Max unbalanced distance? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-11-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What has been everyones experience as far as the maximum distance one has run unbalanced audio over RG-59 or RG-6? I've heard of installations where one has run a dual coax up to @200' from a centralized audio processor to a local receiver. We're talking in situations where there was not a spare CAT5E to send balanced signals.

Might be a dumb question but would the shielding in the RG-6 Quad shield cable assist in reducing noise over a longer run?

Same question concerning component video. What has been everyones experience as far as the maximum distance sending component video over RG59? I've seen installations where the coax was run a little over 100'. RG-6 I've been told is not ideal due to the "skin effect".

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTame View Post

What has been everyones experience as far as the maximum distance one has run unbalanced audio over RG-59 or RG-6? I've heard of installations where one has run a dual coax up to @200' from a centralized audio processor to a local receiver. We're talking in situations where there was not a spare CAT5E to send balanced signals.

Might be a dumb question but would the shielding in the RG-6 Quad shield cable assist in reducing noise over a longer run?

Same question concerning component video. What has been everyones experience as far as the maximum distance sending component video over RG59? I've seen installations where the coax was run a little over 100'. RG-6 I've been told is not ideal due to the "skin effect".

Thanks!

RG59 and RG6 are basically created the same. They're a center conductor surrounded by an insulator, which is surrounded by a shield/conductor, and a jacket that surrounds the shield. If RG6 has the skin effect (an effect where conductive elements tend to travel on the surface of a conductor), then the RG59 would, too.

Bob
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page