my unconventional 2 channel setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have been into music and audio equipment for over 30 years. I got my first system with my 8th grade graduation money. I have heard and owned a lot of setups over the years. I was an early ht adopter. Hifi vcr with pro logic. I just bought an onkyo tx-sr805. The main l/r pre preamped out to a mcintosh mc252. The mac is driving a pair of definitive technology bp7001sc's. I also have an svs 25-31pci. My main stereo source is a sony cd mega changer. I used the audyssey setup system. I am very happy with the stereo presentation of the system.It sounds like the vocals are coming from the c.c. I actually got up to make sure it wasn't on. The soundstage is very open and well defined. I have listened to a lot of music in the last 10 days and it just keeps getting better. "woman in chains" form tears for fears has never sounded so layered. I guess my point is you do not "need" a dedicated 2 channel system with 2 way monitors to get good stereo playback. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I have been into music and audio equipment for over 30 years. I got my first system with my 8th grade graduation money. I have heard and owned a lot of setups over the years. I was an early ht adopter. Hifi vcr with pro logic. I just bought an onkyo tx-sr805. The main l/r pre preamped out to a mcintosh mc252. The mac is driving a pair of definitive technology bp7001sc's. I also have an svs 25-31pci. My main stereo source is a sony cd mega changer. I used the audyssey setup system. I am very happy with the stereo presentation of the system.It sounds like the vocals are coming from the c.c. I actually got up to make sure it wasn't on. The soundstage is very open and well defined. I have listened to a lot of music in the last 10 days and it just keeps getting better. "woman in chains" form tears for fears has never sounded so layered. I guess my point is you do not "need" a dedicated 2 channel system with 2 way monitors to get good stereo playback. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

How is your sony CD changer connected to your Onkyo? Via an analogue out or via a digital out? If it is strictly an analogue out then your onkyo is simply acting as a Pre-Amp here. Otherwise, I would venture to say you are currently seeing the advantage of the PCM1796 BB DA that is in the 805.

I think this forum is less about "need" and more about want. I don't need a separate pre-amp with HT bypass to separate my 2 channel audio. I want the cleaner signal path this provides from my CD / DA source.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have my HT setup to dual purpose for 2 channel as well, because frankly I prefer 2 channel music, and while I want reasonable HT performance it is not my priority. At the same time, I keep a dedicated 2 channel setup. Mainly because I can use it while other members of my family are watching something on the main setup. Over time my dedicated 2 channel setup is becoming my primary setup. It will eventually perform better than my dual purpose system.
The reasoning is more location than purpose though. I am certain I could get the same or better 2 channel performance out of my HT if I put the time and money into it. You can easily use a preamp or integrated with HT bypass so that the receiver is out of the chain all together for 2 channel listening. The biggest issue I have found, and the biggest advantage to separate systems is matching the sound stage. If I purchase speakers that will make me happy for 2 channel, I now "should" purchase a matching center to keep the sound stage for HT seamless. Ideally that center should also have matching amps. While you can sometimes go cheaper for rears, you should still have some synergy there. When I set up my HT with nautilus 804s for 2 channel, I ended up buying an HTM-2 for a more seamless front sound stage and I do not feel that I have gotten the same return on investment there. If I got the 2 channel speakers I really want, I would not want to stretch the budget for the center to match it.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I am using the digital input. I have definitive all around, 7.1. The .1 is svs but the other drivers match. Some are 6.5 some are 5.25. All tweeters are the exact same. I am using the onkyo to drive the center and side, rear surrounds. It all seems to blend pretty seamlessly. I have to think audyssey has something to do with that. I too have a simple 2 channel system in my den. It is nice to have the ability to listen to music if someone else is using the big system. I guess I was trying to say that altough my system is not what you would typically see for good stereo reproductuion, especially bipolar speakers, it works awfully well.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page