How do I add a 2 channel amp to existing 5.1 setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own seperates, have a 5.1 setup, and am wanting to add a dedicated 2 channel amp (possibly tube) for music purposes only, while using the same main front speakers for 5.1 and 2 channel listening.

My plan is to run my Slimdevices Transporter (which has a pre-amp/balanced and unbalanced outs) directly into the soon to be purchased amp.

Since the two fronts speaker cables will have to be connected to the two channel amp, I'm confused on how (without switching cables around) to go back to 5.1.

Thanks,

Mark

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Why can't you just use the 2 channel amp for 5.1 and 2 channel listening? I'm confused.

The center and rear amps will still work if you switch to 5.1

Afro GT
post #3 of 4 Old 01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Why not run the Slimdevices line out to one of the inputs on your pre/pro and the L/R outputs from the pre/pro to the new 2 ch amp? When you want to listen to the Slimdevices just select that input. Leave all pre/pro settings as is but you will probably need to re-set channel levels to adjust for gain on the new amp.

"The truth is out there!"
post #4 of 4 Old 01-10-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To run the Transporter into a receiver would likely eliminate most of the point of the Transporter over the Squeezebox.

The standard configuration to merge a multichannel AV setup and a higher end 2-ch stereo setup is to have a 2-ch stereo preamp which can accept the front left/right preouts from the multichannel AV pre/pro or receiver, thus the stereo music path is not through lower grade multichannel gear but the same amp/speakers are shared between 2-ch and multichannel playback.

The Transporter has no analog inputs, so there's nothing to run the AV systems preouts for front left/right into. You can't go that way without adding a preamp to the music path, one preferrably with a HT bypass aka unity gain aka whatever they call it input.

Otherwise, just get a Squeezebox and run it into one of the digital ins on the receiver and just use the preouts to a better grade amp to the front speakers. But a receiver preamp stage is not much to usually write home about.

If going unbalanced, I guess some kind of A/B switch might be the better option.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page