Bang/Buck headphones? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 09-25-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new here.

Anyways... The questions begin: (After my search turned up nothing.)

I currently have a set of Sennhieser HD212Pros that I use with about everything. I've been kinda looking into an upgrade, but I have no idea where to look.

I've heard good things about Sennhieser, and have been happy with my HD212pros, but that as a long time ago, and it was more or less a shot in the dark with no research. Does Sennheiser have something new in the $50-$100 price range worth looking at? (Listening to, whatever) Or are there other brands that are considered better?

(BTW, I don't want to use an amp or batteries, so that may limit the answers.)

Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Pyro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 AM

Id check out www.head-fi.org they have some really good information. They helped me choose my headphones (Audio Technica AD700).
post #3 of 53 Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Senns replacements for the HD212 are the HD280Pros.. Between 80-100 bucks for a set. I have a pair and find them to be pretty good cans..can be a bit boomy in the Bass department. Nowhere near the quality or sound stage as my AKG K701's but these are in a different class.
post #4 of 53 Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Grado SR-60's are legendary and still the best bang for the buck headphones in the sub-$100 category.

Carl

Carl Fedders
post #5 of 53 Old 09-26-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting information. I'll have to look into this more.

Dare I ask if there is a place around Lansing, Michigan that will let me demo the headphones mentiones?

Thanks for the info thus far!
post #6 of 53 Old 09-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_climber View Post

Id check out www.head-fi.org they have some really good information. They helped me choose my headphones (Audio Technica AD700).

+1

it's the only place for headphone advice.

music is the best.
post #7 of 53 Old 09-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6s which are priced right ~$75. They're closed which is good for me (mass-transportation fan) and sensitive enough not to need an amp with either of my portable mp3 players.
post #8 of 53 Old 09-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax View Post

+1

it's the only place for headphone advice.

+1 to that statement.

Honestly, when you compare them to speakers, any headphone from a quality maker like Sennheiser, Grado, Shure, Etymotic, Audio Technica, they are all great values. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

XBox - Shizelbs

post #9 of 53 Old 09-27-2007, 02:25 PM

I've loved my Grado SR-80 headphones for 5 years now. They are durable as hell. Although some don't think they are comfortable, you can get different ear pads.

The only complaint I would have with the SR-80's is that the wires don't seem like they are secured well enough to the drivers. After a couple years of abuse, one of the contacts broke.

One of the great things about Grado's is their following in the DIY community. I found plenty of material on repairing this issue. I steamed open the glue seal and re-soldered the connection with ease.
post #10 of 53 Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Grado's are nice and sound great, but they suck to wear for long periods of time.

XBox - Shizelbs

post #11 of 53 Old 09-27-2007, 05:11 PM

Yes, I second the statement that Sennheiser, Shure, Etymotic, and Audio Technica are great brands. Although there are some exceptional headphones from those companies. I know some of the guys that design for Sennheiser and Shure. They have managed to create some amazing products for a relatively low cost, considering the amount of R&D that goes into them. There are some very good lower cost solutions. Sometimes the differences are small between the headphones beneath the $100 mark and those above.

Your best bet is to get headphones that are as flat as possible and equalize the signal through your device. Many headphones are touted as being "better" because they have "enhanced" bass response or something similar. These types are much more difficult to equalize with wide band EQ's in mobile devices. When one does so, the resultant response is convoluted. Therefore, flat is better. Who would have thought?

Take a look here for some options:

Headphones

Hopefully this info helps. :-)

--The AV Technology Guy

Contractor's A/V.com
post #12 of 53 Old 09-27-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV TechnologyGuy View Post

Therefore, flat is better. Who would have thought?

Headphones

I agree 100% that flat is great. I am an owner of a pair of Phase Technology PC10.5s, so I know a good speaker when I hear it.

If it makes any difference, I use these primarily on a riding lawn mower with an MP3 player or CD player. So, they definitely have to cover my ears and block out a good bit of ambient noise. (Never tried noise-cancelling ones, but I think all of those require bateries.)

The HD212Pros are on the warm side, but sound very good otherwise.

Thank you again for all of the great info! I have much to consider, but the search has been narrowed greatly.
post #13 of 53 Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 PM

Welcome

Let me know if you have any more questions.

--The AV Technology Guy

Contractor's A/V.com
post #14 of 53 Old 09-27-2007, 11:26 PM

I personally for the money I would not own anything but shure products. I have a set of e2's e3's and e4's. Dont ask my why but I do haha. The comfort, SQ, and Size of these headphones put them in a class of their own.
post #15 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

I've done a little bit of looking around...
I never thought I would say this, but...
The Grado's are ugly. They may be great sounding, but I will be seen in public.

The first set of headphones I saw that seemed really nice were the Sennheiser HD-555s. A bit old, but hey, my newest speaker was made in 1996.

I read a review stating that it took a lot of power to drive them, so I got looking into the sensitivity ratings and such, but my head is spinning.

I plan on using this with a cheaper Panasonic CD player or an older Creative Labs MP3 player. I have no idea what the power output of these are, and I am having difficulty understanding what I've read about sensitivity ratings on headphones.

I hate being so needy, but I need help.
Is there a particular sensitivity range I should be looking for, in order for most MP3 players and the like to power them?
post #16 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Did I hear someone say Flat Headphones. Well in that case you'd be hard pressed to beat the AKG K701's for the price...and they look sexy too Senns..although good most are far from flat, espically the pro lines. They have bass enhancement, a bit too much for me when it comes to the 280pros. Nevermind the fact that they have the Classic Senn sound...(veil) You want flat,. AKG 701's is get my vote. Now driving them is another thing..LOL
post #17 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
The 701s are ~3x more than what the OP gave for a price range.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #18 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

The 701s are ~3x more than what the OP gave for a price range.

Yep they are, but the Shure E3's and 4's. And the Senn 555's the OP looked at are above his inital posting price range too.

The problem is, once you start going for "the best" price goes up. Not only that you have problems driving the high dollar headphones.
Back on topic
To the OP The Senns and AKG Mid-fi to Hi-fi headphone will all preform better with an Amp. Sensitivty, and Impedance only tell part of the story when looking at specs. As Posted, Head-fi.org has plenty of info. But If you are looking for a Closed ear Full size (over the ear to help block out noise) set of cans that dont *NEED* an amp the Senn 280Pros (i suggested before) will work, as will the AKG 240s. Someone mentioned the Sony MDR-V6 line. I had a pair of the 600's for the better part of 10 years (broke on me), I'd put them right in line with the 280Pros that replaced them.
post #19 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 06:36 AM

These are all great choices for going unamped around 100

Audio Technica A700s - very comfortable. Great for extended wearing.
Sennheiser HD280 Pros - good sound but not that comfortable
Used Beyer Dymanics DT770s - The plush fabric on the ear pieces can get hot but killer bass.
post #20 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

The HD-555s can be had for under my budget if you shop around.
But... The fact that they will probably require an amp is a deal-breaker. I'll do some calling around in my area. I've got to hear some of these through my equipment in order to decide if they are for me.
post #21 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

You can drive pretty much any headphone with the sources you've listed. The bass might suffer, and you certainly aren't going to get the best possible performance out of them, but they are still serviceable.

Dedicated amps are all about replacing the source's amplification with a higher quality power.

You shouldn't NEED an amp with whatever headphones you end up with.

XBox - Shizelbs

post #22 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizelbs View Post

You can drive pretty much any headphone with the sources you've listed. The bass might suffer, and you certainly aren't going to get the best possible performance out of them, but they are still serviceable.

Dedicated amps are all about replacing the source's amplification with a higher quality power.

You shouldn't NEED an amp with whatever headphones you end up with.

Im gonna have to disagree here. Sure you can drive *ANY* HP without an amp. But I guess it all depends on what you call "servicable" will you be able to hear a pair of HD555's with a Creative MP3 play yes...but will you be able to hear them over the roar of a lawnmower. I Doubt it.The higher end HP's need more power (amp) to acheive the same DB level.

My 280 Pros on my Zen Vision W with the volume at 80% is WAY ( i cant stress this enough ) WAY WAY louder than my K701's at the same volume level. I NEED an amp to get the same output for the 701's. Im not saying louder is better (it's not) But given the OP's plans for use. A high dollar HP like the 555's will/can be run off a CDP or MP3 player, but I doubt they are loud enough to combat, the lawnmower.
At normal listening levels. The high $ HP's will again put out less Db's and you will be missing out on the finer things in the music, because of the drop off in bass. So it's double edge sword, you spend all the $ on the better HP's only to miss out on the very things ( the things the high $ HP's are better at) you spent the extra money for. IMO
post #23 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
I wear ear plugs and ear muffs to attenuate the sound of my lawnmower, not ear phones to blast an even louder sound in attempt to drown out the mower noise. Just a thought....

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #24 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

I wear ear plugs and ear muffs to attenuate the sound of my lawnmower, not ear phones to blast an even louder sound in attempt to drown out the mower noise. Just a thought...

Let's put it this way.
I am 22 years old with a standard young person's attention span. I get bored on the mower for hours and the music keeps me fairly entertained.
Also, the headphones I'm looking at shield a lot of the roar before I even turn on the source of music, so it's not just blasting my eardums as hard as I can.

If I lose my hearing, it will be because of going to the racetrack, not my music.
post #25 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I recommend these headphones in order of preferences.

Sony MDR-V6/7506 - Will give you 100% studio reference sound (FLAT). You will hear what the mixer is hearing when playing your music about 99.5% of the time.
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - Same as the Sony's but not as detailed plus this is more expensive.
Koss KSC75 - Praised by a lot of Head-Fiers. I personally think the bass is too much but for $20 you can't go wrong with the sound quality.
JVC Marshmallows - I really like this and praised by a lot of Head-Fiers. It's warm, rich with sound, and I almost sound identical to Shure E2C.

Those are the top 4 bang of the buck headphones.

The ones I use is more expensive but I think it's worth the money.

Sony MDR-R10 - The best headphones I have ever used period.
Sony Qualia 010 - The second best headphones.
Sony MDR-7509HD - I use this for studio monitoring. Most of my colleagues use MDR-V6/7506 though, yet they like this one better.
Sony MDR-V700DJ - Not a lot of people like this at Head-Fi but I think they didn't use this for what it's meant to be. I use this when I DJ and NOT for long sound sessions. It does emphasize on the bass to give you more club-like feel to it, but the sound quality is great. It does need a powerful amp to give you the best it can offer.
Grado RS-1 - Open air, good quality, not my favorite.

The rest are Bose, Shure, Philips, JVC, AKG, Audio Technica, and Beyerdynamic that I don't currently own. I do own a lot of Sony's but they aren't the sh*t ones. All my testing is through a professional equipment all the way down to CD's and MP3. I do not own anything below 320kbps.

There is my 2 cents.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #26 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. View Post

I recommend these headphones in order of preferences.

Sony MDR-V6/7506 - Will give you 100% studio reference sound (FLAT). You will hear what the mixer is hearing when playing your music about 99.5% of the time.
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - Same as the Sony's but not as detailed plus this is more expensive.
Koss KSC75 - Praised by a lot of Head-Fiers. I personally think the bass is too much but for $20 you can't go wrong with the sound quality.
JVC Marshmallows - I really like this and praised by a lot of Head-Fiers. It's warm, rich with sound, and I almost sound identical to Shure E2C.

Those are the top 4 bang of the buck headphones.

The ones I use is more expensive but I think it's worth the money.

Sony MDR-R10 - The best headphones I have ever used period.
Sony Qualia 010 -
The second best headphones.
Sony MDR-7509HD - I use this for studio monitoring. Most of my colleagues use MDR-V6/7506 though, yet they like this one better.
Sony MDR-V700DJ - Not a lot of people like this at Head-Fi but I think they didn't use this for what it's meant to be. I use this when I DJ and NOT for long sound sessions. It does emphasize on the bass to give you more club-like feel to it, but the sound quality is great. It does need a powerful amp to give you the best it can offer.
Grado RS-1 - Open air, good quality, not my favorite.

The rest are Bose, Shure, Philips, JVC, AKG, Audio Technica, and Beyerdynamic that I don't currently own. I do own a lot of Sony's but they aren't the sh*t ones. All my testing is through a professional equipment all the way down to CD's and MP3. I do not own anything below 320kbps.

There is my 2 cents.

Wow. Thats worth almost 10,000. The holy grail of dynamic cans.. I balanced my SA5000.. My cable maker, Alex, told me that they share some of the same characteristics as the Q10.. Like they are fast, separation, clarity, detail..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #27 of 53 Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV TechnologyGuy View Post

Yes, I second the statement that Sennheiser, Shure, Etymotic, and Audio Technica are great brands. Although there are some exceptional headphones from those companies. I know some of the guys that design for Sennheiser and Shure. They have managed to create some amazing products for a relatively low cost, considering the amount of R&D that goes into them. There are some very good lower cost solutions. Sometimes the differences are small between the headphones beneath the $100 mark and those above.

Your best bet is to get headphones that are as flat as possible and equalize the signal through your device. Many headphones are touted as being "better" because they have "enhanced" bass response or something similar. These types are much more difficult to equalize with wide band EQ's in mobile devices. When one does so, the resultant response is convoluted. Therefore, flat is better. Who would have thought?

Headphones

Thats more preference then anything else. My 650's are far from accurate & neutral, but they sound good to my ears.. The 701'sa re very finicky. Out of my DAC1 they sounded, boring, cold, & sterile.. They sounded quite nice on my Bada12 tube amp, but sold the amp to help pay for my DAC1, so I sold my 701's too..

post #28 of 53 Old 09-29-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The best headphones i've ever had are the Sennheiser HD440 II'S....they're no longer made[i've had Sony V6'S but they sound too bass-y imho compared to the Sennheisers].....I've had em since 1998[the best $79 i've ever spent imho].

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #29 of 53 Old 09-29-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Wow. Thats worth almost 10,000. The holy grail of dynamic cans.. I balanced my SA5000.. My cable maker, Alex, told me that they share some of the same characteristics as the Q10.. Like they are fast, separation, clarity, detail..

SA5000 I think share the same driver, but Qualia 010 was before SA5000. So I
think it's budget version like they do with MDR-V6/7506 and MDR-EX85/90

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #30 of 53 Old 09-29-2007, 03:21 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. View Post

SA5000 I think share the same driver, but Qualia 010 was before SA5000. So I
think it's budget version like they do with MDR-V6/7506 and MDR-EX85/90

010 came out in 04.. The SA5000 came out in 05.. Kinda lame they retail for 700.00.. You can get them for under 400.00 new.. My friend who sold his CDP design & prototype to Sony asked if they would be making a new hi end headphone.. He was told no.. Not cost effective, since Sony is spending all of their revenue on their BR format..

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page