Recommend a Stereo Preamp w/ digital optical. No video processing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Current setup is a PS3 and Oppo player. Decided to go 2.1 setup so optical is all I need for PCM. (correct?). I plan on connecting both video connects from the PS3 and OPPO directly to the TV so I can have no video interference in the preamp. Can someone recommend me a stereo preamp around $1000 dollars that has optical? I've been searching around but everyone here is interested in preamp/processors that include video/audio in one.

One more question, if I digitally connect the PS3 to the stereo preamp, does the preamp do the DAC processing? Because I read that when you connect analog to a receiver the processing is done in the source. Whereas, if connected digitally, the processing is done in the receiver/preamp.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-26-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Music Hall Mambo: http://www.musichallaudio.com/mmf_pr...&prolook=mambo.
Of course, this is PCM only and will not do DD or DTS.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 13 Old 04-26-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Beautiful amp but it only has 50 watts/channel. Can anyone just list a couple? I'll do all the research. hehe
post #4 of 13 Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 AM

You're asking for something that is very rare, being a stereo preamp that's actually equipped with its own DAC. You can get these as separate components, although it might stretch that $1,000 budget.

The Mambo that Kal mentioned isn't just any 50Wpc integrated amp. But this will really come down to how efficient your speakers actually are.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantGSR View Post

Beautiful amp but it only has 50 watts/channel. Can anyone just list a couple? I'll do all the research. hehe

It is a quite potent amp. What speakers are you driving that make you think this inadequate? Remember, with 2.1 and a powered sub, the amp is only driving the main speakers above the low bass.

BTW, no other suggestions as I know of none that suit.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #6 of 13 Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You are just as well off to get a surround receiver that will easily do what you want and give more power as well (and probably cheaper). Just us it in 2 ch (or 2.1) mode and forget about all the features you have but don't need. As an added plus if you ever decide to go multichannel you already have all you need in the receiver.

"The truth is out there!"
post #7 of 13 Old 04-27-2007, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It is a quite potent amp. What speakers are you driving that make you think this inadequate? Remember, with 2.1 and a powered sub, the amp is only driving the main speakers above the low bass.

BTW, no other suggestions as I know of none that suit.

It'll be driving a DIY Seas L18 and Seas Tweeter. Should need around 100 a channel.

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

I guess I'm asking a bit much. I'll just look into some surround processors as it will be less trouble.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Don't forget that 50 watts on a stereo receiver isn't a fictional number the way it is on those 130 watt multi-channel receivers.
50 watts will drive most moderately efficient speakers to over 100dB. That's pretty darn loud in my book.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-27-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It'll be driving a DIY Seas L18 and Seas Tweeter. Should need around 100 a channel.

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

I guess I'm asking a bit much. I'll just look into some surround processors as it will be less trouble.

I didn't see any sensitivity figures on the linked page but, again, the amp only has to drive the speakers above the bass-management crossover and this is a very capable amp. So, I would not expect problems (unless you are a head-banger and/or have a cavernous listening room).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #10 of 13 Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I didn't see any sensitivity figures on the linked page but, again, the amp only has to drive the speakers above the bass-management crossover and this is a very capable amp. So, I would not expect problems (unless you are a head-banger and/or have a cavernous listening room).

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17-L18-TS2.gif
That was on the linked page. Does that mean the sensitivity is really only 86db or am I reading it wrong?
post #11 of 13 Old 04-27-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibbs View Post

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17-L18-TS2.gif
That was on the linked page. Does that mean the sensitivity is really only 86db or am I reading it wrong?

That's correct.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The speaker, itself, is closer to a sensitivity of 80 dB. Hence, his concern for power. 50 watts only gets him to around 96-97 dB. I too would embrace an integrated amp with a DAC and digital ins. With that said, Music Hall also has a 100 watt stereo receiver with digital inputs, the Maven.

Another option would be that one Monarchy DAC with volume control. Get that and a power amp and direct drive the amp with the DAC and volume control. Bel Canto also offers DACs with volume control for direct driving of an amplifier, but they're out of the OP's price range.

AV123 has been talking about their x-series electronics for a long time. One of their models, the Empower^2, whenever it comes out, is a class D integrated amplifier that will feature digital inputs. I don't believe a DAC will be used, since it can use the digital stream to drive the class D section. It will have around 150 watts a channel at a phenomenally low price of $300. This is the one I have my eye on and intend on trying it out. But it's been vaporware for a few years now, and the specs certainly aren't set in stone.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 AM
bry

I'm in the same situation as Defiant only driving the gallo refence 3.1 and that maven sounds interesting, good info Lindahl and everyone else thanks a lot

edit-does anyone know if the maven has a phono input, i can find anything that says what inputs it actually has or maybe i'm i'm just blind?
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page