2 channel DVD-Video music - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone on these forums know of any software or any other way encode CD-Audio (or wave) files into the DVD-Video format?? Basically like the DVD-Video side of an HDAD disc 24bit / 96Khz samp frequency.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorg355 View Post

I was wondering if anyone on these forums know of any software or any other way encode CD-Audio (or wave) files into the DVD-Video format?? Basically like the DVD-Video side of an HDAD disc 24bit / 96Khz samp frequency.

You can put the identical 16-bit, 44.1kHz .wavs from the CD onto a data DVD. But you'll never, ever be able to take a CD that's 16-bit, 44.1kHz and put the material onto a disc as 24-bit, 96kHz material. That would be impossible. Even if you did have a way to put it on a DVD @ 24-bit, 96kHz, the quality would still be that of a 16-bit, 44.1kHz CD. You can't just magically get higher quality out of a CD than what you start with.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

You can put the identical 16-bit, 44.1kHz .wavs from the CD onto a data DVD. But you'll never, ever be able to take a CD that's 16-bit, 44.1kHz and put the material onto a disc as 24-bit, 96kHz material. That would be impossible. Even if you did have a way to put it on a DVD @ 24-bit, 96kHz, the quality would still be that of a 16-bit, 44.1kHz CD. You can't just magically get higher quality out of a CD than what you start with.

Well, you can a little bit. It would have the same effect as an upsampling CD player wouldn't it??

Ignorance is BLISS !!
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorg355 View Post

Well, you can a little bit. It would have the same effect as an upsampling CD player wouldn't it??

No

What "effect" do you think that upsampling a CD has? You can't make something from nothing. The material on a CD is 16-bit, 44.1kHz no matter what you try and do to it. You can't make it better than that.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

sivadselim,

There are upsampling DACs out there. You should listen to the Anagram 24/192 SRC as implemented by Audio Aero sometime - it takes Redbook and makes it sound very, very good.

I imagine with a PC or audio workstation, you could upsample Redbook source, and re-encode it at 24/96 using pro audio software. Not sure how it would sound in the end, however...

- Steve O.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-08-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:

I don't agree with this. Every digital signal must be converted to analog signal (reconstructed). During this process there is digital filtering (to filter aliasing artifacts - noise). If you upsample 16-bit, 44.1 kHz source signal to for example 24-bit, 176,4 kHz, you don't get more resolution from source signal, but you "move" these noise artifacts to higher frequency, thus allowing better filtering.
So when reconstructing digital signal to analog, there is always noise in the process (the ideal filter doesn't exists - that's fact), so upsampling (or oversampling) will make better the conversion when speaking about noise.

For those who don't understand what I wrote here: by converting lower resolution signal to high resolution we don't get more information in signal, but we can convert it "clearly" (with less noise) to analog signal. That's all about the digital signals. Filters matters.

Hail Butterworth
post #7 of 7 Old 09-08-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:

No

What "effect" do you think that upsampling a CD has? You can't make something from nothing. The material on a CD is 16-bit, 44.1kHz no matter what you try and do to it. You can't make it better than that.

You can't make it better than that. But it must be reconstructed to analog during playback and this process creates noise. Upsampling helps the reconstruction process, in the way that final analog signal will have less noise (in hearing band).

Also quality of filtering matters during the reconstruction process. That's why some CD/SACD players sound better (or different) compared to others.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page