Stereo Preamplifier Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am really happy with my system and love it a lot. But, I am looking at trying something new to squeeze a little more quality out of my system and I need some help. Right now my system is B&W 703 Mains, Rotel RB-1080 amplifier, Rotel RSP-1098 Processor, Arcam CD73 CD Player, Rega P2 TT, Elite DVD Player, and Digital Cable.

I am looking at replacing the RSP-1098 with a two channel stereo preamplifier for music(90% of what I listen to). I would like to keep the RSP-1098 for the processor of digital signals and run it into an input of the stereo preamplifier for movies. I have seen some people have good luck with the Rotel RC-1082 or RC-1090. But, I am curious about other brands of stereo preamplifiers. I have looked a Classe CP-500 and like it a lot, but wanted some other opinions. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am looking for components that will work will with what I already have.

I appreciate the opinions and thoughts...

B&W/Rotel/Arcam/Rega/Pioneer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

joetama,

That 1098 appears to be a really nice prepro. The rest of your components are also pretty strong. If you haven't experimented with acoustic treatments, I would suggest that. Changing loudspeakers will probably give you a more noticeable difference in sound quality.

- Steve O.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Steve O,

I like the acoustics of the room, plus it is a College apartment so I'm not going to be living here long. I have done a little work with the acoustics, but all I want to do. If I did the loudspeaker upgrade I would have to jump into the 803S/D range if I was to upgrade speakers. My dad has the 804S and I like my 703 better (Doesn't make sense but there is something in the 804S). If I did that jump then I would feel my electronics are going to be under par. Terrible Cycle I am in here... LOL

Anyway, just out of curiosity what do you recommend for acoustic treatments?

-Joe

B&W/Rotel/Arcam/Rega/Pioneer
post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2007, 03:40 PM

I would suggest you look strictly for a Pre-Amp that has a HT bypass option. This way, you can isolate your Left and Right channels from the multi function RSP-1098.

The tricky part here, is since you have a turntable you will need to find a pre-amp that has a good Phono input and offers the HT bypass option. I was going to suggest the Adcom GFP-750, or the Primare PRE-30. Both are great pre-amps with home theater bypass options, but I am unsure how they will perform with a turn table. Other options may be Bel Canto or Mark Levinson.

As far as the 804s, I 100% agree with you, they aren’t really repetitive of the 800 series, that really starts at the 803 level.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

There are plenty of room acoustic threads here on avsforum. Basic ones would include first order reflection (diffusion or absorption), corner bass trapping, and your choice of live end/dead end treatments. There is a noticeable difference between having absolutely no acoustic treatments, and doing the basic ones.

- Steve O.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you should get an old Dynaco PAS-3 and recap it, Hell, don't recap it, it'll still sound luscious.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page