated CD player as my primary source. Lately, I've also been dabbling with a turntable and have been enjoying it as well.

#16 ·
For my 2.2 channel system in the man cave, CD, phone and USB connections into the club mixer

For the HT system in the house, BluRay, internet connected music and my vintage 1993 CD player.

Are formats like cars? Once they hit 20 to 25 years old they are "classic" or "vintage"? Next year, my CD player hits 25 years old so I gain the much desired retro badge. :cool:

#17 ·
Vintage in terms that the tech is old. Modern DAC's are so much better than 25 years ago. I just put my Pioneer Elite CD player in the storage room last night. It's probably from the early 90's.

Reactions: vzphoneman
#20 ·
My sources consists of the Oppo 203 for movies, MacBook Pro/Roon to stream in Tidal HiFi and a Cary 200/306 for CD music. Sometimes I will elect to include my sub for a 2.1 configuration but primarily will just listen in 2.0 mode for music.

#21 ·
I have a Sony HAP-Z1ES as primary source (DSF / FLAC playbacks and spotify connect), also have a Marantz SACD player that I occasionally will use to playback some SACD or new CDs to determine if they are worth converting to FLAC...

#22 ·
A great unit for streaming music, which I am listening to right now, is a Logitech Squeezebox touch. I have had it for years and is still a great little piece of gear. In case anyone is interested in one, someone here is selling one at a great price. Usually, they are being sold for over the old retail price.

#28 ·
I'm waiting to purchase a new player first time in like 16 years or something, holding out for Oppo 205, can't wait!

I've used PS3 as a blue ray player ever since I paid $500 for it when it released in 2006, back then a regular player was same money, so I chose to go that route for blue ray discs. Then came Xbox one, and now I'm ready to upgrade to a dedicated player with the latest dac's and USB network comparibilities. I don't even have 4k TV yet, but I'm sure I will future proof myself with oppo for at least the next 10 years.

I listen to my music, mostly to Spotify, digital CD rips, and some CDs from a MacBook pro laptop connected to this little amazing dac from guys at HiFimeDIY, the best $89 I have ever spent. Highly recommended!
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/9018-dac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
For digital files, I use Roon to play and manage my collection. I also have a dedicated transport (Oppo 203) for physical discs (DVDA/SACD/CD/Blu-Ray Pure Audio). Roon is cool, because you can route audio from your collection to anywhere (basically every output can have its own track playing, all the same track playing in synch, or any combination therein). A turntable is on my next list, as I have a small collection, but currently nothing to play it (old TT died ages ago, and it wasn't good). I'm looking at ClearAudio, possibly the Ovation, but it's spendy.

#31 ·
Roon is cool, because you can route audio from your collection to anywhere (basically every output can have its own track playing, all the same track playing in synch, or any combination therein).
How was the possess of having Roon catalog your collection? I have a huge collection of music files (6TB of FLAC & MP3@320) and I'm wondering how well it is at collecting all the metadata, covers etc.? Is it easy to organize everything once it's done?
I do not run a NAS but I do use a dedicated, purpose built computer for music storage and playback. I currently use Foobar for playback and like it very much.

#32 ·
I've ripped all my CD's to FLAC that I play via USB and I still listen to cassettes made from my LP collection.
I do everything through my AVR (see sig).

#33 ·
Stanton --- "I still listen to cassettes made from my LP collection."

Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 ... nice deck!

#34 ·
Stanton --- "I still listen to cassettes made from my LP collection."

Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 ... nice deck!
Yes...thanks! It's been rebuilt by Willy Hermann.

#37 ·
All my CDs were ripped to 320k ACC and put on a NAS a few years ago. I need to re-do the entire collection to lossless.
I use a Bluesound Node2 or DLNA IOS program called Creation5 to stream the NAS to an NAD C510 direct digital DAC/ Preamp to an NAD C356BEE in poweramp mode (bypassing the preamp in the C356) - Speakers are Harbeth p3esr's BCC type monitors.
I'll be honest - I stream from Tidal almost all the time because it sounds better than my 320k rips - that's why I need to re-rip them.
I also listen to Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music.
Spotify is going lossless soon and I've read that Pandora will soon offer on-demand streaming. If they do and it's lossless it will be awesome - They do a very good job discovering what I like...
It's all good. My new C510 has really been a nice upgrade. It has a ridiculously good volume control for my very small room. It brings out detail / bass at very low volume.
We also use AppleTVs in the living room and bedroom for airplay from the NAS, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify. (I need to pick one and drop the rest:))
JJK

#38 ·
My 2 channel setup source components are Oppo BDP-105D universal disc player, Music Hall MMF 5.1 turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, and Apple Airport

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.