First proper audio setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb First proper audio setup

Hello everyone! First time poster, long time lurker.

I've been around audio all my life, Used to work for audio-visual companies in Australia like Novatech, Osmans etc, studied Audio engineering at SAE and used to set up the equipment at the local pubs.

Until recently I've never been able to afford my own good system (I was a bit of a gypsy, travelling place to place, living in hostels, caravan parks etc. But I've moved into a steady job as a metallurgical R&D laser operator, basically I use a giant laser as a welder, to weld/clad/glaze superhard materials to surfaces that get a lot of wear.

But that's enough about my history, I'm here today, after doing a lot of research, to get some opinions from a lot of people who have vastly more experience with consumer and home audio than I.

My budget is around $3,000 Australian, for a good 2.1 system for my computer room.
I'll mainly be using it for music/gaming first off, then when i buy more pieces bit by bit, i'll transfer it all to the family room for a good 5.1 setup (use these bookshelf speakers as rears and get some bigger floor-standings).

i've built my own monitors out of some JL audio car speakers that don't sound half bad, I got the enclosures made from Edward at Ascension Speakers, but i'd only value them at about the $400-500 per pair price point, sound quality wise. I also made a sub out of an old JL 12", O-Audio 500w amp and a garage sale ported enclosure, but again, would only value at about $400 sound quality wise (needs some tuning, heavy air movement sounds from the ports when turned up high)

After listening to a few speaker, sub and amp combos over the last week, this is the list I've put together of what I'm after

Dyn Audio Emit M10 monitors - $1k
SVS SB (or) PB 2000 sub - &900-1100
Cambridge Audio A-150 powered amp - $1k

I did have a listen to an Emotiva DAC/AMP combo that sounded a little bit more defined, but it's just bout of my price range.

I haven't listened to the SVS subs as none of my local dealers have them, I have listened to the REL T5/T7 and the Sunfire HRS-10, however every review i'm seeing has said the SVS's perform equal or better than competition at the same price point (also would rather a 12" for the better low end reproduction in movies)

Please let me know what you think of these options, and if you've got any suggestions that you think I might prefer, or that you have experience with. My rough budget is $1k for each component.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

EDIT: Sorry, the amp I'm looking at is the Cambridge Audio CXA60
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 795
You'll get a million suggestions, but I have a general comment/suggestion.
I would look to buy a "computer" setup without the objective of transferring to a "home theater" setup. First of all, you can probably spend much less than your budget on a decent 2.1 computer setup (just checkout your local big box computer store--like Fry's here)...which is much different that what would make a good movie (or music) setup with an AVR, etc. (see sig).
Congrats on the (new) job and good luck!

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED

post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
You'll get a million suggestions, but I have a general comment/suggestion.
I would look to buy a "computer" setup without the objective of transferring to a "home theater" setup. First of all, you can probably spend much less than your budget on a decent 2.1 computer setup (just checkout your local big box computer store--like Fry's here)...which is much different that what would make a good movie (or music) setup with an AVR, etc. (see sig).
Congrats on the (new) job and good luck!
Thanks stanton i've listened to a bunch of dedicated PC speaker systems, Bose, Audioengine, Logitech etc. I've currently got the z5500 5.1 setup too. Unfortunately none of them have that room filling sound or low end bass that I'm after. My comp/study room is ~360sq ft, 6x4m so it's not on the small side, and my living room is pretty much the entire top floor of the house, which is one giant room, 12x6m. That's my reasoning for going for some pretty punchy components in the beginning, and then migrating what I can to the living room later on. I plan to spend some decent money on a good AVR, floorstandings and center speaker when i migrate it all too.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Not sure what you need the amp for at this point, as the monitors and subwoofer are powered. In any case, I would look at receivers over an amp, as they generally offer much more value for money. If Emotiva has BasX subwoofers in Australia, you might want to give them a look as they have been quite well reviewed over here, and are relatively inexpensive.

Denon AVR-X4300H
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP-280f LR, RP-260f SR, RP-450c, RF-82 II SB, RC-10 height
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203 TiVo Roamio, adequate Samsung UHD LED TV
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Not sure what you need the amp for at this point, as the monitors and subwoofer are powered.
The Dyn Audio Emit M10's are passive, not active. (I had to double check that lol)
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJugglerz View Post
The Dyn Audio Emit M10's are passive, not active. (I had to double check that lol)
Ugh. Weird. Google put up different ones that were powered, and I didn't notice they weren't the speakers I googled. The proper speakers were like the 3rd or 4th entry.

Denon AVR-X4300H
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP-280f LR, RP-260f SR, RP-450c, RF-82 II SB, RC-10 height
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203 TiVo Roamio, adequate Samsung UHD LED TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
2.1 speaker setup , advice , first time , noob

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page