SACD+good 2 channel for under $1500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a multi channel SACD player that does well with normal CD's, under 1500.00

Considering the NAD T585 but that's a DVD universal and I want great sound.

Suggetsions?

Also, do the HDMI Universal players offer multi channel over both HDMI and Analog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Used McCormack UDP-1. It is a universal player, and its sonics are outstanding across the board.

- Steve O.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks, that is a great suggestion, the addition of DVD audio is a huge plus

can you get those used for under 1500.00? They were pretty pricey when they came out no?
post #4 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

dlfromcanada,

Realistically, you'd have to wait for a while. I got mine from audiogon that way winter holiday season.

What do you currently use for multichannel SACD?

- Steve O.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
post #6 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 297
A Onkyo SP-1000 is tough to beat for around $900 used. Just because it's a universal doesn't mean it wont sound good. If you want a treat spend a little more, about $2250 - 2500 (used) for a Esoteric DV50. Many multichannel players are universals and 2 ch reproduction is favored over mulitchannel.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I dont know any MULTICHANNEL sacd players that are not also dvd universals--there are some 2 ch models--cayin makes a tube model for something like 1700, and there are others (mostly for more money like the ayre cx7e, the object of my dreams) ...I have seen the krell sacd and cary sacd for around 2k used, the denon 5910 can be had for in that range used (which I have and would highly endorse, also stereophile class a). the mcormack-non-deluxe model (deluxe has new conrad-johnson upgraded parts inside)) is available here as a demo
http://www.musicdirect.com/products/demos.asp

it is mostly a pioneer player in a different box but it got a stereophile class a rating. it seems to me that there are the dvd-universal models (like the denon and onkyo and mcormack models) and the more expensive 2 ch models. I think the sound quality of the universals is pretty good--if you really just want audio you could pick up a brand spankin new denon dvd 3910 for about 700 because it is being replaced by the 3930ci. There is also he music hall maverick sacd (also 2 ch) can be had here for less than 1k
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=1MHMAVER

good luck!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have an Oppo, ps3, el cheapo Panasonic DVD audio, el Cheapo Pioneer Universal, an entire suite of componenets for the multichannel audiophile

That Denon looks pretty sweet, discrete power supplies, DVD Audio over HDMI, Bass Management over analog and HDMI....

I do question that reviewer's credibility just a little, obviously not having heard the player I can't speak to it's abililities but the way he raves about the video.....I mean there's no way it can be significantly better than an Oppo or Toshiba HD DVD on standard discs
post #9 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Denophile,

Have you looked inside a McCormack UDP-1 and sister Pioneer unit? Steve McCormack started with a Pioneer because of the codecs and player software. There are quite a few improvements to his version, and even more in the Deluxe upgrade.

Power supply design is crucial to good audio and video. Throw any non "price is no object" piece of equipment onto a cleaner power source (DC battery power or balanced A/C power) and the improvements are noticeable, IMHO.

That's a big reason why the upper-end Denons sound so good, too. If you've seen APL Hi-Fi's mods to the universal Denons, they take a similar approach as the Pioneer->McCormack kind of improvements.

- Steve O.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch123 View Post

Denophile,

Have you looked inside a McCormack UDP-1 and sister Pioneer unit? Steve McCormack started with a Pioneer because of the codecs and player software. There are quite a few improvements to his version, and even more in the Deluxe upgrade.

Power supply design is crucial to good audio and video. Throw any non "price is no object" piece of equipment onto a cleaner power source (DC battery power or balanced A/C power) and the improvements are noticeable, IMHO.

That's a big reason why the upper-end Denons sound so good, too. If you've seen APL Hi-Fi's mods to the universal Denons, they take a similar approach as the Pioneer->McCormack kind of improvements.

- Steve O.

I actually don't actually think there is anything wrong with the pioneer universals--i thought the dv 59 was a great unit (i actually owned a dv45a that I also thought sounded pretty good) with superb sound--didn;t mean for it to sound pejorative--completely agred power supplies make all the difference--you won't get any argument from me there! I was just passing on that a good deal of the innards were based on a pioner design--I am sure there are notable diffeences and I would LOVE to have one of the new deluxe models with the cj parts! If only it were a balanced design...
post #11 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

I dont know any MULTICHANNEL sacd players that are not also dvd universals--there are some 2 ch models--

All the Sonys, of course, will not play DVD-A.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page