Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hook Up Stereo to Receiver?

I wasn't sure where to put this question so please excuse me if it is ill-placed. My dad gave me my grandma's old Sylvania stereo. I thought it was separate components and wanted to use the turntable and cassette deck with my Pioneer 1121 receiver. It turns out it is all connected and the only output is speaker wires. Is there any way to hook up the speaker wires to my receiver and output the sound to the speakers connected to the receiver?

I wouldn't be asking this question except I bought a new turntable and accidentally hooked it up to the pre-out front speakers and received sound. I realized the error and corrected it by connecting the turntable to the CD input. Would it hurt anything to connect the stereo speaker wires to the pre-out on my receiver via an RCA adapter?

Visiting since 2002!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post
...Would it hurt anything to connect the stereo speaker wires to the pre-out on my receiver via an RCA adapter?
You could overload the inputs, and possibly blow them. However, there is a good chance you can connect directly:
- Can you post a picture of the back of the Sylvania? Even ones with a cassette deck sometimes had Tape Out jacks which you could use.
- Harrison Labs makes some level-matching RCA doodads which you could use the reduce the level
- Connecting speakers into receiver, carefully measure the output at the speakers, should be maybe 0.5 volts with like a test tone cassette at 0 dB...depending on a lot of variables! One adjusted, remove the volume knob from the Sylvania to avoid disaster. If you want to try this we can help in more detail.

Mmmm...watch out that you don't mis-ground something and end up with damage or electrocution...almost certainly you want the ground of the Sylvania speaker outs to connect to the ground on the RCA ins...IF both devices are grounded the same...
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this question so please excuse me if it is ill-placed. My dad gave me my grandma's old Sylvania stereo. I thought it was separate components and wanted to use the turntable and cassette deck with my Pioneer 1121 receiver. It turns out it is all connected and the only output is speaker wires. Is there any way to hook up the speaker wires to my receiver and output the sound to the speakers connected to the receiver?

I wouldn't be asking this question except I bought a new turntable and accidentally hooked it up to the pre-out front speakers and received sound. I realized the error and corrected it by connecting the turntable to the CD input. Would it hurt anything to connect the stereo speaker wires to the pre-out on my receiver via an RCA adapter?

As a general rule, do not hook up wires just because they all transport audio signal. The various types of signal levels (and impedances) should not be mixed. I am simplifying things, but basically you have phono, line and speaker level/type of signal that you're dealing with. Speaker output should only go to speakers. Line output can go to another line level input in a preamp or receiver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I agree with both of you. I don't want to risk it. I double checked the back of the stereo to confirm there is no other output aside from speakers. There is only a CD & Phono input.

I've already picked up a turntable which was half of the functionality I wanted anyway. I'll keep an eye out for a cassette deck and run that to the receiver.

Visiting since 2002!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page