Suggestions for Cheap "Old School" Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-07-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a pair of old DCM Time Frame speakers from a second hand store. I like the retro look and they sounded pretty good in the middle of the junk store.

Now I've got them home and I'm trying to decide what to do with them!

I think I want to assemble a simple, compact system comprised of some sort of old receiver and a CD player. The receiver is what I'm asking about here.

I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt and I always like finding bargains. I want something that would be inexpensive with sound quality valued over anything else. So what should I be looking for?

Right now I'm thinking along the lines of NAD stuff. Anything else? Proton?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
you need

http://audiokarma.org/

I love this HD stuff!
post #3 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
you dont need an old receiver.

you need an integrated amp and if you want radio get a separate tuner.

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #4 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu8088 View Post

you dont need an old receiver.

you need an integrated amp and if you want radio get a separate tuner.

After reading into the current thread on a minimalist system, I was starting to think along those lines. The only problem I am having is that I really wanted the system to be compact, as it will be in a small bed room. Hmm...
post #5 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
from bay or gon you may pick up a nad c320bee with remote control

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #6 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I don't know if you're dead-set on vintage or not, but you can get a new, 100w/channel, stereo receiver pretty cheaply. I got an Onkyo a couple of years ago, for bedroom duty, for ~$100.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #7 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

old stero's sound better though. I have an Old black Emerson All in one stereo with 70's-80's soundesign towers. that sounds better than those Big UGLY JVC all in one thingy's ( I always thought that fullrange drivers sounded warmer than Multiway speakers anywy.)

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #8 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Not sure where you live in Missouri. This receiver looks awesome, echowars does a great job.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/346704763.html

I love this HD stuff!
post #9 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just be careful.

Before I bought the aforementioned Onkyo, I wanted an "old-school" receiver too, and bought an old ROTEL receiver for dirt cheap that turned out to be crap.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #10 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Outlaw Audio makes an interesting receiver that should be equivalent to the "old school" receivers. It has a beefy amp section (like the old school stuff) and would be on my short list if I were looking for a stereo receiver (even includes an analogue bass management w/sub pre-out so one can put a sub into a 2 channel system).
post #11 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses!

CPU8088 - The NAD looks interesting; are you familiar with the Pioneer Elite A-35R? I picked up on that from the "minimalist" current thread. Interesting; along with the Oppo Digital DV-970HD.

Miles Davis Backwards - I'm not dead set against new stuff (reference my response above). I was just thinking that I could get a really good used piece for less than I'd be paying for a new one. Maybe not. Kinda like a choice between a 5 year old Lexus and a brand new Kia for the same money. The Lexus will always be a Lexus and the Kia, well you know. So what was the deal with the Rotel? I thought those were quality pieces.

Last Place - Thanks for the tip, but Bonner Springs Kansas is several hundred miles from me. If it were local I'd have a look. I have been watchng the St. Louis Craig's List. I just picked up a Cambridge Soundworks 12" powered sub for $50 but that's another story...

Ovation - If I was looking to spend $650 that Outlaw RR2150 would be right at the top of my list! At this point, however, I am not there.

This evening I dug into my basement storage and pulled out my old Hafler DH220 power amp and plugged in a Sony ES CD player from days gone by. I've always loved that Hafler. I guess I just want something new (to me). If the DCM Time Frames were not so inefficient I would consider trying one of those Sonic Impact Super T amps. The idea of such a small, inexpensive amp really appeals to me.

I guess I may just keep checking my local Craig's List and enjoy David Hafler's DH220 in the mean time.

This Forum is a wonderful resource. Thanks again, guys(and/or gals)!
post #12 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I second Ovation's suggestion of the Outlaw RR 2150. I got one for pre-amp duties in my 2-channel music setup and it is sweet and clean. It definitely has the "retro" look as well.

mnilan
post #13 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post

So what was the deal with the Rotel? I thought those were quality pieces.

It was really old; probably from the early 70s. I think I paid $40 for it, which included shipping. It was from an estate sale and was sold "as is". It had a terrible transformer hum that carried over into the speakers. I cleaned it up as best I could, but not knowing much about working on equipments' innards, I couldn't fix it. It went into the attic and hit the garbage when I moved from that house.

Get a piece from the 80s and it will probably be more reliable as well as higher quality.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 04:08 PM

New or from eBay, look into HK's stereo receivers. Great amps and very well built.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

It was really old; probably from the early 70s. I think I paid $40 for it, which included shipping. It was from an estate sale and was sold "as is". It had a terrible transformer hum that carried over into the speakers. I cleaned it up as best I could, but not knowing much about working on equipments' innards, I couldn't fix it. It went into the attic and hit the garbage when I moved from that house.

Get a piece from the 80s and it will probably be more reliable as well as higher quality.

AAAAHHHH! the Garbage you say! Stereo equipment must stay as far away from the Garbage as Possible!

Oh the horror! The word garbage is too shocking!
Especially seince that's where my mom made my put my Pioneer amp which never really worked in the first place! I'm a Hoarder Tha's why I'm still holding on to my Emerson stereo with Broken Tape decks and Some timey CD player! (I have 4 devices connected to the single AUX Jack!

I like wire spagetti!

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #16 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

AAAAHHHH! the Garbage you say! Stereo equipment must stay as far away from the Garbage as Possible!

Oh the horror! The word garbage is too shocking!
Especially seince that's where my mom made my put my Pioneer amp which never really worked in the first place! I'm a Hoarder Tha's why I'm still holding on to my Emerson stereo with Broken Tape decks and Some timey CD player! (I have 4 devices connected to the single AUX Jack!

I like wire spagetti!

Well, it would've made a good door-stop, I suppose.

post #17 of 17 Old 06-11-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post

Thanks for all the responses!

CPU8088 - The NAD looks interesting; are you familiar with the Pioneer Elite A-35R? I picked up on that from the "minimalist" current thread. Interesting; along with the Oppo Digital DV-970HD.

Miles Davis Backwards - I'm not dead set against new stuff (reference my response above). I was just thinking that I could get a really good used piece for less than I'd be paying for a new one. Maybe not. Kinda like a choice between a 5 year old Lexus and a brand new Kia for the same money. The Lexus will always be a Lexus and the Kia, well you know. So what was the deal with the Rotel? I thought those were quality pieces.

Last Place - Thanks for the tip, but Bonner Springs Kansas is several hundred miles from me. If it were local I'd have a look. I have been watchng the St. Louis Craig's List. I just picked up a Cambridge Soundworks 12" powered sub for $50 but that's another story...

Ovation - If I was looking to spend $650 that Outlaw RR2150 would be right at the top of my list! At this point, however, I am not there.

This evening I dug into my basement storage and pulled out my old Hafler DH220 power amp and plugged in a Sony ES CD player from days gone by. I've always loved that Hafler. I guess I just want something new (to me). If the DCM Time Frames were not so inefficient I would consider trying one of those Sonic Impact Super T amps. The idea of such a small, inexpensive amp really appeals to me.

I guess I may just keep checking my local Craig's List and enjoy David Hafler's DH220 in the mean time.

This Forum is a wonderful resource. Thanks again, guys(and/or gals)!

Just picked up a Hafler XL-280 amp/Reference Line 1000 passive preamp at a local garage sale. All my speakers sound better with 145 watts/ch.

I love this HD stuff!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page