shallow receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-08-2007, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a receiver out there that can fit into a cabinet that is only 11 inches deep? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsexton View Post

Is there a receiver out there that can fit into a cabinet that is only 11 inches deep? Thanks

Since you posted in the 2-channel section, I presume you mean a stereo receiver, correct? If your cabinet is only 11" deep, are you leaving room for cable connections?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 19 Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, what I need is a stereo receiver that can hook up six in-ceiling speakers (in three rooms) and a cd player. It's for my mother-in-laws new house (honestly!). She's no Einstein as she had the builder install the wiring source for the the six in-ceiling speakers in a cabinet that is, at best, 11 1/2 inches deep when the doors are closed. So if there are no receivers out there that'll fit into this very shallow cabinet it appears her only other option is to place a receiver into one of the upper (and open) shelves and drill a hole through the shelf to access the speaker wire in the cabinet. The upper shelves are similarly shallow but at least a receiver that is 12 or 13 inches deep can fit onto the shelf and potrude a bit. However, the same receiver simply cannot fit into the cabinet if she wants the doors to close (and of course she does).
post #4 of 19 Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Might be more than you want to spend, but take a look at the Parasound Zcustom series of components. It some of the smallest "real" gear I've seen.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How about three of these
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-812
If she only needs one input (CD) it might be a viable alternative (plus would give volume control to each room)

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 PM

I second the Parasound Zcustom stuff. I've recommended the Zamp from its inception to custom installers, it's hard to beat for multi-zone audio systems with a higher budget.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Yeah, the Z Amp , Pre, and Tuner are great little components. You could do a mini-system but the Parasound pieces are REAL components.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you whoaru99, dknightd, mjrtoo & BobGoshen very much for these leads. I just checked the Parasound website and the Zcustom components look like they'll fit into the cabinet. Thanks again!
post #9 of 19 Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsexton View Post

Thank you whoaru99, dknightd, mjrtoo & BobGoshen very much for these leads. I just checked the Parasound website and the Zcustom components look like they'll fit into the cabinet. Thanks again!

I don't know if mother-in-laws are worthy of high-end components. And I say that both jokingly AND seriously.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #10 of 19 Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

Or you can do a combo of the Z amps and a very small shelf unit. I did this with a Brookstone unit. The Brookstone "micro" system has the tuner, CD player (that can play MP3s) and volume all built in. I feed via the headphone out to the Z amp. This will be much cheaper than getting the ZPre and Z tuner and simplier to use. I can vouch for the quality both build and sonic of the Z amp.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #11 of 19 Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. I just purchased the Parasound Zamp and Brookstone micro cd shelf system. I'll let you know how it works out. The mother in law owes me big time!
post #12 of 19 Old 10-19-2007, 02:30 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

BPsexton. The Brookstone unit I use is now on sale for $99 (Damn!). Anyways, what I did was bought an external AC/DC transformer and wired a cable to it and then attached it directly to the unit. This way you don't need to attach the Power Supply brick > sub brick > unit. Instead you can just use the transformer/PS directly to the unit. The one I got is a mini wall wart. You will need if memory recalls

12V DC adapter
PS/2 keyboard extension (the Brookstone unit uses the same type of connector)
some splicing and soldering and you are in business. I can send you a picture when I get back home next week (out of town right now) with the pinouts

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #13 of 19 Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks EC, any set-up help would be much appreciated. I did get the Brookstone unit on sale ($99) which was a nice surprise.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Shallow Receiver

What is a Sony Alex.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #15 of 19 Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I set up the Parasound Zamp and it fits into the shallow cabinet (10 1/2"D) and works great! The Brookstone unit is on the way. Thanks again for all your help and advice.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How are you going to connect 6 speakers to one Zamp?

post #17 of 19 Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

As I promised, here are the pin outs for the 6 pin connector that go into the Brookstone Micro unit.

and the final result on the right:

I bought a mini 12V 1.5A switching power supply. As you can tell by the above picture it is not your typical wall wart in that it will only take up one outlet space. The above power supply with the PS/2 keyboard connection soldered on will greatly save you space of the two large bricks (Power Supply and Subwoofer) that normally have to be attached the Brookstone unit. All you need is:

- 12V AC/DC adapter ($10 - $15)
- PS/2 keyboard extension cable ($5 - $10)
- wire cutter / strippers
- multi meter (el cheapo ones $5)
- electrical tape or heat shrink

On the 12V AC Adapter:

1. don't plug it in!
2. cut the tip off
3. strip the insultation (1") off for the ground and positive wires

On the PS/2 extension cable
1. from the male end, cut about 6 - 8" (or however long or short you want)
2. strip the insulation (1") off 7 - 8 wires
3. set your multi meter to measure ohms / resistance
4. put one side of the multi meter's lead on the ring of the PS/2 male connector and then touch each wire until you get a short (no resistance) - label that wire as ground
5. repeat the above step but for the "6th pin" but label that wire as 12V
6. cut the other non used wires so they are no longer exposed

Attaching the two cables
1. if you want to get fancy, slide some heat shrink on the 12V cable so it is down by the adapter end
2. intertwine the 12V + wire to the labelled 12V wire o the PS2 cable
3. solder the wires together
4. electrical tape the connection
5. repeat steps 2 -5 for the ground wire
6. plug in the 12 V adapter.
7. set your multi meter to measure voltage (eg 20)
8. put the black tip from the multi meter on the ring of the PS2 connector
9. put the red tip on the "6th pin" you should get a reading of about 12V
10. ensure you have no voltage going into pins 1 - 5 (if you do you might have soldered some other wires together)
11. If all is good, slide the heat shrink over your taped connections and heat it up or use good ol electrical tape to seal your wiring up.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #18 of 19 Old 10-29-2007, 09:22 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

How are you going to connect 6 speakers to one Zamp?

The Zamp v3 (current) has the ability to daisy chain themselves via RCA outputs on the amp. Not sure if the OP bought just one or three. If the latter, there are trim pots at the back of the Zamps which makes them really easy to level match for different speakers in a given room. If the former, I hope the OP has a speaker selector as those impendance "matching" speaker distribution units will work but I don't think the Zamp will have enough juice to drive 3 pairs of speakers at once with decent volume assuming that is required.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #19 of 19 Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks EC for the photos and instructions. Getting rid of the Brookstone woofer and power supply will be worth the effort. As for connecting six speakers to the Zamp - that was easy. The builder did the necessary splicing, whatever, in-wall and the exterior faceplate on the wall is set like a two-speaker connection. Sorry I don't know the terms of art for all of this but sound comes out of all six speakers.

By the way, after I connected my ipod to the Zamp and showed my mother-in-law and her lovely daughter (i.e., my wife) that an ipod would eliminate all the Brookstone components my wife convinced me to buy a 4G ipod for my mother-in-law for Christmas! Will it ever end!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page