Thoughts on a 2 channel rig - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-23-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently run a Monitor Audio multichannel system featuring MA GS10s as L/R, a MA Radius 225 as C, Radius 90s as surrounds, and a Radius 180 as SB. The Sub is a HSU VTF3MK2. The system is powered by a Marantz SR7500. I use a Denon 2910 as my SACD / DVD-A/V source and a Squeezebox as my CD source (ripped lossless as FLAC).

I like this setup alot as it is very versatile. The only change I plan on making in the near future is to upgrade my C to a MA GSLCR. I'll then move the Radius 225 to SB. Nevertheless, I am looking to create a separate system entirely dedicated to 2 channel music. I am currently thinking about the following setup:

Additional Squeezebox ---> Apogee mini DAC or Benchmark DAC1 ---> Creek Audio 5350SE ---> Monitor Audio RS6

I'd like this setup to be as simple as possible, while taking great care at the D/A conversion. I am looking for neutral, accurate sound here. Specifically, I'd like to know your thoughts on the choice of DAC as well as thoughts on matching the the integrated amp with the speakers. The MA RS6s are probably the only thing I am dead set against changing. All input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Many described the RS6 as forward sounding speakers. That of course is relative to a neutral reference system & speakers - not sure if there is such a system. Actually it is just right if I listen to good musical sources - musical tracks on Denon Hi-Fi Test CD, classical music, and jazz. I am still thinking about a two channel system but I have to wait until I have my room acoustically treated. That said, I could not understand why someone I know spent $25,000 on a 2 channel system but not a dime on room treatment.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 PM

Liked: 14
I think that setup will work nicely for the price range you have there. The DAC-1 is one of the better options with the Squeezebox, and Creek makes a fine integrated. I was looking at a DAC-1 or Musical Fidelity DAC for my Squeezebox, but the Musical Fidelity is 50% more.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-31-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I am pretty excited about putting this setup together. Does anyone have an opinion on the bass response of the RS6s in a 2 channel system? I checked the specs on the RS6s and they get down to 38Hz (+/- 3 dbs). My GS10s go down to 40 Hz and these are bookshelf speakers. When I run the GS10s in the current setup in Pure Direct (w/o sub) mode it seems definitely lacking in the bass area. I really don't want to add a subwoofer to this system, but I am concerned about a lack of oomph in bass response. I would imagine that the extra bass driver in the RS6s would improve this, but I would like to hear some firsthand impressions.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-31-2007, 02:51 PM

Liked: 14
A lot of that depends on the music you listen to. 38Hz is "enough" for some things, but a sub wouldn't hurt in the slightest. Of course if you were to connect those GS10s to a more capable amp than your receiver you will probably notice quite a bit more bass... When I went from receiver power to a 200WPC Rotel AMP on my N804s, bass suddenly came to life. The real problem was my receiver couldn't power the low end with any authority.
I would set things up, then see if you need to add a sub later.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking that part of the issue might be due to the receiver. That's part of the reason I'm looking forward to the new setup. I really want to see how much of a difference the improved amp and DAC make. If I'm still not happy I can always pickup another Hsu. The VTF3MK2 in the Mch setup more than makes up for any bass that might be lacking due to the receiver. I cross it over at 80Hz and the system sounds great (and thumps).
post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

I drive my two RS6 with a Denon 1604 and I have enough bass. It is good for listening to pipe organ music. If you listen to 75% pipe organ music, I would suggest the RS8's are going to do a better job on the lows. The in room frequency response of RS6 is 0 db at 34hz as measured by a spectrum analyzer in my room.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear it. I know that pipe organ music has some of the lowest bass around. Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Further note: I bought the RS6 floorstanders to be driven by my humble Denon 1604 receiver and never looked back. I have a sub but I do not use it for music. I had the RS6 powered by a 300w/ch power amp but I was not getting better sound. In fact I get better sound by changing the position of my speakers so that the left-right line is parallel with the longest dimension of my room.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page