1Likes
  • 1 Post By Knucklehead90

post #1 of 4 Old 07-14-2017, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
2.1 for PC

I have been slowly working on my ultimate desk setup for my PC's and have decided that my new project would be audio. I saw a video that detailed a pair of polk audio bookshelves and a stereo amplifier while giving a compact amp as a possibility. I wanted to see if I can get some advice on selecting a compact 2.1 amplifier. My HT setup is Denon and klipsch vf-36 filled out to 5.1 I have wanted to try out some other brands for a while so recommendations would be appreciated. I was currently looking at a max budget of $250 w/o subwoofer (but it can go up if needed). Are there any quality compact amp's or should I just find a cheap stereo amp?

Follow up thought, I have always wanted to go the amp/pre-amp route just to see what it's all about and maybe this could be a starting point. I could start cheap and when I want to upgrade I can give this to my blind friend who I need to get PC speakers for anyways.

edit: I have been looking around and found a pyle and an audiosource 2 channel amp and I'll worry about the sub later. Thoughts? Also I ran across some tube amp's and I'm so intrigued. I'm going to guess that they don't fit into a desktop PC and probably aren't that durable not to mention I'm sure the cheap ones aren't that great, but I think it's really cool. Gonna do a little looking around just out of curiosity.

Last edited by petriebird; 07-14-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-15-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 664
I have a Altec Lansing computer speaker set hooked up For me at near field it sounds surprisingly good. XA 2021 Over my right shoulder is my vinyl setup tho. YMMV
post #3 of 4 Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok I went with an SMSL SA-160 and a pair of Polk TSi-100. I didn't really know what I was looking at so I just went with my gut and budget. Hopefully this will be a good start in stereo audio.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 423
A good start, yes. You might want to consider adding a small sub to that setup. The Polks play down to 61hz according to Polk Audio. You'll be missing an octave or so of low end sound without a sub. You'll need a sub with speaker level inputs since your amp has speaker level output only. A small sub that is getting a lot of attention lately is the Emotiva BasX 8" sub. It plays down to 28hz +/- 3db. Plenty low for most all music.
petriebird likes this.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - Acurus A100x3 & Outlaw 7075 amps - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
Vinyl Room: Emotiva PT-100 - ST-120 amp - Acoustic Research AR-2ax - Marantz TT42 - Oppo 103
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page