2 channel integrated with component outs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello-

Odd question I know, but is there a 2 channel integrated amp that has component outs? What I want is to set up a simple 2 channel set up with a smallish TV and Xbox 360 in my basement. It will be going to my Hitachi 32HDL51 LCD. It has 2 HDMI so my upconverting DVD player goes to one HDMI, the other is taken up by the HDTV box, sound goes to my current reveiver (AVR125) and this works fine.

now for the but

But, my Xbox 360 w. component outs has no home except the TV...and the kids don't like no having the sound come from the big tower speakers. Now I know I can get a new receiver with HDMI and Comp outs and the world is a happy place. I was looking at a Marantz sr5001, but since it is mostly used for music and there is no real need for 7.1 surround is there a better option out there? I basically want better 2 channel without giving up the nice switching that a receiver offers, but with better sound quality from a dedicated amp.

Just bite it and get a rec. and use the pre outs and then get a dedicated 2 channel...or is there something in one nice package?

Thanks

Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-10-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
AFAIK, there are no 2 channel integrated amps with any video. Get an AVR and use the parts you want.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 8 Old 03-10-2007, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

So an AVR with pre outs and a 2 channel amp is the only answer?

Thanks

Ty
post #4 of 8 Old 03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If the main issue is that the XBOX sound does come from the big speakers, one cable can solve that -- connect an audio out on the XBOX to the receiver. It is pretty common to connect the video of a source component to the TV and connect the audio to a receiver.

-Max
post #5 of 8 Old 03-11-2007, 09:28 AM

an integrated amp is only for audio. that's it.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-11-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't get it. If the two HDMI connected sources are going straight to the TV, what's the problem running the component connected source to the TV? You'd run all the audio direct to the receiver, and all the video direct to the TV.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The closest thing I know to a 2 channel integrated with a component out is the NAD L53 but it won't meet your requirements. It is 2 channel and it does have video ins but it only has S-video and composite video inputs. It does have a component video out but that only works with the in-build DVD player. It does not convert composite or S-video to component.

What you need is an AV receiver with component video inputs and outputs. HDMI inputs might simplify your switching for you but you can get by using the HDMI inputs on the TV as you currently are.

I don't know of any AV receivers with only 2 channels apart from the NAD. You will probably need to consider a 5.1 channel receiver or greater and simply not use several channels.

I did that last year and bought a 7.1 channel receiver to use with a 2 channel system, largely for the HDMI switching and the room equalisation functions. The downside to it is that I'm no longer running a 2 or 2.1 channel system. The 2 front speakers did something in the night and I now have a 5.1 family. I don't know how it happened but if you buy a multi-channel receiver you may need to keep an eye on your speakers as well or they may have a family also :-)

David Aiken
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2007, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac770 View Post

I don't get it. If the two HDMI connected sources are going straight to the TV, what's the problem running the component connected source to the TV? You'd run all the audio direct to the receiver, and all the video direct to the TV.

This is the only complaint I have against this TV....there are only 2 HD inputs really...input 1 and input 2. Both can be used with HDMI or with Comp....but not at the same time. It is not that big of a deal, but it can be a PITA some times. Although now that I think on it a component switching receiver would not really fix the problem either as it would still have a component set running to the TV and still using the same input as the Xbox 360.

Sigh...looks like a HDMI rec. with a dedicated 2 channel hooked to the receiver thru the pre outs. It is no big deal as that is what I thought I was going to have to do, but was hoping.

Thanks

Ty
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page