Playing 24/176 : PC to AVR to Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2017, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Playing 24/176 : PC to AVR to Speakers

I am planning to buy some high res downloads (24/176) from hdtracks.com. I will also be buying JRiver Media Center which can handle this format. I have Denon AVR3310CI which is probably considered "ice age" now.
My question is if I feed my AVR 24/176 from JRMC, will my AVR handle that. If not should I get a new AVR or buy a DAC that can hande 24/176. I use bass management on my AVR. So If I use a DAC, then my AVR would do more processing which I want to avoid. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-12-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 953
According to the manual networked audio is limited to 32bit 48khz. I'd imagine connecting via the optical or coaxial digital would work, as those formats support up to 192khz in stereo, but I can't find documentation for what that Denon receiver supports on those ports.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #3 of 5 Old 08-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Go for a DAC.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source

post #4 of 5 Old 08-13-2017, 03:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I have a 3311ci, a year newer and I think it only supports up to 96 kHz when played direct from USB device. I pulled up the manual and noticed it is wrong in one regard. The network table showing a max of 48 kHz, is used also for the 'USB in' table. This is an error. I can put an album from HD tracks on usb into the usb port and it will play files up to 96 kHz. It's a bit of a pain to navigate a usb drive with the 3311ci one line display, but it can be done. I avoid this by navigating flac files in my Oppo. As suggested by others, your best bet may be to buy an dac and just use analog in connections with your AVR. I'm just not sure what the denon does to that analog signal. if you are applying base management and audyssey it is going to digitize it and apply base management and audyssey, then it will run it through it's internal dacs. Does it retain he full 192 or 176 sample frequency in that case, I'm not sure. It does have a 192 kHz dac (it will accept 192 khz signals via hdmi), I'm just not sure about it's processing and treatment of an analog signal when using base management and audyssey.

On HD tracks website you usually have the option of buying a lower sampling frequency version. Typically 192 or 96. If they are selling 176, they are probably also selling an 88 version as well. I always opt for the lower frequency version, if available from HD tracks. The 96 or 88 kHz versions still sound fantastic and will save you about 7 bucks an album.

Last edited by glangford; 08-13-2017 at 03:26 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-13-2017, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for all the feedbak. Yes they do sell a lower version. I will try that first and if that doesnt work, try a DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page