Onkyo TX-8160 with eq? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2017, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Onkyo TX-8160 with eq?

Ok gents. I want to add an external eq to my 2 channel receiver. However, this newer Onkyo does not have the old Tape Monitor connections that older receivers had. I heard there is a way to add an eq using the Zone 2 function of this receiver? Is this possible? How would I even connect this?

Or

Can I simply put the eq between my turntable and my receiver since I mainly use it for records anyway? (although it would be nice to use the eq for the whole system)

Thanks

Back Panel:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-12-2017, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I'd get hold of the customer support people at mini dsp and ask them this.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2017, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I'd get hold of the customer support people at mini dsp and ask them this.
I am not really interested in a mini dsp. I just want to use an old school Graphic EQ with my 2 channel stereo.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Can I ask why you want an equalizer? You might want to look into a receiver with room correction or room treatments if you are looking to adjust the sound.

Jolida JD502B Integrated Amplifier, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Laptop loaded with JRiver playing FLAC files through Dragonfly Black DAC. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-12-2017, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Can I ask why you want an equalizer? You might want to look into a receiver with room correction or room treatments if you are looking to adjust the sound.
When listening to Vinyl, there seems to be too much mids for my liking and i would like to be able to scoop them a bit. Although, using a diff phono preamp may improve quality but still. The only eq options I have on this receiver are bass and treb. I am not going to look for another receiver.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dametalone View Post
When listening to Vinyl, there seems to be too much mids for my liking and i would like to be able to scoop them a bit. Although, using a diff phono preamp may improve quality but still. The only eq options I have on this receiver are bass and treb. I am not going to look for another receiver.
Thanks. I haven't seen this sort of equalizer on the market in a long time. Maybe there are alternatives. Can you tell us about your turntable, cartridge and speakers?

Jolida JD502B Integrated Amplifier, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Laptop loaded with JRiver playing FLAC files through Dragonfly Black DAC. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't seen this sort of equalizer on the market in a long time. Maybe there are alternatives. Can you tell us about your turntable, cartridge and speakers?

Ive seen a few out there both on the used an new market. Hell, id even go with something like this if there is a way to connect it: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Min...rds=graphic+eq

Turntable: JVC QL-A5 https://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/ql-a5.shtml

Cartridge: Nagaoka MP-110

Speakers: MTX AAL 2230
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Ive seen a few out there both on the used an new market. Hell, id even go with something like this if there is a way to connect it: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Min...rds=graphic+eq

Turntable: JVC QL-A5 https://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/ql-a5.shtml

Cartridge: Nagaoka MP-110

Speakers: MTX AAL 2230
Thanks. Have you considered upgrading your cartridge?

post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Have you considered upgrading your cartridge?
My cartridge is only a few months old and I am very happy with it. Especially coming from my old audio technica at100e. My last receiver was a early 90s Pioneer with a 7 band on board eq. I guess I have been spoiled because every receiver I have had until now has had this type of on-board eq setup. I just need to know if it is possible to hookup an EQ to my new onkyo.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
My cartridge is only a few months old and I am very happy with it. Especially coming from my old audio technica at100e. My last receiver was a early 90s Pioneer with a 7 band on board eq. I guess I have been spoiled because every receiver I have had until now has had this type of on-board eq setup. I just need to know if it is possible to hookup an EQ to my new onkyo.
OK. Best of luck then. I'm sure you'll find what you need and want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page