Looking for a powerful 2 Channel Amp for 13 Rooms - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-14-2007, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

We wired this 17,500 square ft Home. We ran miles of Speaker wire, RG-6, Cat 5e. We have a separate dedicated Home Theatre. We are now at the phase where we are beginning to install the In Wall & In Ceiling Speakers (Earthquake Image 846, and in ceiling version). We have Niles In Wall Volume Controls (with Impedance matching , if we desire to use it). The customer is adverse to doing a Cat 5 Audio System with keypads. We tried talking them into it. No go. We planned on selling them 2 Earthquake Cinenova 16 Channel Amps which will run 16 pairs of Speakers and has plenty of power. The other possibility would be to purchase 2 2 Channel Amps and use the impedance matching built into the Niles volume controls. In this case, we would need 2 2 channel amps with plenty of power. Any recommendations?

A/V is only as good as your weakest link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm not sure I exactly follow, but I'll give this a go. Are you wanting to know if you can distribute audio to 16 pairs of speakers from two 2-channel amps utilizing Niles volume controls. Is that correct? Is so, then the answer is NO!

Go with the 16 channel amp. This is for background music and 25-40 watts is sufficient if your speakers are decent.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #3 of 4 Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Greeting Mr. Hook-up,
I hope all is good on your end of the world.
In reference to your posting.
The ideal approach would be to have a multi-channel amp to drive each room with it's own amplification, leaving the Niles controls at 1X.
Now you could use a 2 channel amp to drive that many pairs, but there are aspects you have to be aware of, when you set the IM selection on the Niles controls to 16X, in looking at the chart provided in the manual you will see that it is assuming that you have all 8 Ohm speakers, and I say all because it is based on the global presentation to the amplifier. This also implies that you have an amplifier stable at 4 Ohms. Now when you are trying to determine the wattage required, this is where you need to know the efficiency of the speakers installed. Here is an example: using rough numbers, lets say you spec a 100 watt amp with 4 pairs of speakers and they are all identical speakers, right off the top, using a autoformer based impedance matching device you stand to loose 7-10% of power off the top, now you are powering 4 pairs with 90 watts. divided by four and each speaker pair is getting roughly 23 watts, now if you spec'ed a speaker that has a rating of 50-100 watts, the crossover is not going to get adiquate power to sound the way the speaker manufacturer designed it.
With that being said, I assume that you have Niles speakers installed so this problem won't figure into the equasion since Niles designs their speakers with these intentions in mind.
Jeff, I hope this answers your question.

Kelly
post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

As it is stated in the thread, we are using Earthquake Image 846 In Wall Speakers & cooresponding Earthquake In Ceiling Speakers with Dual Tweeters. These speakers are extremely impressive with 8" woofers (3 way with midrange & Silk Dome Tweeter Carbon fiber cone, 1.5" 4 layer high temp voice coil, 18 dB highpass crossover @ 1 kHz, rubber surround woofer ) 5-500 watts power handling. Also, back box (which is removable). Frequency response: 18 Hz- 22 kHz. 3 X 6 ellyptical midrange.
Our initial plan was to use the two Earthquake Cinanova 16 Channel Amps. Bulletproof. Then because of the homeowners desire to lower costs, we reluctantly thought to maybe use two high powered two channel amps. Then we would use the impedance matching in the 13 Niles In Wall Volume Controls. We have an Impedance Meter, so we could control the overall Impedance. Each of the Earthquake Cinenova 16's put out at least 75 watts/channel to all 16 channels both amps driven. Remember, this is a Home that is 17,500 sq. feet. The rooms are quite large. These speakers & the 2 amps should be more then adequate even in large rooms in this very large home.

A/V is only as good as your weakest link.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page