2 channel mode on most receivers, does it send sound to sub still? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been contemplating buying a receiver/speakers for awhile now and have a general question. Right now I am using the receiver from a HTiB setup and when I switch the settings to 2 channel mode to listen to music it still sends a signal to the sub. Is this normal for most receivers? On most receivers is it possible to turn off the signal to the sub in 2 channel mode if this is normal? I am looking at the onkyo 605 right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 PM

I only have the 304, but in looking at my manual, if you have a sub connected and you've set the receiver to send a signal to the sub, then yes a signal goes to the sub in every sound mode. Stereo, Dolby, DTS, Onkyo Surround modes, etc. You can turn it off, though.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know if you can disable the signal to the sub ONLY for 2 channel mode and have it on for the rest of the signals without changing the setting every time?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared701 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know if you can disable the signal to the sub ONLY for 2 channel mode and have it on for the rest of the signals without changing the setting every time?

I honestly don't know. It might save speaker settings for each listening mode, but I've only had it hooked up for a couple of weeks. Still going through the learning phase on it, and it's the first receiver I've ever owned.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-26-2007, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Not familar with your equipment. However, how a sub is treated in 2 channel mode varies widely from receiver to receiver. Some have modes like "direct" or "pure direct" which will give more of a straight signal path through the receiver. This may, or may not, change how bass management is done.

It would be nice if the simple answer were, "just set your mains to 'large' to ensure that a full signal will go to them in 2 channel mode", but that doesn't stand as a blanket statement.

I understand this is a matter of very personal preference, but I can't imagine not using the sub for even 2 channel. If the crossover is properly set low enough to just kick in when your mains are reaching the end of their useful range, you should be getting a nice reinforcement of the lower register.

Then again, I listen to a lot of classical music which often has an organ in it. There's nothing like a good sub to produce room shaking fundamentals.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM

My old Onkyo TX-SR501 had a mode called "Direct" which bypassed all processing as well as the subwoofer for a pure 2 channel signal. When you want the subwoofer, you switch to regular "Stereo".
post #7 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
In my Pioneer receiver, if I set the speakers to Large, for two channel, the bass only comes through the main speakers.

Jim

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
As everyone else here has said, it's pretty much dependent upon your receiver.

My Denon AVR-3806 allows you to set the speakers to Large or Small - the Large setting sends a full range signal to the speakers. You can independently turn the subwoofer on or off on the same page.

It also has "Direct" and "Pure Direct" modes which bypass a lot of the internal circuitry. It also allows you to set whether or not you want the Audyssey EQ active or inactive in these modes. I only use Pure Direct with the Dunlavy SC-IIIs I have hooked up to the 3806 I put at my girlfriend's place - at my place I have a full 5.1 setup and use either 5 Channel Stereo when listening to 2Ch music, or of course true 5.1 on SACDs and DVD-As.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Generally speaking, if the receiver is an HT receiver then selecting 'STEREO' should leave the sub in play (as long as you've set up a sub in the receiver settings and select 'SMALL' for front L/R). If you have a DIRECT/PURE DIRECT/PURE AUDIO mode, then chances are you will bypass your sub (though that varies more widely than the regular stereo setting).
post #10 of 10 Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I have been contemplating buying a receiver/speakers for awhile now and have a general question. Right now I am using the receiver from a HTiB setup and when I switch the settings to 2 channel mode to listen to music it still sends a signal to the sub. Is this normal for most receivers? On most receivers is it possible to turn off the signal to the sub in 2 channel mode if this is normal? I am looking at the onkyo 605 right now.

Most of today receivers in the >500 range have a 'stereo' or a 'direct' button that bypasses all dsp and hence you will not get any sub output. In my arcam avr300 its called 'stereo direct'.

However, I do like the sound of this mode over any of their dsp modes AND i want sub in stero mode, so I have my sub hooked up the L+R pre-outs.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page