Audio System for Laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! Im fairly new to this audio stuff, so I though I would ask for some recommendations. So ive got a macbook that I plan to use Itunes to play my music from. My question is what do I need to get the music from my laptop to a 2.1 system. Im thinking of building my own sealed 18inch subwoofer and buying some bookshelf speakers. Question is do I need a receiver? or can I just buy an amp to power the speakers? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM

An amp will be fine if you use the macbook's soundcard to handle the DA, just line out and convert the 1/8th mini to L & R RCA. If you are playing MP3s this is probably fine. 18" subwoofer might be a little over kill but to each their own.

If you are an audiophile then you will need to consider a lossless compression for your music files and some sort of external DA, be it a slingbox or a more expensive external DAC.

Its all really a matter of budget and how well you want the audio system to perform.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM

Please take a look at Audioholics review on Mondo Mint. It is posted in home page of this forum.

I tried to post URL, but that is not allowed for me until I post five. It is my first posting.

It offers USB connection for Mac with 2.0 bookshelf speakers. It is only $349 with AMP with two ipod docks, USB Mac connection and line-in and two bookshelf speakers.

I am using that currently for ipod and itunes with my PC. It sounds quite nice!
post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Is there an amp you guys would recommend in the $200 range? I was looking at the HK 3485 Stero Receiver which gives 120w per channel. Seems to be a great deal for $250. But if an amp will work just as well I might consider an amp instead..

Also my knowledge in audio equipment is very limited. From what I understand, if I am to purchase an amp. It would only power the speakers correct? Im not sure how the audio signal from, the soundcard gets converted to both the amp that powers my speakers and the amp that powers the subwoofer? I know when using a receiver It usually has a subwoofer out which I can use to send a signal to my subwoofer amp. So could someone explain how the system would be hooked up?

Thanks!
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 AM

http://theaudiocritic.com/blog/index...Id=20&blogId=1
Behringer A500 Reference Amplifier
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboda View Post

http://theaudiocritic.com/blog/index...Id=20&blogId=1
Behringer A500 Reference Amplifier

It seems like this is a popular "bang for the buck" amp and I would not hesitate to buy it except Im not exactly sure how I would supply a subwoofer signal using this amp. I know for the HK 3485 stereo receiver I would simply use the subwoofer out to connect to my buttkicker amp which powers my subwoofer. But for the A500 im not sure how I would set it up.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil180sr View Post

It seems like this is a popular "bang for the buck" amp and I would not hesitate to buy it except Im not exactly sure how I would supply a subwoofer signal using this amp. I know for the HK 3485 stereo receiver I would simply use the subwoofer out to connect to my buttkicker amp which powers my subwoofer. But for the A500 im not sure how I would set it up.

As far as signal to your sub, you will just need to split the left channel RCA and feed that to your sub amp.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-26-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a considerable loss in signal quality converting from 3.5mm to RCA?
post #9 of 9 Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

There shouldn't be. 3.5mm to RCA isn't really a conversion more of just a rewiring. If you look at a 3.5mm plug it's got 3 metal plates (L, R, gnd) these are just rewired to the separate RCA (L, gnd and R, gnd) cables. The only loss in quality you'll get is any charge build up in the junction capacitance between the two cables, but this is equivalent to the loss in quality you get by plugging a cable into a jack.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page