28Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 09-09-2017, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Finally signed on for Tidal

Today I signed on Tidal for the $20 per month HiFi version.

The first thing I noticed listening to some commonly available stuff that I have in vinyl / CD / download is that sound quality is all over the place. Some is CD quality, but not much from what I've experienced so far, let alone vinyl quality. Secondly, very little of what I listen to is available on their 'HiFi' version and I can't see to find a way to get the regular version where I presume it is in their catalog. If you subscribe to the HiFi version do you not also get the regular version?

Little from the ECM catalog is on HiFi. Am I mistaken?
Peternz1 likes this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 09-09-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What little in the way of ECMs I've found sound nice.
post #3 of 52 Old 09-09-2017, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is very nice

https://listen.tidal.com/album/53226201

Jonas Howden Sjøvaag / Ancient Land, New Territory

Last edited by Scotth3886; 09-09-2017 at 04:26 PM.

post #4 of 52 Old 09-09-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 532
I've had Tidal Hi-Fi a few times over last 6 months. I find the audio quality top notch in the Masters series. It exceeds CD quality; I found enough to keep me happy for a while but not yet for Long term contract

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parsound P5 Preamp & A21 amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #5 of 52 Old 09-09-2017, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 141
After using Tidal I could never go back to Apple or Spotify. They would have to offer a similar service for me to at least give them a look. I love the service!

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Sony PHA-3 Headphone DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone W50 in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #6 of 52 Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I've had Tidal Hi-Fi a few times over last 6 months. I find the audio quality top notch in the Masters series. It exceeds CD quality; I found enough to keep me happy for a while but not yet for Long term contract

I'm using the Master series. It can be good, but mixed from what I've listened to so far. The biggest issue is that there's very little of what I like on Tidal.
post #7 of 52 Old 09-09-2017, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
After using Tidal I could never go back to Apple or Spotify. They would have to offer a similar service for me to at least give them a look. I love the service!

This is really my first experience with streaming. My only reference is LP, CD and some downloads
post #8 of 52 Old 09-10-2017, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 101
To listen to the hifi music it'll have to be done via your PC the app itself does not support lossless audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony 65" A1E | Samsung 55" UH8500
Marantz SR6011 AVR l Martin Logan motion 40's, motion 30, and motion 15 rears
SVS PB 16 Ultra x2
Oppo UDP-203 | Samsung UBD-K8500
post #9 of 52 Old 09-10-2017, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips63 View Post
To listen to the hifi music it'll have to be done via your PC the app itself does not support lossless audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. I saw that and I'm using my laptop.
yanks1 likes this.
post #10 of 52 Old 09-10-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 3651
I use the Bluesound app with my Node 2 and it supports CD, HD, and MQA.

Eastern Shore Audio Collective-E.S.A.C. Member, www.esac.club
post #11 of 52 Old 09-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
I prefer Tidal Maters series to any other service: they are adding lots more MQA material all the time

and MQA has more new partners

http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/news/post/mqa-at-ifa
yanks1 and Scotth3886 like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #12 of 52 Old 09-10-2017, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I prefer Tidal Maters series to any other service: they are adding lots more MQA material all the time

and MQA has more new partners

http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/news/post/mqa-at-ifa

Overall, I really like it. Sure easier than digging through 20,000 LPs to find something. From what I understand, ECM doesn't let anyone stream their material, which is really too bad. I really really hope that changes.

Masterpieces by Ellington is on right now! Before that, Basie Live at the Sands and Mingus Ah Um 50th

And sure, on the ESLs, LPs still rule as far as sound quality, but on the system I listen to the most, up here with the Elac B6s, it sounds perfectly fine and I'm really really enjoying this.

Mark, thanks for talking me into this about eight or nine months ago. It just takes this old fella a while to get around to things.
post #13 of 52 Old 09-10-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
I just recently joined Tidal as well.

For the longest time I've only used iTunes to rip and stream my (ALAC or AIFF) ripped CDs and internet radio to my 2 channel system (via my Benchmark DAC). Tidal seemed like a way to stem my buying CDs (gawd I hate CDs...that is the physical objects....).

First I started on Tidal and downloaded the apps to my computer and iphone. I was very puzzled by the fact that Tidal seemed to be missing the most obvious function in the world: a remote control app!!!! I mean the whole reason for Tidal is the increased sound quality, so one would think many of us would stream it to a good system and need to control it as easily as possible, from a phone or tablet. But...no! You have to operate the desktop Tidal app from your desktop computer (or laptop).

The first thing I tried was to use the Tidal iPhone app and stream from that to my 2 channel system (on the hi-fi setting). I immediately heard a fairly "digital" - hard, cold - sound signature from music that I just don't normally experience from digital. I thought "what? THIS is the quality of Tidal that people rave about?" I took some tracks I had on CD and compared them to their Tidal counterparts and indeed the Tidal stream sounded different, lacking the warmth and organic quality of the signal from my ripped CDs.

So then I tested streaming directly from the desktop Tidal app - my computer to my apple airport to my DAC - exactly how I stream iTunes. Well..hey now...that's more like it!
I did a shoot out between the Tidal and my ripped CD versions and they seemed identical. So the sound quality solution wasn't to stream from my phone app, but from my computer app. (I don't know why the phone app results in worse quality sound).

But then I was stuck with the stupid remote control problem! No way to control the computer app from my listening position. (I still can't believe how stupid this is! Apple has had a remote app for itunes forever).

This was one of the reasons I moved my music from iTunes to a raspberry Pi/logitech server system. It's controllable with the iPeng IOS remote and it can integrate and control Tidal.

NOW I've finally been able to enjoy easy access to Tidal on my 2 channel system and I love it. There have been many CDs I may have been interested in buying that I can access on Tidal. And it's been great exploring music via Tidal.

Now I just have to upgrade to a DAC that can play hi-res files.
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #14 of 52 Old 09-11-2017, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I've had Tidal for about a year now, I use it almost every day. I use a Dragonfly Red to listen to MQA, (I didn't realize at first that not all DAC's cant decode MQA) and I find the sq to be very good on most albums. I set up a laptop and just bought a wireless keyboard/mouse so I could control the desktop app from my listening chair.

post #15 of 52 Old 09-11-2017, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
I've had Tidal for about a year now, I use it almost every day. I use a Dragonfly Red to listen to MQA, (I didn't realize at first that not all DAC's cant decode MQA) and I find the sq to be very good on most albums. I set up a laptop and just bought a wireless keyboard/mouse so I could control the desktop app from my listening chair.

I can see the same will happen here. It's on right now. Do the cable providers (in this case Time Warner) get upset at the data usage and throttle the connection speed?

I'd forgotten about the Dragonfly. I guess I'll also need one of those. I hard wire via USB from my laptop on the system downstairs. Upstairs, for the system that's on all day, I use a bluetooth adapter to the RCAs for an input to the Yamaha AS 301. It frankly sounds fine for background music.

Well, I guess I can't use the Dragonfly on the Yamaha as I don't have a USB input. I have optical and coaxial only plus many spare RCA inputs

Last edited by Scotth3886; 09-11-2017 at 07:31 AM.
post #16 of 52 Old 09-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 2
If i connect my chromecast audio via spdif to a yamaha as301 i will find an improve on the sound comparing to my yamaha 479 connected the same way using tidal??
post #17 of 52 Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Am I the only one who sees it as a bizarre oversight by Tidal not to have a remote control app for iphone/ipad? Which decade are they living in?

To get the full quality from Tidal you have to use the desktop app to your music system. But then that means if you want to control it, you have to put in on a laptop and use the whole damned laptop as a remote, when an iphone/ipad app would be so much more convenient. Or you have to use workarounds like g_bartman did buying a wireless mouse and keyboard just so you can control the thing from your seat.

Every music streaming system I know of has a remote control app for incredibly obvious reasons. Why not Tidal????

How are folks here controlling Tidal? As I said earlier, I'm using the iPeng iphone/ipad app which controls the logitech platform, integrating Tidal.
post #18 of 52 Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
http://tidal.com/us/contact

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/a...roubleshooting

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #19 of 52 Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I'm using the Master series. It can be good, but mixed from what I've listened to so far. The biggest issue is that there's very little of what I like on Tidal.
Go to Audiogon forum the digital section. There's a tread titled Full MQA list. There are actually over 3500 MQA titles.
bmcn likes this.
post #20 of 52 Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 821
I've used Tidal since pretty much day one. Amazing to have such a vast music library at my fingertips. I always find some obscure artist I never heard of and really enjoy their stuff. They have also gotten much better with the mainstream stuff. Masters is nice but a little annoying a new DAC is required to get the full MQA experience.
arftech and yanks1 like this.

LG OLED65E6 | ARC DSi200 | Dynaudio Special Forty | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift GTX 1080 HTPC | audioquest CV-8 - Carbon - Columbia | BDI Mirage 8227 | Synology DS916+ | roon
post #21 of 52 Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Am I the only one who sees it as a bizarre oversight by Tidal not to have a remote control app for iphone/ipad? Which decade are they living in?

To get the full quality from Tidal you have to use the desktop app to your music system. But then that means if you want to control it, you have to put in on a laptop and use the whole damned laptop as a remote, when an iphone/ipad app would be so much more convenient. Or you have to use workarounds like g_bartman did buying a wireless mouse and keyboard just so you can control the thing from your seat.

Every music streaming system I know of has a remote control app for incredibly obvious reasons. Why not Tidal????

How are folks here controlling Tidal? As I said earlier, I'm using the iPeng iphone/ipad app which controls the logitech platform, integrating Tidal.
I'm controlling Tidal on my main system via Mac>DAC>Processor using Audirvana Plus 3.1 and the Audirvana Remate App via my iPad Pro. Just a lovely sound!

For my bedroom system I'm using Roon>Lenovo Laptop>Portable headphone/Amp/DAC>Headphones. Again, a lovely sound!

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Sony PHA-3 Headphone DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone W50 in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #22 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I just reactivated my account as well to hear some of the Master titles. Currently have my laptop connected to my Oppo 105D so I'm getting the initial MQA unfold which sounds excellent to my ears. Wouldn't mind trying out a Meridian Explorer 2 or Audioquest Dragonfly (black or Red) to hear all of MQA in its full glory.
yanks1 likes this.

Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Samsung 65JS8500 (calibrated by Gregg Loewen); Marantz SR6010 + Onkyo M-5010; Oppo UDP-203; Apple TV (4th Gen); PS4; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST, CS-8060HD, SR-8040BP, ProMonitor 800; SVS PC12-NSD (2)
post #23 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Thumbs up

One way to find more hidden MQA albums go to the MQA playlist and type in the name of the artist that has a song on the various themed playlists. Hit albums on the list and you'll find MQA titles not listed on the Masters album list. Went into a Jazz playlist found Ike Quebec clicked him on and he has a MQA album Sentimental & Blue. Sounds pretty close to my album.
post #24 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
One way to find more hidden MQA albums go to the MQA playlist and type in the name of the artist that has a song on the various themed playlists. Hit albums on the list and you'll find MQA titles not listed on the Masters album list. Went into a Jazz playlist found Ike Quebec clicked him on and he has a MQA album Sentimental & Blue. Sounds pretty close to my album.

I'm still not sure quite how to tell if a cut/album is MQA. All I see is a 'HiFi' that's illuminated toward the bottom of the page. Is that it? Those do sound moar better.

Also nice to see that they have the Living Stereo catalog on there. Although, from the 50s and early 60s, those are generally the best performances of a given piece ever, with one of the top orchestras of the era with arguably one of the world's top conductors: talking about Chicago Symphony and Fritz Reiner. And they sound particularly good on Tidal. Given what RCA's Jack Pfeiffer had to work with back in those days, I'm not sure he's ever been beaten. In my book, still the best ever.

True, I have many copies of all of the RCA, Merc, Blueback, Decca, etc., catalog on vinyl, and true, the vinyl may still sound better, but nothing beats cueing up a play list of these at low volume (so I can still answer the phone if need be) and let it go all day.

Are there any issues of cable providers choking connection speeds for the hugely increased use I will have now? I use what was Time Warner and is now Spectrum..
post #25 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
Are there any issues of cable providers choking connection speeds for the hugely increased use I will have now? I use what was Time Warner and is now Spectrum..
I don't think streaming Tidal will cause any huge increase in data use: it's not like streaming a 4K HDR movie...relax and enjoy the music
yanks1 and Scotth3886 like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #26 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I don't think streaming Tidal will cause any huge increase in data use: it's not like streaming a 4K HDR movie...relax and enjoy the music

Am I ever !!!!!

Playing right now is RCA / Chicago / Fritz Reiner / Jascha Heifetz / Brahms Violin Concerto in D Major, Op 77. From 1955 , re-released in stereo in 1957

Delicious. Just amazing for a 62 year old recording.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 09-12-2017 at 07:28 AM.
post #27 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 193
so I am not getting redbook cd quality using Tidal through my Oppo 103?

I love the content and music quality but I hate the user interface. Tidal will find them self in big trouble when one of the other services supports lossless I think
yanks1 likes this.
post #28 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I've yet to find an artist NOT on Tidal. Even my buddy's band who self published a few albums years ago is on there.

I'm unsure at which sound quality I'm listening too, but I'll have to check on those MQA songs soon.
markrubin and Class A like this.

I need music every day. If I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to stand up comedians, or watching comedies. Music and laughter keep me going.

I don't do dramas, and try to avoid drama in my life as well.
post #29 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
I've yet to find an artist NOT on Tidal. Even my buddy's band who self published a few albums years ago is on there.

I'm unsure at which sound quality I'm listening too, but I'll have to check on those MQA songs soon.

Sadly there's an entire label, ECM, that they won't let anyone stream. That's my only complaint so far. I hope ECM's Manfred Eicher rethinks his position on the issue.
Muphasta likes this.
post #30 of 52 Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Sadly there's an entire label, ECM, that they won't let anyone stream. That's my only complaint so far. I hope ECM's Manfred Eicher rethinks his position on the issue.
Must be a genre of music I don't listen too, which wouldn't be hard! I hope for your sake, and others who enjoy their products, that they do allow streaming soon.
Scotth3886 likes this.

I need music every day. If I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to stand up comedians, or watching comedies. Music and laughter keep me going.

I don't do dramas, and try to avoid drama in my life as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page