2ch Wifi Receiver and speakers > $500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-05-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
2ch Wifi Receiver and speakers > $500

I am looking for a small bedroom system - mostly for playing sleep music or ambiance (like rain with light thunder). This may be asking for a lot.. but I am seeing a lot of these microsystems out there. It seems to be a big complaint about the sound quality. I purchased a soundbar (bluetooth enabled Klipsch RSB-11) and frankly, it sucks for this purpose. I can see how it would be an upgrade to TV speakers, and would deliver clear dialog, but honestly playing rain/thunder on it exposes how bad it really is. So I think a small stereo setup with the added modern input features would work better.

Since it's going to be a bedroom setup. I'd like:
  • Wifi for internet radio access
  • USB
  • SDcard
  • bluetooth
  • Casting

I've looked at the Onkyo CS-N575 which is right about that price, but I am wondering if putting together my own system and trying to get some better speakers wouldn't be a better idea.

$500 +- $50 would be the budget. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

BTW...

Could I do this with a Network Audio Player and some powered studio monitors?

I have a set of Fostex PM1.5 powered monitors in my closet.. haven't used them in over 10 years but they are good sounding monitors. They have XLR's but I can use adapters, and they also have TRS inputs.

Looking on ebay I see a lot of "network audio players" listed.. is that what I am actually looking for?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-05-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 437
If you find an older model AVR that has preamp out jacks you can use those powered speakers. Sounds like the way to go if you don't mind using an AVR - which I do regularly to use my external amps. Many of those network audio players may not have that feature. Buy carefully! And avoid brands like Pyle. Pure junk for the most part. I would stick with Marantz Onkyo Yamaha & Denon.

I had Philharmonic Audio Affordable Monitors with an Onkyo TX-8050 driving them for a time. The 8050 is out of production and has been replaced by two models - the 8140 & the 8160. Onkyo added wireless internet to these models. Sound quality was very good with that combination - bass from the monitors is surprisingly good - down to the low-mid 40s (hz) range. Both have built in DACS and should decode FLAC just like the 8050 does. If you aren't a bass-head you'll have plenty of usable bass - no sub needed IMO. I gave the monitors to my younger sister after finding a pair of very good Infinity IL40 towers for the bedroom. I have the 8050 for sale in the classified section. I'm using a Yamaha RX-V773 to drive the Infinity speakers now.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - VTA ST-120 (6550 output tubes) - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
Vinyl Room: Emotiva PT-100 - Acurus A100 amp - Acoustic Research AR-2ax - Marantz TT42 - Oppo 103
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields

Last edited by Knucklehead90; 09-05-2017 at 02:27 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-05-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corrieri View Post
2ch Wifi Receiver and speakers > $500
Curious... are looking for something > or < $500?

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 7 Old 09-06-2017, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Curious... are looking for something > or < $500?
I should have used the approximately (~) $500. My budget is approximately $500. I might be able to come up with a little more if what I am getting meets my needs so much better.

But generally I think $500 should do it.

Interestingly I am looking at the Denon DN-300ZB right now. It supports all the audio formats and has XLR outputs, so I could just use my existing monitors.

But also I am considering that new Onkyo CS-N575, with the large display that shows album art and the easy to use jog wheel. My concern is sound quality.

I get really shy of stuff that says 10% THD. I expect more like 0.01%.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-06-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, these are the powered monitors I could employ. They've been sitting for a few years in my closet doing nothing.

Fostex MP 0.5 near field powered monitors
post #7 of 7 Old 09-06-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I figure this is kind of a new thing.

I purchased the Pioneer X-HM76.

I will let everybody know how it works out. I was torn about getting the XC-HM86C which is higher power, but higher THD as well.. and in a master bedroom for nighttime music I don't really think I need 100W per channel. 20W per channel at 0.01% THD should be fine, especially for ambient sounds while sleeping.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page