• 1 Post By CruelInventions
  • 1 Post By Scotth3886

post #1 of 13 Old 10-11-2017, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Integrated Amp vs Receiver

HI, trying to set up 2ch stereo for music and as minimalist as possible. Just speakers, integrated amp and PC for streaming music. I'm looking at used market and noticed that I can get a decent receiver much cheaper than integrated amps for same ratings and even same brands. I know usually for a receiver if you use all channels the rated watts/ch will be lower than what it says. But for 2ch it should be close to what it shows in the specs. So my question is, does integrated amp sounds better than a receiver assuming they have the same watts/ch and same brand and about the same msrp? For my plan set up will I hear the difference? Using USB or HDMI connection depending what is available in the integrated amp or receiver. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 789
You'll find dozens of existing threads on this topic. I would recommend that you start with some of those before starting up again from scratch for this well-worn topic. Just understand up front that there won't be universal agreement, but these previous (sometimes contentious) conversations may help clarify your mind for some decision-making.

Start here for some previous threads with the same or similar questions:

https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...F1%2F2015&tbm=
balky likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman

Last edited by CruelInventions; 10-11-2017 at 07:49 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
You'll find dozens of existing threads on this topic. I would recommend that you start with some of those before starting up again from scratch for this well-worn topic. Just understand up front that there won't be universal agreement, but these previous (sometimes contentious) conversations may help clarify your mind for some decision-making.

thanks

post #4 of 13 Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:

I'm glad to see someone else uses Google 'advanced search'
post #5 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I'm glad to see someone else uses Google 'advanced search'
It's a godsend. Or buddhasend or universesend, i.e., insert your preferred higher power.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Kinda looks like an intentional aim to stir something up...
post #7 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's a godsend. Or buddhasend or universesend, i.e., insert your preferred higher power.

Tell ya what, I'll take Buddha.
18Hurts likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 58
In my experience, if you want to use USB you may have better luck finding that with an integrated amp. Cambridge Audio and NAD both make nice IA with USB inputs for use with computer based audio.

Most home theater receivers have HDMI, very few 2-channel receivers do. Even if you are only using 2 channels you can still get a home theater receiver, and you can find them cheaper than many integrated amps and 2-channel receivers.

If you have demanding speakers, make sure whatever you get has enough power to bring those speakers to life.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #9 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Hegel also has USB with a great DAC.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
HI, trying to set up 2ch stereo for music and as minimalist as possible. Just speakers, integrated amp and PC for streaming music. ...
Why not bypass the whole bewildering debate and look for an active speaker system instead of piecing together a conventional passive speakers plus amp setup?

If you want a minimalist system, active speakers with wireless &/or digital inputs and on-board DSP and DAC's are the go. They also offer demonstrable performance advantages over an equivalent passive speaker and amp setup. The speaker engineer has already done the work and optimised the amps for each individual driver. Precision filtering/response shaping is typically implemented via DSP prior to the DAC's (naturally) and amps.

I don't know what your total budget "comfort zone" is, but here are a few examples from different market segments:

KEF LS50W.

Dynaudio XEO 4.

Dynaudio Focus 200 XD

Salk PowerPlay

JBL 705P *

Eve Audio SC203

Blue Sky International Sat 6D *

Adam Audio S2V *

[* XLR (AES/EBU) digital input.]
If you want to add a sub later on, bass management can be handled via a media software solution such as JRiver MediaCenter.

Caution: not all "powered" speakers are truly "active"; that is, actively amplified with the filters prior to the amps. Check by ensuring the number of amp channels = number of drivers.

Good luck!

Last edited by GIEGAR; 10-13-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Typos
post #11 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Why not bypass the whole bewildering debate and look for an active speaker system instead of piecing together a conventional passive speakers plus amp setup?

If you want a minimalist system, active speakers with wireless &/or digital inputs and on-board DSP and DAC's are the go. They also offer demonstrable performance advantages over an equivalent passive speaker and amp setup. The speaker engineer has already done the work and optimised the amps for each individual driver. Precision filtering/response shaping is typically implemented via DSP prior to the DAC's (naturally) and amps.

I don't know what your total budget "comfort zone" is, but here are a few examples from different market segments:

KEF LS50W.

Dynaudio XEO 4.

Dynaudio Focus 200 XD

Salk PowerPlay

JBL 705P *

Eve Audio SC203

Blue Sky International Sat 6D *

Adam Audio S2V *

[* XLR (AES/EBU) digital input.]
If you want to add a sub later on, bass management can be handled via a media software solution such as JRiver MediaCenter.

Caution: not all "powered" speakers are truly "active"; that is, actively amplified with the filters prior to the amps. Check by ensuring the number of amp channels = number of drivers.

Good luck!
Thanks. I already have extra pair of speakers and this is the reason why Im thinking of setting up a 2ch for music only. I was looking for used Peachtree to drive my speakers and came across a used Marantz receiver for much cheaper price and thats what made me start thinking of pros and cons between integrated amp vs receiver. Thank u all for all the help and links.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
The Hegel also has USB with a great DAC.
Ill look into this. My max budget is only $500. that's why I'm looking in the used market. thanks.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
In my experience, if you want to use USB you may have better luck finding that with an integrated amp. Cambridge Audio and NAD both make nice IA with USB inputs for use with computer based audio.

Most home theater receivers have HDMI, very few 2-channel receivers do. Even if you are only using 2 channels you can still get a home theater receiver, and you can find them cheaper than many integrated amps and 2-channel receivers.

If you have demanding speakers, make sure whatever you get has enough power to bring those speakers to life.
I'm looking at the used market for these brands. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page