Krell KAV-400xi or Mcintosh MA6500 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At this point I'm 50/50 on these for my Bose 901 VI's.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

The MA6500 is too much money. Now it would be the MA6300 or the Krell KAV-400xi. At this point I'm leaning towards the Krell. The Mcintosh is not a true Mcintosh in my opinion without the use of autoformers. For autoformers I'd have to go with the MA6900 @ $5000, and I can't afford that (unfortunately). Based on specs and reputation the Krell is clearly more powerful in the base region, but I'd like to have that "Mcintosh sound" to go along with the Krell.

Does anyone here have experience with these two integrateds and would care to comment?

Thanks.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-15-2007, 03:35 PM

i wrote a post here earlier but i don't know where it went....

basically it said....the krell is crap...don't know much about the mcintosh...

buy a Rotel rb1090

www.highend.nu

You can download Basta! loudspeaker simulator HERE!

Newest update (new category):
Crestmeasurements
post #4 of 24 Old 08-15-2007, 03:47 PM

Liked: 14
I am not too familiar with the speakers, but my experience has been that the krell leans a bit bright, but has plenty of power and authority. I would pair it with warmer speakers. The McIntosh is a solid integrated, but with about half the power of the krell. If your speakers are already a bit forward in the treble, I would absolutely choose the McIntosh over the Krell. One other integrated to consider in this price range is the Musical Fidelity A5 integrated. It has plenty of power and is a very musical integrated. It is hard to beat for the money.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The Krell gets very hot, so I dont know if that is a concern to you. In that price range, i would also strongly consider the NAD Master Series M3 Integrated amp.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I had considered the MF A5 and I ruled it out because it has no 12 volt trigger. I run my entire system from a Panamax 5100 and I have to trigger my system from a preamp/integrated. Also, it's made in Taiwan. NAD M3, made in China.

I've also heard about the Krell being bright or forward, and the later model integrated's (after the original KAV-300i) are supposed to be better in this area.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post

I've also heard about the Krell being bright or forward, and the later model integrated's (after the original KAV-300i) are supposed to be better in this area.

we have performed some measurements on the 400xi and it isn't impressive...if i were you i'd stay away

www.highend.nu

Crestmeasurements
post #8 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

You've made a very general statement about the 400xi's performance. I have no allegiance to any brand and you'll have to make a more persuasive argument than "it isn't impressive" for me to come to any conclusions.

Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 AM

ok if i put it this way...a rotel rb 1090 has atleast 100 times less distortion and handels impedance swings much better..

of course i can't prove what i'm saying (because the measurements is deleted) but if you don't believe me buy it...i couldn't care less

www.highend.nu

Crestmeasurements
post #10 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I was hoping for something more constructive than "i can't prove what i'm saying".

Hint: next time you "couldn't care less", don't post in other people's threads.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post

I was hoping for something more constructive than "i can't prove what i'm saying".

Hint: next time you "couldn't care less", don't post in other people's threads.

How could you possibly hope for something more constructive when you know that i don't have the measurements on my hard drive any more?

if you need to have a expensive amplifier with great performance buy the Bryston 14b sst....it might be the best ever...

hint: next time you fall in love with an amplifier...buy it and don't make a fuss about it

www.highend.nu

Crestmeasurements
post #12 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Any experience with the McIntosh? It's not spec'd as powerful as the Krell but it get's great reviews and there is never any mention of it being forward and bright as there is with the Krell.
Based on the Stereophile measurements on the Krell it doesn't handle impedance swings well, as you pointed out in an earlier post.

Thanks.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 04:33 PM

You might want to consider the PS Audio control amp. The 100wpc got a good review below:

http://www.stereophile.com/integrate...6ps/index.html

It also comes in a 250wpc and 500wpc model.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM

From the reviews that I have read, the Krells have the typical Krell bass, which is aplenty. However, the measurements are not that impressive (see the Stereophile review - John Atkinson mentioned something about the amp sounding defective, and there is one by Doug Schneider as well).

Also, someone mentioned Musical Fidelity. I've read one review which said the amp was not as fast as some others (notably Simaudio) and there is also negative connotations about it being made in China. Let's just say that the one I demoed with Dynaudio S3.4 was plenty fast and lots of power. I think the MF is a very good amp for the money and well spec'ed as well.

I've also listened to the McIntosh integrated (using Thiel speakers). They sounded pretty good as well. I did not do a side by side so can't really say which was better.

I have not listened to the Krell.

I have listened to Simaudio extensively (with Opera, Canton, Reference 3A, Dynaudio and Focus Audio speakers), and can say this is the amp that leads it class. On a value basis, the price increase recently makes Sim not really as good value for money. However, if you can find a good demo unit or used, then this is the amp I would get - Simaudio i5.3.

You can also try Bladelius - a little know scandanvian company that produces some nice sounding amps. I listened to these using Focal 1027be, and the bass was quite nice compared to other amps like NAD, Accuphase, Onkyo, which made the 1027bes sound really lean. But Bladelius might be more expensive than what you want to spend.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Zero, I'll look at Simaudio.

Do I have to use a Mcintosh preamp with a Mcintosh amp? A dealer told me this and I never knew if it was true.

Thanks.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEight View Post

You can also try Bladelius - a little know scandanvian company that produces some nice sounding amps. I listened to these using Focal 1027be, and the bass was quite nice compared to other amps like NAD, Accuphase, Onkyo, which made the 1027bes sound really lean. But Bladelius might be more expensive than what you want to spend.

Bladelius is actually swedish the only amplifier i would like to have from mr.bladelis is the Beowulf....goddamn it thats pure power

i would like all the swedish statement stuff it looks really good...

Maarten makes really good looking speakers though accuton drivers can be a nightmare

www.highend.nu

Crestmeasurements
post #17 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 05:14 AM

Worldwide:

I have a MA6500 in my office driving PSB Platinum M2 monitor speakers. Don't get hung up on rated power or autoformers. The Mac sounds great!
post #18 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Is this for real? I see these threads here often comparing two expensive amps that sound nothing alike. These two amps are are not comparable if you consider them on sonic terms alone. I don't understand how someone considering spending this kind of money could have come down to a short list of these two amps. Did you listen to both of them and note the sonic characters of each?
post #19 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
For crying out load your driving a pair of Bose speakers, comparing the mac to the krell is apples to oranges !! Unless someone has those speakers and has YOUR listening room parameters all your going to get is a rather glorified subjective answer.

But what the heck I'll throw mine in too !! I think the Krell 400xi is an overpriced, fatiguing amplifier !! I agree with an earlier post , get the Master Series NAD and save some money, or if you really want to make your Bose speakers enjoyable feed them from a nice tube integrated , say Cayin for example !
post #20 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highend.nu View Post

Bladelius is actually swedish the only amplifier i would like to have from mr.bladelis is the Beowulf....goddamn it thats pure power

i would like all the swedish statement stuff it looks really good...

Maarten makes really good looking speakers though accuton drivers can be a nightmare

I always thought Scandanavia includes Sweden, Finland, Norway, and Denmark. Any other countries in there? (Iceland?)
post #21 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt View Post

Is this for real? I see these threads here often comparing two expensive amps that sound nothing alike. These two amps are are not comparable if you consider them on sonic terms alone. I don't understand how someone considering spending this kind of money could have come down to a short list of these two amps. Did you listen to both of them and note the sonic characters of each?

It's his money so why are you so hot and bothered?
post #22 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt View Post

For a moment, I thought we were on the same page.

I was thinking "is this for real" in a completely different direction.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

The Krell is out based on the measurements taken by JA in Stereophile.
post #24 of 24 Old 08-18-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEight View Post

I always thought Scandanavia includes Sweden, Finland, Norway, and Denmark. Any other countries in there? (Iceland?)

yes it does but we swedes want sweden on the map you know

www.highend.nu

Crestmeasurements
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page