2Likes
  • 2 Post By grasshoppers

post #1 of 13 Old 06-17-2017, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stereo receiver question

I'm looking to replace my vintage Carver 900 stereo receiver with something decent and reasonably priced ($350). I need a phono input, sirius/xm and a USB port that will allow me to connect and play my Ipod Touch directly. My Marantz SR5005 home theater receiver does all this but as far as a 2 channel stereo receiver, I haven't found any current units that have what I need. None of the new receivers connect the Ipod directly through the USB. I found a slightly used Onkyo 8050 that seems to cover all my bases but am wary of Onkyo. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or think the Onkyo might be okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-17-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 206
That's a tough list to fulfill on $350 for a new unit. Does it have to be a receiver? Really need a radio? For your iPod, could you connect an Apple TV and use AirPlay? Does the phono stage have to be internal?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 889
The Harman/Kardan HK 3770 is available refurb through Harman Audio for $225 and it will do most of what you want, it has phono and iPod direct, but no built-in satellite radio tuner. You could always just download the Sirius iPhone app and use that to stream it though.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C

post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 219
If I were going to do a 2 channel receiver, I'd probably do the new Onkyo TX-8270. It will do most of that as well, except XM radio, but you can stream xm from another device. New it's 499, but I'd expect a few to start showing up on accessories4less soon.

I wouldn't rule out an AVR from say accessories4less. You'll find one that does all that for near your budget and get some room correction to boot. I keep looking at integrateds, but the reality is if something happens to my AVR, I'll probably just get another one for my 2 channel rig.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
That's a tough list to fulfill on $350 for a new unit. Does it have to be a receiver? Really need a radio? For your iPod, could you connect an Apple TV and use AirPlay? Does the phono stage have to be internal?
Thanks for your reply. I would spend a little more to get what I want but I don't see anything that comes close. I just want to plug my Ipod touch directly into the USB and want an internal phono input. Additionally, and I guess most importantly, I forgot to mention that I also need a monitor loop as I have Bose 901s. So that's my main concern and I'll have to compromise on the USB connectivity.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
The Harman/Kardan HK 3770 is available refurb through Harman Audio for $225 and it will do most of what you want, it has phono and iPod direct, but no built-in satellite radio tuner. You could always just download the Sirius iPhone app and use that to stream it though.
Thank you. I took your advice and looked at the HK 3770 and that's when I realized I forgot to mention that I have Bose 901 speakers so need a tape/monitor loop for the equalizer. Now I'm back to square one.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
If I were going to do a 2 channel receiver, I'd probably do the new Onkyo TX-8270. It will do most of that as well, except XM radio, but you can stream xm from another device. New it's 499, but I'd expect a few to start showing up on accessories4less soon.

I wouldn't rule out an AVR from say accessories4less. You'll find one that does all that for near your budget and get some room correction to boot. I keep looking at integrateds, but the reality is if something happens to my AVR, I'll probably just get another one for my 2 channel rig.
Thank you. I don't think from what I see that the Onkyo 8270 will let me connect and play an Ipod Touch directly through the USB like with the 8050 but as I just posted, I forgot that I need a tape/monitor loop for Bose 901 speakers so that has just become my main concern.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Double your budget...but it should do what you want.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html
leecreek and 6TCycleHum like this.

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #9 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Double your budget...but it should do what you want.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html
Thank you! This gives me something else to compare to Yamaha S-700 (given I probably have to stay with the Bose for now although not by choic) The Outlaw doesn't allow the Ipod Touch thru USB though, only thru headphone jack and I'm not sure how that will get processed but seems to address all my other issues so thanks very much.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxmarch View Post
Thank you! This gives me something else to compare to Yamaha S-700 (given I probably have to stay with the Bose for now although not by choic) The Outlaw doesn't allow the Ipod Touch thru USB though, only thru headphone jack and I'm not sure how that will get processed but seems to address all my other issues so thanks very much.
For what it is worth...I use the mini-headphone jack input on the
Front of my original RR2150 for my iPod touch, it sounds great!!

Rythmik F12 subs
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #11 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Grasshoppers. Since I need the tape monitor loop function and phono input, I am looking at the Outlaw receiver you mention and the Yamaha S-700. I’m trying to compare them for the other functions I’d like – Sirius radio, Internet radio and lastly, Ipod connectivity. I see the Yamaha is Sirius ready but can only get internet and Ipod connect through dedicated docks which I don’t think they make anymore. I can’t tell if the Outlaw is Sirius ready or if I can get internet radio via Bluetooth or Ethernet. It’s a little confusing to me and I don’t want to make a mistake. Any thoughts about this would be much appreciated. Thanks, Laurie
post #12 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxmarch View Post
Thanks Grasshoppers. Since I need the tape monitor loop function and phono input, I am looking at the Outlaw receiver you mention and the Yamaha S-700. I’m trying to compare them for the other functions I’d like – Sirius radio, Internet radio and lastly, Ipod connectivity. I see the Yamaha is Sirius ready but can only get internet and Ipod connect through dedicated docks which I don’t think they make anymore. I can’t tell if the Outlaw is Sirius ready or if I can get internet radio via Bluetooth or Ethernet. It’s a little confusing to me and I don’t want to make a mistake. Any thoughts about this would be much appreciated. Thanks, Laurie
The 2160 is a brand new product. Lot more connectivity than my original. The best thing you should do is call Outlaw Audio direct
On Monday and ask them your specific questions. They are a pretty
Friendly bunch to deal with.

Can't you use your iPod for Sirius??

Rythmik F12 subs
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #13 of 13 Old 06-18-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
The 2160 is a brand new product. Lot more connectivity than my original. The best thing you should do is call Outlaw Audio direct
On Monday and ask them your specific questions. They are a pretty
Friendly bunch to deal with.

Can't you use your iPod for Sirius??
I will definitely call them. I don’t think I can use the Ipod for Sirius. Right now I have a separate Sirius XM receiver connected to the Carver (until it started humming) with an 8 inch to RCA and it works great. Not sure how to connect it to the Yamaha even though it is Sirius ready and not sure at all about the Outlaw. All this is a little complicated for me but fun to find out. Connecting the Bose EQ to either will be quite a challenge I’m sure but first I have to choose the receiver. I thank you so much for your help. Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page