Onkyo A-9555 Integrated Amp-Excellent High-End Sound Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 255 Old 01-26-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Onkyo A-9555 Integrated Amp. Onkyo is marketing this as a high-end sound. I have to say I am very impressed with the sound quality. It is far better than the Panasonic SA-XR series digital receivers. With the Onkyo A-9555 it gives high-end sound, large wide sound stage, lots of power. Has the resolution, authority, detail, and smoothness of the best anolog amps costing for more.

It's a two channel only. It's rated at 100 watts per channel @ 8ohms, and 200 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. It can fill a very large room with plenty of superb sound. The reviews and user opinions have been excellent and positive on this amp. Anyone thinking about an excellent quality 2-channel music setup should really consider the Onkyo A-9555. It's very smooth with no harshness or ear fatigue, yet very detailed and dynamic. I'm still amazed by it's sound quality, it's as good as my much more expensive equipment!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 255 Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like they've been selling out of the Onkyo A-9555, several places are SOLD OUT and out of stock. With that many being sold, you would think there would be more user reviews on the Onkyo A-9555 but looks like most people are not taking the time to share their review on the Onkyo A-9555
post #3 of 255 Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM

They are wonderful sounding bought about 4 months ago. Great classic looks and fairly powerful. They were powering my vintage Advents. Decent on phono. Recommended!

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
post #4 of 255 Old 02-08-2007, 07:46 AM

I agree...Amazing amp! I love mine too! http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...4234&read&3&4&
post #5 of 255 Old 02-15-2007, 04:50 PM

How does this Onkyo compares to other PWM amps?
post #6 of 255 Old 02-15-2007, 05:46 PM

Kinda looks like Teac A-1D... wonder is they sound similar as well.
post #7 of 255 Old 02-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocvk View Post

I have the Onkyo A-9555 Integrated Amp. ....... I'm still amazed by it's sound quality, it's as good as my much more expensive equipment!!!!

audiocvk, what source equipment are you using? and what speakers are you driving with the a9555? cheers, ed
post #8 of 255 Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoleg View Post

Kinda looks like Teac A-1D... wonder is they sound similar as well.

I believe the A-1D is not a digital amp. From what I remember reading in Audio Circle a couple of years ago, it is MosFet based. It used to be sold at various big box net retailers such as Amazon, J&R, etc. I think the A-1D is not discontinued.
post #9 of 255 Old 02-19-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some internal pics of the Onkyo A-9555. Inside Views.
LL
LL
post #10 of 255 Old 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

edbayarea, I've tried a number of different speakers and source equipment with the Onkyo A-9555 and I haven't found anything it doesn't sound good with yet. At this moment, I have it setup with the Rotel RCD-1072 CD-Player and a pair of B&W N802 speakers. I've still been in the comparing and testing mode with the Onkyo A-9555. So far so good, seems every one that listens to it thinks it sounds wonderful here.
post #11 of 255 Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 PM

audiocvk, great, thanks! I looked up the n802s, at 91dB -8ohms they seem like a good match for the 9555. I am keeping the 9555 on my list for a friends system. -ed
post #12 of 255 Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM

well, count me in as a believer too. i doubled my pleasure by getting both the amp and the matching dx-7555 cd player and i am enjoying them thru my quad 11L's. i had the new marantz pm7100 from crutchfield before the onk, but sent it back. too warm sounding, almost emulating the sound of a tube amp in the mid/high frequencies. i'm sure some people will like this sound, but not me on the quad's. the onkyo has a clearer, more neutral sound with tighter bass than the marantz did on the quad's. i can't recommend these components enough.

got'em both in silver at shoponkyo.com. unfortunately i did not get a discount price except for $10 dollars off for joining there as a member. however i did get "points" from buying thru them that i can use towards a future onkyo purchase at that site. i think i have 74 points(or dollars).......... woohoo!

regards,
Paul
post #13 of 255 Old 03-07-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats on your new amp! Let us know how you are enjoying it after it breaks in some more. Read your nice review on the Marantz over at audioreview.com but didn't see you do one on the Onkyo A-9555 there, as you get more used to the A-9555 we would love to read your review on it over at audioreview.com when you find the time. As much as the Onkyo A-9555 keeps selling out, there is only 1 review at:

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/onkyo...5_2717CRX.ASPX

Seems like more people would review it with how many have been sold!
post #14 of 255 Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 PM

There is another review at amazon.com, the user has it in VPI turntable system.
post #15 of 255 Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Anybody using this with Zune, iPod, or other MP3 player as input? I'm thinking of driving some Dali Ikon On-wall's in my living area (music only, HT is downstairs), plus maybe a couple of outdoor speakers for the backyard.
post #16 of 255 Old 07-08-2007, 01:32 AM

There was a shootout at Stereomojo testing this amp along with others. Google for link good information. This amp placed second of the ones tested. You will be surprised what amp one the final shootout.
post #17 of 255 Old 07-10-2007, 01:43 PM

How does this compare to normal receivers in terms of sound quality? lets say a pioneer elite 82txs?
post #18 of 255 Old 07-13-2007, 08:44 PM

anyone? or maybe compared to other integrated amps such as cambridge/nad of the near price.
post #19 of 255 Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 PM

Does anyone think the larger A-9755 can be internally re-wired to change the voltage setting from AC 220-230 V, 50/60 Hz to AC 120 V, 60 Hz? It sure would be nice to have the reserves of the two power supplies on hand.
post #20 of 255 Old 07-30-2007, 11:26 PM

Can anyone elucidate the benefits of digital amplification vs. analog? I have to say, the A-9555 is at the top of my list right now.
post #21 of 255 Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 AM

Liked: 14
I have never heard any Onkyo audio product that I was not impressed with, with the exception of speakers. Their stuff is generally quite good, especially for the price.
post #22 of 255 Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinMe View Post

Can anyone elucidate the benefits of digital amplification vs. analog? I have to say, the A-9555 is at the top of my list right now.

Digital amplifiers are much more efficient than traditional analog amplifiers. They are much lighter, generate much less heat, and because of the technology, they are generally smaller than their comparable analog counterparts. The sound quality is improved because all processing and amplification is done in the digital domain. This eliminates the digital to analog conversion necessary prior to processing and amplification when an input device, such as a DVD/CD player, is connected digitally to an analog amplifier. With a digital amplifier and a digitally connected device, the only digital to analog conversion necessary occurs directly at the speaker output terminals. This results in much cleaner output than can be achieved with comparably priced analog amplifiers.

Beware of amplifiers that are advertised as digital amplifiers that lack a digital input. This ONKYO amplifier is one such device. It has no digital input, only analog, and therefore it is NOT a true digital amplifier. It is simply a Class "D" amplifier.

With a "digital" amplifier that has no digital input, the signal from a DVD/CD player, for example, that is connected via an analog connection has already gone through processing and a digital to analog conversion in the DVD/CD player in order for it to output an analog signal. Then, at the "digital" amplifier, this analog signal must go through an analog to digital conversion before the amplifier's "digital" amps can amplify it. And finally there is the final digital to analog conversion before the signal can be output to the speakers.

Even with a conventional analog amplifier, the signal from a DVD/CD player that is connected via an analog connection only goes through processing and the single digital to analog conversion that is necessary at the DVD/CD player.

Buyer beware. Do your homework. All of this info is out there on the web. Many manufacturers sell amplifiers that they advertise as "digital" yet they only have analog inputs. These manufacturers are, basically, if you want to get right down to it, misleading consumers. Unless a "digital" amplifier has digital input(s), it's not truly digital and is simply a Class "D" amplifier. This is not to say that these products are not decent amplifiers, but unless the input signal is digital and remains digital throughout the processing and amplification stage, the amplifier is not truly a digital amplifier.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #23 of 255 Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Digital amplifiers are much more efficient than traditional analog amplifiers. They are much lighter, generate much less heat, and because of the technology, they are generally smaller than their comparable analog counterparts. The sound quality is improved because all processing and amplification is done in the digital domain. This eliminates the digital to analog conversion necessary prior to processing and amplification when an input device, such as a DVD/CD player, is connected digitally to an analog amplifier. With a digital amplifier and a digitally connected device, the only digital to analog conversion necessary occurs directly at the speaker output terminals. This results in much cleaner output than can be achieved with comparably priced analog amplifiers.

Beware of amplifiers that are advertised as digital amplifiers that lack a digital input. This ONKYO amplifier is one such device. It has no digital input, only analog, and therefore it is NOT a true digital amplifier. It is simply a Class "D" amplifier.

With a "digital" amplifier that has no digital input, the signal from a DVD/CD player, for example, that is connected via an analog connection has already gone through processing and a digital to analog conversion in the DVD/CD player in order for it to output an analog signal. Then, at the "digital" amplifier, this analog signal must go through an analog to digital conversion before the amplifier's "digital" amps can amplify it. And finally there is the final digital to analog conversion before the signal can be output to the speakers.

Even with a conventional analog amplifier, the signal from a DVD/CD player that is connected via an analog connection only goes through processing and the single digital to analog conversion that is necessary at the DVD/CD player.

Buyer beware. Do your homework. All of this info is out there on the web. Many manufacturers sell amplifiers that they advertise as "digital" yet they only have analog inputs. These manufacturers are, basically, if you want to get right down to it, misleading consumers. Unless a "digital" amplifier has digital input(s), it's not truly digital and is simply a Class "D" amplifier. This is not to say that these products are not decent amplifiers, but unless the input signal is digital and remains digital throughout the processing and amplification stage, the amplifier is not truly a digital amplifier.

Good to know-- thanks.
post #24 of 255 Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I noticed that and wondered about it. Given that the amplifier will convert the signal to digital anyhow, the lack of a digital input seems very strange. I would call it a design flaw, which is disappointing from Onkyo.
post #25 of 255 Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

Given that the amplifier will convert the signal to digital anyhow, the lack of a digital input seems very strange.

Yeah, it's weird. Many manufacturers, even some that are considered pretty high-end, are sellling Class "D" amps that have no digital input and calling them "digital amplifiers". I don't understand it, either. It seems that it would be simple enough to add a digital input or two since any digital input would not require a D/A conversion, as analog input does on these amps, and should just go straight into the amps as a digital signal.

The Class "D" amps without digi inputs are not bad products at all and most of the benefits I listed above ARE there. They just lack digi inputs, so the benefit of keeping the signal completely digital until the final D/A conversion (which, btw, since it's a speaker-level analog signal that's needed, is actually part of the amp's technology, and doesn't require a DAC at that point) can't be realized. What's REALLY interesting is that it actually costs less to manufacture a Class "D" amp than to manufacture a comparable quality analog amp.

Someone should fire off an email to ONKYO, see what they say. (Maybe I'll do it. I'm curious; there has to be a reason.)

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #26 of 255 Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Strange. I went to the ONKYO site today and the A-9755 isn't even listed as an available product.

post #27 of 255 Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Strange. I went to the ONKYO site today and the A-9755 isn't even listed as an available product.

It is the A-9555.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...=Amplifier&p=i

BTW, I pondered this, and for my system, I would be using the A-9555 as a 2nd/3rd Zone amp that is fed by my Denon 3805. The 3805 is not capable of sending a digital signal to these zones, so whatever amp I use, it has to accept analog. So for me, what matters is the sound quality. If the amp has to convert the analog input to digital before amplification, and I'm not clear to what the benefit of the digital amplification would be in this case.... Nonetheless, most of the reviews I've read say very good things about the A-9555 so they must be doing something right...
post #28 of 255 Old 08-02-2007, 08:09 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I think the A9755 is only in UK...

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/indices/index_com_en_53538.html

I see the atoms free and fine,

That bubble like a sparkling wine;
I see the songs Electrons sing,
Jumping from ring to outer ring;
              - Lister, The Physicist
post #29 of 255 Old 08-02-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwong View Post

I think the A9755 is only in UK...

Hmmmm. I thought I saw it both of them on the US site a couple of days ago. Maybe I was on the wrong site.

post #30 of 255 Old 08-02-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinMe View Post

BTW, I pondered this, and for my system, I would be using the A-9555 as a 2nd/3rd Zone amp that is fed by my Denon 3805. The 3805 is not capable of sending a digital signal to these zones, so whatever amp I use, it has to accept analog. So for me, what matters is the sound quality. If the amp has to convert the analog input to digital before amplification, and I'm not clear to what the benefit of the digital amplification would be in this case.... Nonetheless, most of the reviews I've read say very good things about the A-9555 so they must be doing something right...

Yeah, basically, since you aren't going to be sending it a digital signal anyway, that it doesn't have a digital input is irrelevant. I wouldn't get too hung up on the A/D conversion that's necessary; you don't really have a choice.

What perturbs me about these "digital" amps that lack a digital input is not so much that there is the A/D conversion with an analog connected device, but that a consumer who does have a device equipped with a digital output is unable to use it to their advantage, is given no choice at all, and is forced to use an analog connection.

BTW, I submitted a customer query to ONKYO regarding the lack of a digital input and am awaiting their response.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page