Any quality modest 2.1 Receivers left in this world? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 08-28-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a quality 2.1 receiver that comes in under $500. Preferably, it will have an optical input as well.

I've searched high and low only to find the Harman Kardon HK3485, which does not have optical input.

Can the Gods of AVSforum steer me correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-28-2007, 07:11 PM

A used Music Hall Maven (or Mambo integrated amp) might could eventually be found for around $500.
post #3 of 39 Old 08-28-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 39 Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 PM

The integra looks nice but i dont think the Nad720 has the optical inputs he is looking for, does integra have any authorised online dealers?? You can also check out the Rotel rx-1052 no optical either. But none of these new fits you budget so if you can find them used maybe.
post #5 of 39 Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicomoralessxm View Post

But none of these new fits you budget so if you can find them used maybe.

2 I posted fit into his budget except the Outlaw.
post #6 of 39 Old 08-29-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeffro View Post

Preferably, it will have an optical input as well.

Why? What you are asking for is a 2-channel receiver with a DAC, but why, exactly? Do you want a filtered subwoofer output? Do you foresee your player's DAC being so crappy that you need to use a receiver's DAC? Do you want digital bass management? ................What?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #7 of 39 Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazersteven View Post

Maybe these will work.

None of those has an onboard DAC, which is what I presume he wants in asking for an optical input. I asked him above to clarify this for us.

I think the Outlaw's bass management is analog.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 39 Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Why are you fixed on a 2.1-only receiver?

Any AVR will do 2.1 if you configure the speakers as such.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #9 of 39 Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Why? What you are asking for is a 2-channel receiver with a DAC, but why, exactly? Do you want a filtered subwoofer output? Do you foresee your player's DAC being so crappy that you need to use a receiver's DAC? Do you want digital bass management? ................What?

As you state I'm looking for a superior processing solution in the receiver. The intended source input is coming from a low budget DVD player. Further, I have optic cable run through my home from a PC for serving music files.
post #10 of 39 Old 08-29-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Why are you fixed on a 2.1-only receiver?

Any AVR will do 2.1 if you configure the speakers as such.

this receiver will only be used for stereo, I have noted better performance from stand alone stereo receivers then most HT receivers that are within my price range. Further, size is a consideration for my application.

From my review of online models it appears analog input is my only option. So it will have to be.
post #11 of 39 Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
You can also try adding an external DAC (to convert the optical to analog RCA) to your receiver of choice. I do not know if HT receivers perform bass management / crossover duties in digital or analog format, but you may still hear and improvement going with an external DAC and 2-channel unit vs. multi-channel with internal DAC.
post #12 of 39 Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Well take a look at the nad 720 with the external dac, the mavern has a dac but its 800+ bucks
post #13 of 39 Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 PM

I would look at the Outlaw or the NAD.

The Outlaw has analog bass management. Very impressive...
post #14 of 39 Old 08-30-2007, 01:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How about a Panasonic SA-XR55 digital AV receiver at only $179.00?

In 2-channel mode, with a bi-wirable/bi-ampable speaker, it will use 3 of its amplifiers per speaker. If your speaker is not bi-wireable/bi-ampable, it will still use 2 of its amplifiers per speaker. When using its digital inputs, it keeps everything in the digital domain until the final conversion to analog, which is built into the technology of the digital amplifiers; there is not really a DAC.

SA-XR55 brochure

post #15 of 39 Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Or.........................

What is your maximum budget, jeffro? Would you consider an integrated amp or a pre-amp/amp combo if the price was reasonable?

post #16 of 39 Old 08-30-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there is not really a DAC.

Another way of looking at it is that the whole thing IS one big DAC as long as you are using the digital inputs. Once you go into the analog inputs then you have ADCs in the mix too.

post #17 of 39 Old 08-30-2007, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In 2-channel mode, with a bi-wirable/bi-ampable speaker, it will use 3 of its amplifiers per speaker. If your speaker is not bi-wireable/bi-ampable, it will still use 2 of its amplifiers per speaker. When using its digital inputs, it keeps everything in the digital domain until the final conversion to analog, which is built into the technology of the digital amplifiers; there is not really a DAC.

This is a very interesting solution... Thank you for posting this. I have begun researching the option, the proposition certainly seems interesting to say the least. I wonder if the higher end model (SA-XR57K) supports these features at well. Off to Google...

My budget is sub $500 to answer your question.
post #18 of 39 Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wonder if the higher end model (SA-XR57K) supports these features at well.

It is identical except that it has an HDMI input/output. Since you are not looking for that feature, there is no reason to consider the XR57 over the XR55.

post #19 of 39 Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a very interesting solution... Thank you for posting this. I have begun researching the option, the proposition certainly seems interesting to say the least. I wonder if the higher end model (SA-XR57K) supports these features at well. Off to Google...

My budget is sub $500 to answer your question.

You might as well try it, because it's about as good an option as you are going to find to meet your requirement.

If nothing else, shipping is negligible because of the light weight and the price is low enough that you don't stand to lose much if you decide to return it or sell it.

post #20 of 39 Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered it, for $180 its worth a shot. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it goes.
post #21 of 39 Old 08-31-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I went ahead and ordered it, for $180 its worth a shot. Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it goes.

Yeah, definitely get back to us. Read the manual carefully and make certain you set the receiver up properly for 2-channel use.

HERE is a link to the manual so you can get a head-start.

post #22 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I got the receiver in, but it looks like I won't trying it out for a couple weeks. My speaker parts I ordered were delayed and I have to travel for a bit. Once I get the opportunity I'll post my impressions.

Right now, the box looks nice, much smaller then my Denon.
post #23 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 PM

Congrats. Great receiver for little bucks. The Harmon Kardon 3385@JR for less than 2 bills and the Yamaha HTR-5940@Radio Shack for less than 160 is another winner for us cheapskates. The lowly Pioneer A-35 is nice, too.
post #24 of 39 Old 09-19-2007, 10:28 PM

I picked up a SA-XR57K a couple weeks ago after reading this thread. I've been using it in my main 2 channel music setup with PMC OB1s, AppleTV for music and an Oppo 980H for SACD and DVD-A. I think I'm going to keep it, I've been really impressed with how quiet the amp is, how clean it sounds and how much power it puts out for so little money.

I've also plugged it into a watt-hour meter and it draws less than half what the NAD C352 I had on loan. Of course it's not stable into 2 ohms like the NAD either. My speakers are 6 ohms and the Panasonic has no problem with them even at high volumes.

My real wish would be for Panasonic to make a 2 channel version with all the video and multichannel circuitry removed and maybe an upgraded ADC. It should also have a phono stage that adds the RIAA equalization in the digital domain. They could even have fun with it and make tube amp DSPs that emulate classic equipment like the Fisher 500 with tone controls and loudness. Give the thing an aluminum faceplate and I'm sure it'd be a hit.
post #25 of 39 Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 AM

Liked: 14
My Denon stereo receiver (something-37) does not have bass management, but it does have a mono pre-out for a sub. It sounds great (especially for only $300.)
post #26 of 39 Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

My Denon stereo receiver (something-37) does not have bass management, but it does have a mono pre-out for a sub. It sounds great (especially for only $300.)

I believe that's the DRA-37. Good stereo receiver for those on a budget.

Neil
post #27 of 39 Old 09-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McKean View Post

My real wish would be for Panasonic to make a 2 channel version with all the video and multichannel circuitry removed and maybe an upgraded ADC. It should also have a phono stage that adds the RIAA equalization in the digital domain. They could even have fun with it and make tube amp DSPs that emulate classic equipment like the Fisher 500 with tone controls and loudness. Give the thing an aluminum faceplate and I'm sure it'd be a hit.

Your wish was realized by Onkyo with its 2 channel stereo A-9555 integrated amp. Yes, digital amplification with phono input. BTW, it just received a rave review in the October 2007 issue of Stereophile magazine. Street price....about $500.00. Onkyo actually has a series of these integrated amps marketed overseas, but the A-9555 is the only one available in the US.

Pioneer is readying a similar high-end 2 channel receiver in its Elite line. It was just introduced at the recent 2007 CEDIA expo (pictured with matching 2 channel stereo CD/SACD player)

post #28 of 39 Old 09-20-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post

Your wish was realized by Onkyo with its 2 channel stereo A-9555 integrated amp. Yes, digital amplification with phono input. BTW, it just received a rave review in the October 2007 issue of Stereophile magazine. Street price....about $500.00. Onkyo actually has a series of these integrated amps marketed overseas, but the A-9555 is the only one available in the US.

Pioneer is readying a similar high-end 2 channel receiver in its Elite line. It was just introduced at the recent 2007 CEDIA expo (pictured with matching 2 channel stereo CD/SACD player)

A digital amp with no digital inputs? No thanks.
post #29 of 39 Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 PM

It doesn't matter! Not to worry! I've tested, and tested, and tested the analog RCA and Digital inputs on many of my digital amps and "THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE". I even put them on my highly revealing Klipschorn's to try and here the slightest difference, and there isn't any to be heard. They know this and analog RCA inputs are the mostly widely used and the audio purest go that route. If you just like having the digital inputs because you just prefer hooking thing up that way, that's a different situation.

Don't bother worrying about the analog inputs vs. the digital inputs, it's a waste of time. Out of 85 people listening while we tested, no one could hear a difference, no one knew which was which, and we all just use the RCA analogs now.
post #30 of 39 Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post

Does anyone know when these will be available in the US?
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page