Music Hall MMF2.2 or Mitsubishi DP-6 Quartz Automatic TT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Music Hall MMF2.2 or Mitsubishi DP-6 Quartz Automatic TT

I've had my music hall MMF2.2 for a while now and I love it. Upgraded to an acrylic platter. I recently acquired a mitsubishi dp 6 and all it needs is a new cart. I was already researching new carts to replace my mmf2.2's current Music Hall Magic 2 and bought a Goldring 1006. I originally was just going to swap my original mmf2.2 cart to the dp-6 and put the 1006 on the mmf2.2. However now I'm starting to think it might be better to put the 1006 on the dp-6 and make it my main tt. Any suggestions? I cant find much in terms of information and quality reviews of the dp-6 for reference and I don't really want to keep swapping the cart back and forth to see which is better as I don't want to chance messing up the new cart.

I'm using a schiit mani that connects to a onkyo TX Sr 805. Bi wire connection to two klipsch Ref-3 II tower speakers with a same series sub. Blue Jean cables to from the schiit to the Onkyo. The speakers are using canare 4s11 biwire cables. The entire setup runs through a monster power conditioner. The room, it's a music room, no special treatment. The speakers are about 7 feet apart from each other. The room is about 16x16

Last edited by rulother; 04-18-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulother View Post
I've had my music hall MMF2.2 for a while now and I love it. Upgraded to an acrylic platter. I recently acquired a mitsubishi dp 6 from my parents and all it needs is a new cart. I was already researching new carts to replace my mmf2.2's current Music Hall Magic 2 and bought a Goldring 1006. I originally was just going to swap my original mmf2.2 cart to the dp-6 and put the 1006 on the mmf2.2. However now I'm starting to think it might be better to put the 1006 on the dp-6 and make it my main tt. Any suggestions? I cant find much in terms of information and quality reviews of the dp-6 for reference and I don't really want to keep swapping the cart back and forth to see which is better as I don't want to chance messing up the new cart.

I'm using a schiit mani that connects to a onkyo TX Sr 805. Bi wire connection to two klipsch Ref-3 II tower speakers with a same series sub. Blue Jean cables to from the schiit to the Onkyo. The speakers are using canare 4s11 biwire cables. The entire setup runs through a monster power conditioner. The room, it's a music room, no special treatment. The speakers are about 7 feet apart from each other. The room is about 16x16

My advice would be to stay with the Music Hall turntable and invest in a much better cartridge. That is what I did.

Older direct-drive turntables are generally not very good, unless you get into some rather exotic expensive ones.

The Ortophon 2M Blue is one cartridge I would recommend, and there are others in the $250-300 range that are very good.

Be aware that Grado cartridges are not compatible with that turntable; you get a bad hum due to grounding problems.

I find the Klipsch Ref. 3 to be a very poor-sounding speaker. If it was my system, I would spend some time listening to

some speakers from KEF, Focal, Wharfedale, and PSB, and eventually get some speakers that sound a lot better.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2017, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so I'll just put the Goldring 1006 in the MMF then and use the old one for the DP-6. New speakers will be a down the road sort of thing for now. I love the speakers though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
turntable , vinyl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page