SMSL PRO Q5 to ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SMSL PRO Q5 to ?

When my Rotel 1070 amp died I replaced it with an SMSL Q5 PRO as a temporary measure. I am driving a set of Wharfedale diamond 10.2 (86 db speakers). The Q5 Pro sounds surprisingly good and can play reasonably loud with the Wharfedales. Would I hear the difference by going to a Yamaha S-801 or Cambridge Audio CAX-60 amplifier. I can't compare to the Rotel because the Rotel died in my old apartment (stone floors, large glass windows no drapes). I did not buy the Q5 pro until I moved to my new apartment (wood floors, rugs, draped windows). The system with SMSL Q5 pro in new apartment sounds much better than the system with the Rotel in the old apartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Your SMSL is a low powered amp with low power specs. What I would recommend is to move up the chain a big step. You want a big step up in power and power supplies. The Yamaha might do it but in the mass consumer audio segment, you might want to move up the chain one more step. I'm not sure where that puts you money wise but you are getting near to discounted integrated amps from Musical Fidelity, Creek, etc. Those amps at 50 or 60 wpc will outperform the amps you listed.
It's worth the extra money because a good solid amp will last you a long long time.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
Your SMSL is a low powered amp with low power specs. What I would recommend is to move up the chain a big step. You want a big step up in power and power supplies. The Yamaha might do it but in the mass consumer audio segment, you might want to move up the chain one more step. I'm not sure where that puts you money wise but you are getting near to discounted integrated amps from Musical Fidelity, Creek, etc. Those amps at 50 or 60 wpc will outperform the amps you listed.
It's worth the extra money because a good solid amp will last you a long long time.
Yes, you are right, maybe 20 real watts out of each channel for the SMSL. I guess my question is would the average person hear a difference at normal volumes between the SMSL and Yamaha S-801 or Cambridge Audio CAX-60 amplifier. Moving one step up the chain takes me from about a $1000 solution to a $1500 - $2000 solution. Also I am not so sure that my I would hear the difference between the $1k and $2k amps using my Wharfedale diamond 10.2 speakers.

post #4 of 5 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Just reading the specs it's hard to tell if an amp has the beef to make a difference. I've owned 50 watts amps that are powerhouses and 100 watt amps that were weak. My new 32 watt tube amp is stout. So I suggest getting a quality amp or a higher power consumer amp. The reason is that if you buy an amp that is a quality unit and has enough power to drive any loudspeaker, you can keep it and use it for 30 years or more. When you think of it that way, the extra bucks make sense. The Yamaha you picked out might do it, I don't know, however I have owned a Cambridge integrated that was 60 wpc and I thought was was slightly lacking in power.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Would J Gordon Holt switch from the SMSL to to the better amp (Cambridge, Yamaha)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio