super cheap (~$100) bookshelves for use with PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
Recently I have gotten sick of using headphones when I listen to music/play games on my computer. I was using some of the $35 insignias but those went to my ht in the other room.
I was wondering if there were some other good options in this price range or slightly more that I should consider. Towers (as long as they fit the bill) aren't out of the question either.
I recently heard some Paradigm mini monitors at my uncle's house, and even though they are way out of my price range, still sounded awesome.

These will be driven by a pioneer stereo reciever (SX-303R) or a T-amp.
Any suggestions? or should I just stick with headphones.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Liked: 11
The cheapest pair of QUALITY speakers that I know of are the Paradign Atom Speakers which retail for 259. Rather than buy something that is of low quality, wait until you are in a position to make a quality purchase. Remember you can update one component at a time--you don't have to buy everything at once. ( The Atom Speakers were Absolute Sound's Editors' Choice Award--also the dealer may be willing to discount the purchase if you pay in cash.)
Richard
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 AM

If you really are strapped to that $100 mark for your PC then look at the Cambridge Soundworks sets. They are close to that price and made for PC use I believe. They aren't audiophile quality but they are probably the best of the bunch in that price range. I used them for ages on my PC...if you can get a couple with the bass unit they sometimes package with them...you'll have plenty of sound for games and even Itunes on a PC at around that $100 mark.

If you can save a bit more though look at the SVS or HSU sets...lots of options if you can go up a few hundred.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

get a pair of the nicest Maudio speakers you can afford.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

If they aren't computer speakers, make sure they're shielded since they'll (presumably) be close to your hard drives. I mention this because you mentioned Paradigm.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #6 of 7 Old 09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Polk just discontiued thier RTI line. Their revamping it slightly. You can snag a pair of RTI4's or 6's dirt cheap. I like the 4's. They can be had for about $70.00 a piece. Check any local authorized Polk dealer for a disco deal.

- Chip
post #7 of 7 Old 09-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterjr View Post

If you really are strapped to that $100 mark for your PC then look at the Cambridge Soundworks sets. They are close to that price and made for PC use I believe. They aren't audiophile quality but they are probably the best of the bunch in that price range. I used them for ages on my PC...if you can get a couple with the bass unit they sometimes package with them...you'll have plenty of sound for games and even Itunes on a PC at around that $100 mark.

If you can save a bit more though look at the SVS or HSU sets...lots of options if you can go up a few hundred.

I agree, take a look at the Cambridge Soundworks stuff if you have to stay that cheap. I bought a pair of CS Model 17's (a cheaper speaker than what they sell currently) for my brother a few years ago and he was really happy with them. He then got the Model 6's (about $150 new) more recently and says he likes them even more. I took a quick listen and thought they sounded terrific for the $50 price tag he got them for on Craigslist.

I highly recommend though that if you are looking for decent speakers on a budget that you look on craigslist. You can generally find high quality speakers at 1/2 to 1/3 of their original price!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page