Pure Direct sounding worse than straight stereo in HTPC setup? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By DanPackMan
  • 1 Post By DanPackMan

post #1 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pure Direct sounding worse than straight stereo in HTPC setup?

Hey,

I've been searching for answers on in the internet (including from these forums) of why my Pure Direct on Yamaha RX-A2030 sounds a bit worse (not much though) than straight stereo. Straight stereo has higher highs and wider bass on the lower end on my setup. I wonder why though, because I'm not using any EQ or enhancements on the receiver (set to "through") and am keeping the setting on straight 2-channel stereo. Only things that have been "set" are the distances of the speakers to the listener on the couch. Shouldn't the Pure Direct almost always sound best as it doesn't color the signal?

My setup is following: from my PC's GPU a HDMI cable goes all the way to the AVR on the other room, and from AVR the cables go to my two Amphion Argon 3L tower speakers on each side of my Sony TV. I'm using Sony TV as a secondary monitor to my PC from which I play almost all my music from Spotify Premium app from PC. To my knowledge, the pure direct setting bypasses all the DSP in the receiver using only the receiver's DAC? So is it the DAC to blame on on the RX-A2030? I had Yamaha RX-v767 before RX-A2030 and although the sound is much better now with a more powerful receiver, the pure direct mode on RX-v767 had the same problem, sounding worse on Pure Direct than "straight stereo". At least, I don't think the speakers are to blame because they're quite high-end 8ohm speakers with frequency response of 30 - 30k Hz, costing nearly 3000 € a new pair.

So if I'm using the Pure Direct on my setup, is the setting using the DAC on my GPU, or the one in the receiver? And in this case altogether, why does the "straight, 2-channel/stereo" settings are giving me fuller sound than pure direct, even though I'm not even using EQ or any other processed music mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotiryssä View Post
the pure direct setting bypasses all the DSP in the receiver using only the receiver's DAC?
I think what your are hearing is the sound without DSP, which to you sounds 'worse' but actually may be a more accurate representation of the actual music stream. DSP can help make compressed streams sound 'better'. Th 2 channel stereo mode may have some DSP in the loop. I think Pure Direct is often a feature for analog input where you don't want any DSP.
CoffeeHawk and bmcn like this.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 08-13-2017 at 05:12 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a similar set up. Feeding Denon 3310 from the PC (optical output). The 2ch stereo mode on the AVR sounds a lot better than the direct mode. Not sure what exactly the DSP is doing for 2ch stereo, but I like that sound better than the direct mode.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
+1 For Stereo mode.

I've noticed this same thing with my Onkyo TX-NR656. Stereo mode seems to have a little richer, fuller sound than the Direct mode.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
I think what your are hearing is the sound without DSP, which to you sounds 'worse' but actually may be a more accurate representation of the actual music stream. DSP can help make compressed streams sound 'better'. Th 2 channel stereo mode may have some DSP in the loop. I think Pure Direct is often a feature for analog input where you don't want any DSP.

So in this case, the logical solution would be to listen to uncompressed FLAC formats, right? While I haven't listened actually any FLACs yet with my newly bought RX-a2030, I did listen to them with my previous RX-v767 tyring to compare them with Spotify Premium 320 kbps, and the result was same. Pure Direct sounded somewhat muddy and metallic even with the FLAC files. I imagine it would still be the same even with my new receiver.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I may have thrown you off mentioning compression. DSP will condition/process signals no matter if they are FLAC or compressed. I think the Pure Direct feature is typically for an analog (RCA) input where you want the original signal as is, not so useful for a digital (HDMI or Optical).input.
leecreek likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
I may have thrown you off mentioning compression. DSP will condition/process signals no matter if they are FLAC or compressed. I think the Pure Direct feature is typically for an analog (RCA) input where you want the original signal as is, not so useful for a digital (HDMI or Optical).input.
Ah, I see. Thank you. This brings up another question though. Would I get better sound quality from Pure Direct if I got external DAC between the receiver and PC?
post #8 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Ah, I see. Thank you. This brings up another question though. Would I get better sound quality from Pure Direct if I got external DAC between the receiver and PC?
Without any intention of starting another AVR / Stereo amp debate, and if and only if you have the means and space, I would recommend going from whichever external DAC you get to a standalone stereo amp.

Doing this allows you to form a personal opinion on which sounds better to you... sorry can't say any more than this without asking for trouble...
post #9 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Would I get better sound quality from Pure Direct if I got external DAC between the receiver and PC?
Possibly, although it's no guarantee. It really depends on the analog output stages of the external DAC and what sounds better to your ears.

post #10 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Possibly, although it's no guarantee. It really depends on the analog output stages of the external DAC and what sounds better to your ears.
I agree with this advice, you won't know if it will sound better or worse to you until you try it. I think maybe you should ask yourself why you are so intent on using the Pure Direct mode to begin with. Don't assume its better just because it is 'pure direct'. Find the mode on your very nice AVR that sounds best and enjoy., or you may be forever chasing that elusive 'little bit better'.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
So if I'm using the Pure Direct on my setup, is the setting using the DAC on my GPU, or the one in the receiver? And in this case altogether, why does the "straight, 2-channel/stereo" settings are giving me fuller sound than pure direct, even though I'm not even using EQ or any other processed music mode?
I don't know about your particular receiver but my guess is that using pure direct bypasses the DAC in your receiver and you are hearing your GPU's DAC. No doubt your receiver has a much better DAC than does your GPU.

My A/V Processor's pure direct mode bypasses all digital circuitry, meaning the processor's internal DAC. I use pure direct so I can benefit from my higher quality external DAC.

Last edited by Spleen; 08-14-2017 at 07:40 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I would say yes since you can hear the differences between your Yamaha receiver's DAC and your PC's DAC. Also, see my post above.

Last edited by Spleen; 08-14-2017 at 07:44 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-16-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
I would say yes since you can hear the differences between your Yamaha receiver's DAC and your PC's DAC. Also, see my post above.
He is using an HDMI connection, not an analog connection and therefore not the PC's DAC.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
If you used YPAO on your AVR to optimize your speakers' room response, Pure Direct mode also turns that off along with all other signal processing. So your speaker response would be back to what it was before running YPAO and no longer corrected to match your room's acoustic characteristics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page