Earth Wind and Fire-The Columbia Masters - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sinosound

post #1 of 15 Old 07-13-2017, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Earth Wind and Fire-The Columbia Masters

I just purchased this CD box set and compared the CD, "Head to the Sky," with the SACD version of the same title that was mixed by Steve Hoffman. I regret to report that the Columbia Masters were very poor sounding compared to the SACD version. The SACD reminded me of how this Album sounded in vinyl. I am disappointed with my purchase of the box set thus far. Does anyone else own the Earth Wind and Fire Columbia Masters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-14-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Color me not surprised. If you want the EWF catalogue, start trolling used CD/records stores for early release CBS/Columbia/ARC compact discs where their albums are readily available and cheaper than a bundled box set.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliw View Post
Color me not surprised. If you want the EWF catalogue, start trolling used CD/records stores for early release CBS/Columbia/ARC compact discs where their albums are readily available and cheaper than a bundled box set.
I got caught in some review saying their albums were remastered with some oversight by Maurice White before he died. I guess there is a sucker born every minute. This is record label fraud.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I got caught in some review saying their albums were remastered with some oversight by Maurice White before he died. I guess there is a sucker born every minute. This is record label fraud.
There is an earlier EWF box set release(I can't recall the title) with some unreleased tracks, if you must have a box set. But much of their catalogue is readily available. I have 2 EWF SACD's(Gratitude & That's The Way Of The World by MoFi) and neither are sonic stand-outs though Gratitude has the quad mix upped to 5.1.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
There is an earlier EWF box set release(I can't recall the title) with some unreleased tracks, if you must have a box set. But much of their catalogue is readily available. I have 2 EWF SACD's(Gratitude & That's The Way Of The World by MoFi) and neither are sonic stand-outs though Gratitude has the quad mix upped to 5.1.
+1 on Gratitude, pretty decent mix for that particular SACD. It is nice once in a while to crank that one up. Really like to turn up Sunshine, as Phillips voice with the mix of the bad and the horns at the end finishing that song....pretty decent on my speakers.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really did not need the box set. I thought I was really going to get a sonic improvement of the disc I already own. The purpose of my post is to warn others. I do own the SACD, "Head to the Sky'" and it sounds awesome.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
+1 on Gratitude, pretty decent mix for that particular SACD. It is nice once in a while to crank that one up. Really like to turn up Sunshine, as Phillips voice with the mix of the bad and the horns at the end finishing that song....pretty decent on my speakers.
I agree, but this SACD is lacking on the bottom end.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I really did not need the box set. I thought I was really going to get a sonic improvement of the disc I already own. The purpose of my post is to warn others. I do own the SACD, "Head to the Sky'" and it sounds awesome.
Well, that's the bait to the switch, right? A new remaster release should be better than anything before it but it's not. It's only louder. In fact, it's very likely the master tapes has now deteriorated even more since it was used for the last release. We all have fallen for it. I got 3 copies of That's The Way Of The World.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, that's the bait to the switch, right? A new remaster release should be better than anything before it but it's not. It's only louder. In fact, it's very likely the master tapes has now deteriorated even more since it was used for the last release. We all have fallen for it. I got 3 copies of That's The Way Of The World.
I blame the record company but not Earth Wind and Fire. But, no more purchases for me. I just hope others aren't doped like me or us.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
I agree, but this SACD is lacking on the bottom end.
True gbaby, it does not have bottom end, but I di not but EWF for bottom end. I sure did enjoy seeing them last year. Hearing Phillip in concert and being a Falsetto, was just amazing with him hitting those notes.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-16-2017, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Amazing brass

Quote:
I own the same SACD Head to Sky and it is MY FAVORITE disc to listen to. My first concert was EWF believe it or not! Amazing brass section and the SACD is like a time transporter!
gbaby likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-16-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I blame the record company but not Earth Wind and Fire. But, no more purchases for me. I just hope others aren't doped like me or us.
That's exactly where the blame belongs. But it will not preclude from music fans to buy their music all over again and again under a new, improved banner.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-16-2017, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's exactly where the blame belongs. But it will not preclude from music fans to buy their music all over again and again under a new, improved banner.
I guess this is the reason for my post; to keep others from being a sucker like me. I wish someone had been honest enough to let me know this truth. You should look at the Amazon reviews. That's where I go suckered. I could not find any meaningful reviews elsewhere.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I guess this is the reason for my post; to keep others from being a sucker like me. I wish someone had been honest enough to let me know this truth. You should look at the Amazon reviews. That's where I go suckered. I could not find any meaningful reviews elsewhere.
After a few examples, I learned my lesson about double-dipping or re-buying the same music over again. Unless there's something compelling on the release, I usually bypass it. The last round of EWF re-masters were padded with some unreleased studio outtakes. I'm still looking for the Dance, Dance, Dance track from the Rock And Rule cartoon movie.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Use the dynamic range database website for release information of "measured" dynamic ranges... it's been a godsend for albums that have multiple releases.

Astell & Kern AK120ii-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Sony MDF-Z7
Pioneer SC85-NBS Preamp-Bel Canto REF500M-Dennis Had Inspire Hotrod
Klipsch La Scala II-Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page