Stereo receiver upgrade help. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Stainz
  • 2 Post By 6TCycleHum

post #1 of 14 Old 07-16-2017, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Stereo receiver upgrade help.

Looking to upgrade my system with a stereo receiver on a budget. I've been considering the Onkyo TX-8020 but I've also been offered a used Technics SA-290. It would pretty much be used exclusively for listening to records (U-turn Orbit). Speakers are Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelves. What's going to give me better sound: the brand new Onkyo or the old used Technics (assuming it still works properly)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-16-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwinterskies View Post
Looking to upgrade my system with a stereo receiver on a budget. I've been considering the Onkyo TX-8020 but I've also been offered a used Technics SA-290. It would pretty much be used exclusively for listening to records (U-turn Orbit). Speakers are Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelves. What's going to give me better sound: the brand new Onkyo or the old used Technics (assuming it still works properly)?
Surprisingly the new Onkyo is heavier than the 1980s vintage Technics as quality stereo receivers from back then were HEAVY.

1980s is too old IMHO not to have some issues.
leecreek likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 14 Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I've owned the Onkyo 8020 years ago. It is a plain jane 50wpc receiver. Sounded pretty good but didn't have much flexibility - no sub connection & no DAC. You'll probably want a sub with those speakers. I have an Onkyo 8050 that has all those connections and more. It's been replaced by the 8140 & 8160 wireless networking receivers. Integra markets the DTM-40.7 stereo receiver for a bit more money - and a few more features than the 8160 - and refurbished comes with a 2 year factory warranty.

If you're interested in a used 8050 I have one I'm willing to sell. I haven't used it in about 6 months. It's in excellent condition and IMO has excellent sound quality. PM me if you are interested. I'll be putting it up for sale on the classifieds some time in the near future. Like when I get the time.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - VTA ST-120 (6550 output tubes) - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
Vinyl Room: Emotiva PT-100 - Acurus A100 amp - Acoustic Research AR-2ax - Marantz TT42 - Oppo 103
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields

post #4 of 14 Old 07-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 973
I am waiting untill my budget reaches the Outlaw Receiver.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
FWIW the budget RX-V4XX and RX-V5XX line of Yamaha receivers has a good reputation.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My TX-8020 will be three years old next month and it still functions flawlessly. It has a clearly labelled line level L+R 'SUB' output to the left of the two sets of speaker outputs. It only outputs when Speaker A is chosen. If you have one set of speakers, you can use speaker B - and control the sub's on/off by also selecting A, although the remote won't select speakers. It's distortion is slightly lower than either the 8140 or 8160 models - and rated with both channels driven. Although 'only' 50 Watts rms (both channels driven) at 8 Ohms, it can be set for 4 Ohm outputs via the remote. It also can be connected to my C-7030 CDP and control it, too. It's AM tuner works about as well as is typical for the lot these days, while it's FM tuner has better quieting than anything short of my long gone Lafayette Radio dedicated tuner, which was legendary. It also has a MM low level phono input and ground terminal, which I have never used. It's a steal for $149 from Amazon! Heck, so is the Onkyo C-7030 CDP (I have two of them!), even though it's $.99 more.

Mine originally drove Infinity P163's (Ho hum...), by 12/14 it drove NHT S1 2.1's, by 11/15 Klipsch RB-81ii's (Wow!), by 9/16 Heresy's (WOW!). It is now connected to the NHT S1 2.1's, despite their relatively low sensitivity and now in a larger room, it is plenty of power for my needs.

Last edited by Stainz; 07-25-2017 at 09:24 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainz View Post
My TX-8020 will be three years old next month and it still functions flawlessly. It has a clearly labelled line level L+R 'SUB' output to the left of the two sets of speaker outputs.
So it does! My bad - I was going off memory. A 69yo memory at that - not as sharp as I once was. I never did use the sub out with the 8020. Having no DAC is what caused me to move on to something else. I still have the 8050. I think when I upgrade it'll be to the Onkyo 8270 since it has those most important HDMI inputs. I bet more stereo receivers (and maybe some integrated amps too) will be utilizing HDMI ports. I like flexibility when I buy audio gear. Like I said, the 8020 sounded fine to me.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - VTA ST-120 (6550 output tubes) - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
Vinyl Room: Emotiva PT-100 - Acurus A100 amp - Acoustic Research AR-2ax - Marantz TT42 - Oppo 103
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #8 of 14 Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
The Onkyo TX-8020 run about $200 with 50w/ch. I have an older TX-8255 (50w/ch) and I find the amp exceptionally clear, though perhaps a bit thin on bass. Though that could simply be contrast to my Yamaha Receiver. I would say the Yamaha is not quite as clear as the Onkyo but has a bit stronger bass.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

So, can we assume that $200 is the limit of your budget?

In low cost, though a bit more expensive, consider the Yamaha RS300 (50w/ch) and the Yamaha RS500 (75w/ch) -

For the money, these low end Onkyo are exceptional value. But, if you can spend more, you can get more.

Do you actually need a Receiver (AM/FM Radio)?

Yamaha does make a very low end Receiver, the RS201 and the RS202, the Yamaha RS202 has the addition of Bluetooth capability.

100w/channel, NO phono in.

I use my TX-8255 on my computer and am very happy with the results. Like I said, an exceptionally clear amp.

Steve/bluewizard
post #9 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
So it does! My bad - I was going off memory. A 69yo memory at that - not as sharp as I once was. I never did use the sub out with the 8020. Having no DAC is what caused me to move on to something else. I still have the 8050. I think when I upgrade it'll be to the Onkyo 8270 since it has those most important HDMI inputs. I bet more stereo receivers (and maybe some integrated amps too) will be utilizing HDMI ports. I like flexibility when I buy audio gear. Like I said, the 8020 sounded fine to me.
I can overlook your advanced age. After all... I won't be 69 until... SUNDAY!

I had a 10+ year old 5.1 (HTR-5640) and a 20 year old 5.0 (RX-V480 - with low power rear channels) which I had tried to recycle as just a 2.0 stereo. They were bassier - I thought it was an undefeatable loudness contour. Their remotes were worn out and I could detect a bit of distortion on cymbals, triangles, etc - so I elected to try a new 2.0 receiver. My Onkyo 7.1 AVR had impressed me with it's reliability and function, so I first ordered a C-7030 CDP - then a TX-8020 - wow - high frequency distortion was gone - cymbals and triangles sounded right - as was the proper amount of bass (I use 'Direct' and bypass the tone controls.). I bought a second C-7030 for my office stereo two years ago, thinking I'd add another 8020... wrong! Short supply had driven the price up, so I bought a close-out priced Emotiva a-100 mini-X 50 Wpc power amp with one input and a volume control. Where you want flexibility - I opted for simplicity. Still, I want to order another 7030 and 8020... it's an illness, I know!
Knucklehead90 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-27-2017, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
I'm surprised that there aren't more two channel receivers with HDMI particularly at the lower cost point. That would seem to target a demographic of folks who have universal players who aren't going to have a HT system as well as a separate two channel system. So connection to a blu ray player for movie and cd (or sacd and dvd-a) playback would be highly desirable. There are some out there, but only at the high end. Lyngdorf and Classe both have integrateds with hdmi as well as NAD. The lyngdorf and NAD require appropriate modules to be purchased. Recently Arcam has come out with a stereo AVR SR 250 which has dirac room correction as well. The Lyngdorf also has room correction with it's own developed Room Perfect. None of these options are what I'd call cheap and readily available. The Onkyo is the only product I know of at reasonable costs with this capability. It'd be nice to have room correction as well, although with a purchased mini dsp, the Onkyo + dsp would still be cheaper than any of these other options. (I'm guessing without a tape loop for using a mini dsp, the zone two pre-outs could be used for a mini dsp hookup.) Hopefully more options with HDMI will come out in the two channel world. It's now small wonder that many including myself just default to an AVR.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-29-2017, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I'm surprised that there aren't more two channel receivers with HDMI particularly at the lower cost point. That would seem to target a demographic of folks who have universal players who aren't going to have a HT system as well as a separate two channel system. So connection to a blu ray player for movie and cd (or sacd and dvd-a) playback would be highly desirable. There are some out there, but only at the high end. Lyngdorf and Classe both have integrateds with hdmi as well as NAD. The lyngdorf and NAD require appropriate modules to be purchased. Recently Arcam has come out with a stereo AVR SR 250 which has dirac room correction as well. The Lyngdorf also has room correction with it's own developed Room Perfect. None of these options are what I'd call cheap and readily available. The Onkyo is the only product I know of at reasonable costs with this capability. It'd be nice to have room correction as well, although with a purchased mini dsp, the Onkyo + dsp would still be cheaper than any of these other options. (I'm guessing without a tape loop for using a mini dsp, the zone two pre-outs could be used for a mini dsp hookup.) Hopefully more options with HDMI will come out in the two channel world. It's now small wonder that many including myself just default to an AVR.
While I understand what you are asking for I simply do not see the point, the reason multi-channel are so affordable is because manufacturers can move them in large number. You can just use two channels.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-29-2017, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
I am waiting untill my budget reaches the Outlaw Receiver.

Yup, can't beat the RR2160 as far as features.
outofprint and leecreek like this.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fRzzy View Post
While I understand what you are asking for I simply do not see the point, the reason multi-channel are so affordable is because manufacturers can move them in large number. You can just use two channels.
how about the Integra DTM-7? It has HDMI and lots of bells and whistle with a very attractive price point.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has anybody gotten the Outlaw RR2160 and would like to provide feedback after some usage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page