High end audio has become obsolete...... - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 491Likes

post #241 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 8891
Why facts don't change our mind.
rboster likes this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening to" blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I am afraid OP has a point to make and nothing will change his mind

here is a good article, first published in 1994, on the subject

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rip-high-end-audio

me I still reject the premise of this thread: if you look up the meaning of obsolete it simply does not apply
Heck, you don't even have to leave this site.

The New York Audio Show 2014: Reality Check

Is High-End Audio Obsolete?
post #243 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
For me the nuances of wine are lost on me. I don't have an "educated" palate/taste for the flavor profiles. Does my lack of understanding/education mean that those that do know what to look for or have an appreciation for those nuances make them wrong? Of course the answer is "no".

I think the same applies here. The OP has a position and IMHO, will not take the time to understand the reason for the opinion of others. This means read, listen and seek out those educated in dynamics of sound and music reproduction. Do I blame someone for NOT wanting to invest that time...heck no....that's a lot of effort. BUT, one shouldn't start threads like this if they aren't prepared to fully immerse themselves in the education process.

Right now OP you are repeating your mantra of "I don't hear it"...fair enough...and your actions say, I don't want to invest the time or effort to educate myself in understanding what others are hearing. If not, you shouldn't be starting threads like this....or if you do expect a backlash.

I'll defer to Mark, who has invested 18 years of volunteer moderation on AVS.....that's a lot of free time the rest of us have enjoyed doing other things...so tip of the hat to Mark for giving back his time to this community. If Mark hasn't thrown in the towel, then defer to his expertise.

Ron
And Mark will still be doing this another 18 years. Right Mark?

post #244 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
For me the nuances of wine are lost on me. I don't have an "educated" palate/taste for the flavor profiles. Does my lack of understanding/education mean that those that do know what to look for or have an appreciation for those nuances make them wrong? Of course the answer is "no".

I think the same applies here. The OP has a position and IMHO, will not take the time to understand the reason for the opinion of others. This means read, listen and seek out those educated in dynamics of sound and music reproduction. Do I blame someone for NOT wanting to invest that time...heck no....that's a lot of effort. BUT, one shouldn't start threads like this if they aren't prepared to fully immerse themselves in the education process.

Right now OP you are repeating your mantra of "I don't hear it"...fair enough...and your actions say, I don't want to invest the time or effort to educate myself in understanding what others are hearing. If not, you shouldn't be starting threads like this....or if you do expect a backlash.

I'll defer to Mark, who has invested 18 years of volunteer moderation on AVS.....that's a lot of free time the rest of us have enjoyed doing other things...so tip of the hat to Mark for giving back his time to this community. If Mark hasn't thrown in the towel, then defer to his expertise.

Ron
Hear, hear!

A shout out to all of the moderators who display incredible patience with our humorous bickering !

Sincerely... Cheers guys!

Last edited by Shadowed; 07-25-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #245 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
And Mark will still be doing this another 18 years. Right Mark?
I hope to: unless all this gear is deemed obsolete
rboster, gbaby, TheKrell and 3 others like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #246 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I think the OP means well. He just has not listened to enough equipment to know you can get a high end sound for less than a high end price. I never liked the sound of B&W or the Revels. Just a personal opinion. I remember Harmon Kardon buying Infinity Systems and turning the speaker brand into a low fi speaker and promoting its over priced Revels. You have to have a little knowledge. In any event, I encourage him to keep listening and keep learning.
markrubin and JA Fant like this.
post #247 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I think the OP means well. He just has not listened to enough equipment to know you can get a high end sound for less than a high end price. I never liked the sound of B&W or the Revels. Just a personal opinion. I remember Harmon Kardon buying Infinity Systems and turning the speaker brand into a low fi speaker and promoting its over priced Revels. You have to have a little knowledge. In any event, I encourage him to keep listening and keep learning.
Very fine points- gbaby.
You touched on the most important point, get out to the dealers/retailers and listen, listen, listen.
gbaby likes this.
post #248 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Well I kind of think that was the OP's point really. I mean it has gotten lost in all the bickering and back and forth. But you don't NEED to spend $10,000 on a speaker to have high end sound anymore. You have more and more speaker brands that are putting out speakers that can in some cases be comprable to those $10,000 speakers. It used to be whatever brand you could find at the local stereo store, in many cases it was something like Sears or similar places that also sold tv's was all you could get unless you went to a high end boutique and looked. But now you have a thriving internet direct sector going on that produce really good speakers and you don't end up with a %40 markup (I made that number up I honestly do not know the markup on speakers) from the retailer, and you have a thriving DIY world that are selling really good kits with cheap but good sounding speakers and good crossovers for 1/5th the price of a store bought unit.
post #249 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Does no one else see the absurdity here?

We have a stubborn audio novice who speaks in absolutes claiming to be an objectivist, while making decisions based on subjective criteria, shouting out demands and judging what are acceptable replies.

It's positively surreal.

As to the demand that the question, "Should i trust the books and info over my own ears?" be answered, I'll acquiesce.

Yes.

If you read the links I left you on this you would not be asking.

Always trust science over your senses.
I am a moderator on other internet forums (car and timepiece related) and after a short time you can tell a poster's intent by the thread title. It's clear this poster was picking a fight and his posts IMO bear this out. I strongly disagree with his premise and anyone with any hifi experience and an open mind can tell a $50K system from a $1K system given all else equal (ie: the room).
eljr, Scotth3886 and ct221933 like this.

Jolida JD502B Integrated Amplifier, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Laptop loaded with JRiver playing FLAC files through Dragonfly Black DAC. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #250 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Thumbs up

Perhaps a better title to this thread would have been: You don't need expensive equipment to get great sound. Would have encouraged members to show off their budget and mid-fi systems w/out all this useless arguing. How we use words matters.
rboster, markrubin, eljr and 4 others like this.
post #251 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
I am a moderator on other internet forums (car and timepiece related) and after a short time you can tell a poster's intent by the thread title. It's clear this poster was picking a fight and his posts IMO bear this out. I strongly disagree with his premise and anyone with any hifi experience and an open mind can tell a $50K system from a $1K system given all else equal (ie: the room).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Perhaps a better title to this thread would have been: You don't need expensive equipment to get great sound. Would have encouraged members to show off their budget and mid-fi systems w/out all this useless arguing. How we use words matters.
Mind readers. I guess we are in the age of click bait. Add a little levity to the thread.....May I suggest a title change?

"Some High End Luxuries are now Obsolete: One will surprise you."

"One Luxury Item You Should Never Spend High Dollars On"

"One High Dollar Item Your Parents Wasted Money On (The Millennials Saw Right Through It)"

Last edited by rboster; 07-25-2017 at 03:30 PM.
post #252 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 142
The speakers you mentioned are merely chump change in the world of ultra high end audio.

I auditioned $200,000 Wilson Audio, $250,000+ Kharma speakers, $270,000 Genesis speakers and other brands in that price range and was left utterly unimpressed. Then again I've heard $500,000 speakers and $5500 headphones which I consider the greatest auditory moments of my life.
eljr likes this.
post #253 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 77
What's funny about this thread is you have a group of guys debating a guy over a couple sets of speakers they have never heard.(nor are they making an attempt) Before i had either a set a great poster by the name FMW, made the proclomation that these(RBH R55TI's) sounds like high end speakers with proper sub and setup. I never questioned it , but i wasn't sold either. I later decided to order the speakers and low and behold i discovered he was right. This has been a funny thread to watch unfold.
post #254 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Well I kind of think that was the OP's point really. I mean it has gotten lost in all the bickering and back and forth. But you don't NEED to spend $10,000 on a speaker to have high end sound anymore. You have more and more speaker brands that are putting out speakers that can in some cases be comprable to those $10,000 speakers. It used to be whatever brand you could find at the local stereo store, in many cases it was something like Sears or similar places that also sold tv's was all you could get unless you went to a high end boutique and looked. But now you have a thriving internet direct sector going on that produce really good speakers and you don't end up with a %40 markup (I made that number up I honestly do not know the markup on speakers) from the retailer, and you have a thriving DIY world that are selling really good kits with cheap but good sounding speakers and good crossovers for 1/5th the price of a store bought unit.
Glad you understand, I think my intent was very clear, however several posters decided to attack rather then educate themselves on the speakers and equipment i posted...
thank you
post #255 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also no one commeneted on all of the info I posted in this thread, even the quotes from professional reviewers about how good these speakers are were simply passed over, yet i gave fair credit to several posters......
post #256 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
even the quotes from professional reviewers about how good these speakers are were simply passed over.
I agree, you ignored the link I posted to a review of the Fluance speakers.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

post #257 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will give OP credit that he has chosen a great set of speakers that make him happy, and considers no further improvements are possible: and I realize that many feel that high end audio has reached a plateau

and OP, in return, has agreed some valid points have been made that high end audio is not dead

maybe that is as good as it gets and we should call it a day?

Sort of reminds me of this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Holland_Duell
post #258 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Sure, that would be fine.

I've personally almost always have had budget systems in addition to some pretty bleeding edge stuff over the years. It gave me perspective and still does. However, even my high end system is pretty cheap these days in comparison to what I did 20 years or so ago. And my budget system goal was easy .... the best sound I knew how to put together and keep it all under a $1,000. I get my money's worth as it's on about 18 hours per days. It is the most revealing on the planet? Hell no, but it also doesn't drive me nuts as the other one does on about half of the recorded material. I mean, what good does it do to be acutely aware of the HVAC cycling on and off during a recording or a million other distractions that I'm sure that 'they' had no idea they were capturing?

It similar to my Nikon D750 and D7100 in that it captures way more detail than does the human eye and sometimes requires me to go into Photoshop to back it down a bit.
SuperFist likes this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 07-26-2017 at 03:16 AM.
post #259 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3106 Post(s)
Liked: 2405
Quote:
Also no one commeneted on all of the info I posted in this thread, even the quotes from professional reviewers about how good these speakers are were simply passed over, yet i gave fair credit to several posters......
I could care less what professional reviewers have to say. Show me measurements. The correct measurements.

BTW, the available measurements for your speakers in the review are very good. That is the reason you like them so much.

But there are speakers that measure better, and those differences are audible in double blind listening tests in a statistically significant way.

Price has nothing to do with any of this.
Steve Kuester and SuperFist like this.
post #260 of 515 Old 07-25-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I for one, couldn't care less what the most measurements say. Okay, efficiency yes and impedance yes, but that's about it. Just let me experience the speakers, preferably in a room I'm familiar with using a stereo pair, never one at a time. I'll lLet the designers worry about measurements.

Price seems to have much to do with scale

Last edited by Scotth3886; 07-26-2017 at 06:19 AM.
post #261 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last edited by eljr; 07-26-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: duplicate post
post #262 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Price has nothing to do with any of this.
Is this to say you find no general correlation between speaker prices and performance?

That may be overstating your otherwise agreeable case.

For example, the Fluance speakers, being discussed by the reviewer I posted the link to, keep qualifying the review in terms of "for what they are" "for the price."

The review was from Audioholics, know as an objectivist on line magazine.

Quote:

Absolutely.

post #263 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
What's funny about this thread is you have a group of guys debating a guy over a couple sets of speakers they have never heard.(nor are they making an attempt) Before i had either a set a great poster by the name FMW, made the proclomation that these(RBH R55TI's) sounds like high end speakers with proper sub and setup. I never questioned it , but i wasn't sold either. I later decided to order the speakers and low and behold i discovered he was right. This has been a funny thread to watch unfold.
We shouldn't be focusing on listening to specific speakers. That's not the premise of the thread you started. You made a very specific claim which many find highly questionable.

Regarding this specific post, you add a lot of conditions. If you take a high end 2.1 or 2.2 system that is set up properly I think the difference will be easily noticeable.

Jolida JD502B Integrated Amplifier, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Laptop loaded with JRiver playing FLAC files through Dragonfly Black DAC. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #264 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I for one, couldn't care less what the most measurements say. Okay, efficiency yes and impedance yes, but that's about it. Just let me experience the speakers, preferably in a room I'm familiar with using a stereo pair, never one at a time. Let the designers worry about measurements.

I agree completely.

post #265 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I for one, couldn't care less what the most measurements say. Okay, efficiency yes and impedance yes, but that's about it. Just let me experience the speakers, preferably in a room I'm familiar with using a stereo pair, never one at a time. Let the designers worry about measurements.

Agreed. fair credit to you sir..
post #266 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
To all who have posted here. Go to your local Linn dealer and listen to Linn products. Analog vs quality digital.

My DAC is Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Series 2 in my music listening room. Listening to same recording on Berkeley and my Linn turntable the LP and the turntable are superior. With the Berkeley its getting closer but analog still rules. I have a heard a United Home Audio UHA-HQ in a friend's system and with a high quality tape its damn good and better than my Linn and his CH Precision CD player. Only issue is high quality tapes are rare and the blues and good jazz and rock hard to find.
post #267 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
I read an interesting article entitled 'Why Vinyls Boom is over" in the Wall Street Journal (22 July 2017):

they reported a large number of new re releases in LP vinyl that are supposed to be all analog were actually mastered from a CD....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-vin...ver-1500721202

(may require paid subscription to access)
Gooddoc and eljr like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b

Last edited by markrubin; 07-26-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #268 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Thumbs up

Quote:
I read an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal a few days ago:

they reported a large number of new re releases in LP vinyl that are supposed to be all analog were actually mastered from a CD....
A few weeks ago I was at a used record sale where there were over 700 LP's. Picked up original pressings of Santana's debut album along w/other selections from the late 60's and early 70's. The newer version could not compare to the original pressing. By the way if you want some modern analog LP's check out Shelby Lynne. A few years ago she gutted her studio because the digital recordings did not sound right. She records all her albums w/a classic Studer 2" tape machine.
markrubin likes this.
post #269 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3106 Post(s)
Liked: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Is this to say you find no general correlation between speaker prices and performance?

That may be overstating your otherwise agreeable case.

For example, the Fluance speakers, being discussed by the reviewer I posted the link to, keep qualifying the review in terms of "for what they are" "for the price."

The review was from Audioholics, know as an objectivist on line magazine.
Sure, there is a loosely general correlation to SQ, but it's so loosely correlated that it's not a good idea to make a purchase decision on it.

On the other hand, measurements have a direct correlation to SQ.
eljr and justthinking like this.
post #270 of 515 Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
One needs to put the high-end audio thing into perspective since for a few bucks you can go to a live concert were you will have ''the real deal'' ''in real time'' audio experience.
dave2002ti likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page