Integrated Amp with Sub Out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 01-18-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know of an Integrated Amp with a dedicated Sub Output ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 PM

You can find a bunch of integrateds with pre-outs which will get the job done. However if you are looking for a sub-out with bass management the only device I know if the Outlaw 2215 Receiver. But if you don't mind sending a full signal to your mains you can use a quality integrated and use a sub to full in the bottom end with pretty good results (it is what I do). Takes time to tweak it but you can get satisfying results.
post #3 of 71 Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 AM

There is also the recently released Arcam Solo Move 2.1. Apparently it has the sound managment featues you may be looking for.

It's posted on the Arcam website.
post #4 of 71 Old 01-19-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznus97 View Post

You can find a bunch of integrateds with pre-outs which will get the job done. However if you are looking for a sub-out with bass management the only device I know if the Outlaw 2215 Receiver.

I just purchased the Outlaw RR2215. I was looking for an itegrated also but couldn't find the options I wanted. Not only does it have the bass managment but it also has a built in DAC with USB connection to hook up my MAC Mini that I use as a music server. LOVE IT!!!

Think for yourself... Question authority!
post #5 of 71 Old 01-19-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My NAD Masters M3 integrated preap has a sub preout jack with high-pass selectable filter.

It is an amazing amp. I'm quite satisfied with it.
post #6 of 71 Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Dunno about the integrated but a good stereo preamp with sub-out is the Parasound 2100.
post #7 of 71 Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTownsend View Post

I just purchased the Outlaw 2215. I was looking for an itegrated also but couldn't find the options I wanted. Not only does it have the bass managment but it also has a built in DAC with USB connection to hook up my MAC Mini that I use as a music server. LOVE IT!!!

don't you guys mean the Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver?

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html
post #8 of 71 Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin k View Post

Anyone know of an Integrated Amp with a dedicated Sub Output ?

Do you mean "an integrated amp with bass management"?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #9 of 71 Old 01-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenassco View Post

don't you guys mean the Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver?

Maybe.

post #10 of 71 Old 01-22-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I was also looking for a 2ch receiver with sub out.
The problem with the NAD M3 or outlaw 2250 is that there is no way to restrict the main L&R outputs to cut off at the the desired frequency. Since I have book shelf speakers this is important.

In other words all these sub out options are not actually like AV receivers where I can set the front L&R as small. I prefer not to send full range to my book shelf speakers.

basically there isnt a 2ch receiver/amp that will let me do that. I have looked at so many sub 1k 2ch gears and none of them have the option I am looking for. basically I am looking for bass management in a 2ch receiver/amp. I just wonder why this is not available. Not everyone who uses a 2ch receiver has full range speakers.

I dont want to send full range to my book shelf speakers and drive them hard.

With all these 2ch amps that provide sub out/pre put all I can do it augment the L&R with the sub, which I dont like to do as I dont like to drive my small speakers with full range.

I have posted a million posts on this topic but so far no one has understood my requireents. Everyone keeps telling me to use a sub using the pre-outs.
Duh! I know that I can connect a powered sub to the pre outs. But that is not what I am looking for.

I hope someone from Rotel or NAD would one day read my posts and understand the need for bass management in a 2ch receiver.

You might wonder why then I am not buying an AV receiver. Well for 2ch music the mass market AV receivers arent good. May be Marantz 4002 will give me the rotel sound but I dont want to spend some $500 for features like HDMI which I dont need right now.

Now my question is this:

say I use my old AVR (yamaha RX-V795a) as a pre. and use Rotel RB-1050 amp. Then set the speakers as small on the AVR. Will this also make the L&R pre-outs as small and send only 80Hz (cut off in my AVR) and above to the
amp. If this is possible then I can keep my sub connected to the AVR and this was I get the bass management and also a good 2ch amp that will deal
only with 80Hz and above.
But if the pre.outs in the AVR are not affected but any speaker settings on the AVR, then this wont work. From what I understand the pre.outs on the AVR are affected only by the volume change on the AVR. darn!
post #11 of 71 Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

I was also looking for a 2ch receiver with sub out.
The problem with the NAD M3 or outlaw 2250 is that there is no way to restrict the main L&R outputs to cut off at the the desired frequency. Since I have book shelf speakers this is important.

In other words all these sub out options are not actually like AV receivers where I can set the front L&R as small. I prefer not to send full range to my book shelf speakers.

Not exactly! The Outlaw RR2250 has bass management. I can choose to cross over at 60, 80 or 100.

post #12 of 71 Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You might wonder why then I am not buying an AV receiver. Well for 2ch music the mass market AV receivers arent good. May be Marantz 4002 will give me the rotel sound but I dont want to spend some $500 for features like HDMI which I dont need right now.

Mupi, what bookshelf speakers do you own?

I ask you this because IMO a nice stereo amplifier with a sound supposedly better than any stereo receiver's sound, deserves a good pair of floortanders!
post #13 of 71 Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not exactly! The Outlaw RR2250 has bass management. I can choose to cross over at 60, 80 or 100.

that is not base management.
Does outlaw set the L&R speakers to small when I set the cross over
in other words does it cut the left and right at the cross over and send
only above the cross over. I dont think it does
post #14 of 71 Old 01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 View Post

Mupi, what bookshelf speakers do you own?

I ask you this because IMO a nice stereo amplifier with a sound supposedly better than any stereo receiver's sound, deserves a good pair of floortanders!

well I am not looking for just an amp. I am looking for a 2ch receiver that has bass management. i.e ability to set the L&R speakers as small.
in other words I dont want to send full range signal to my small speakers.
I have Klipsch RB81 which are not one of those tiny satellite speakers.
They can handle the mids and highs and go as low as 50Hz but anything below they struggle. I dont want any discussion regarding how bright Klipsch are. Suffice it to say that the new Ref. IV is a lot smoother than the Ref 3 series.

Also a 2ch amp is no way better sounding than a 2ch receiver or 2ch int. amp. On what basic you make that claim.

I have auditioned Rotel RX-1052, RA-1062, RB-1050 and RB-1070.
There is no difference in sound. One has more power than the other but there is no compromise in sound. I auditioned these with the B&W 685.
I have audiotned Rotel 1052 with Klipsch RB81 which are the same speakers I have.

Like I said I have done a lot of searching and I have come to a conclusion that a 2ch receiver/int. amp just cant do what I want.
post #15 of 71 Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW those cross overs for the sub or pre. out only apply to the signal that is sent to the sub/pre.out i.e like a low pass filter. It does not affect the signal sent to the
L&R. The L&R still get full range signal and I dont like to drive my small speakers with full range signal. Unless the outlaw receiver applies a high pass to the L&R (i.e setting them small like in a AVR), the signal sent to L&R will be full range and this is not bass management in my opinion. All these receivers are just giving is an option to augment the bass using a sub woofer. This is fine but like I said I dont like the muddy bass from my small speakers mixed with with the bass from my sub.

If my above statement is wrong I would be first person to feel good about it!
post #16 of 71 Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 PM

FWIW, I'm solving this problem by using a NuForce AVP-16 as my pre-amp, which drives a Parasound HCA-1000 2-channel amp. So, basically, I am using a surround-capable pre-pro as a 2 channel preamp. It works pretty well - the NuForce has a repuation of having good SQ for music (and this combo, with my Onix Ref1 monitors sounds great to my ears although I don't have much to compare it to). I'm able to use the NuForce's bass management to cross the mains over at whatever frequency I like.

So, no, this does not solve your problem of wanting to do this with an integrated. But the NuForce/Parasound combo cost me about $1k off Audiogon. I'm not sure I would have gone this way had I set out to do purely 2 channel to start with - I originally had hoped to do surround music, but have since changed my mind - but I am actually quite happy with the result. I probably won't switch over to a "pure" 2 channel pre until I get speakers that go deep enough such that I don't want a subwoofer anymore.
post #17 of 71 Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:

that is not base management.
Does outlaw set the L&R speakers to small when I set the cross over
in other words does it cut the left and right at the cross over and send
only above the cross over. I dont think it does

Read the online manual (page 15) and make sure you have the facts before you type!

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/2150manual.pdf

post #18 of 71 Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also a 2ch amp is no way better sounding than a 2ch receiver or 2ch int. amp. On what basic you make that claim.

I did't claim anything. That's why I used the word "supposedly". Conversely, I thought you subscribe to that concept when you wrote this:

Quote:

post #19 of 71 Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Read the online manual (page 15) and make sure you have the facts before you type!

Mupi,

Thanks to WestTownsend, I think you're done with this Outlaw:

Quote:
Subwoofers and Bass Management Settings

The RR 2150 is unique among stereo receivers in that it has built-in bass
management, a feature common, if not required, for multi-channel products,
but not found in the two-channel world. While traditional two-channel systems
have long used full-range speakers, modern audio systems - even those designed
for two-channel music - may use frequency limited bookshelf, or satellite
speakers in combination with a separate subwoofer.

post #20 of 71 Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

......................there is no way to restrict the main L&R outputs to cut off at the the desired frequency. Since I have book shelf speakers this is important.

Why don't you just use a speaker-level connection to a subwoofer and the subwoofer's high-passed speaker-level outputs to the speakers? No, you won't have a choice over what frequency a particular sub's fixed high-pass filter is or the ability to change it, but most are in the neighborhood of 80 to 100Hz. Many people actually find the slopes of the filters in the sub and the ability to use a truly continuously variable low-pass filter setting (mistakenly called the sub's crossover) to be preferable for 2.1 music setups. With most AVR-type bass management schemes you are limited to a very rigid, single, fixed (albeit adjustable) crossover with the same high and low-pass filter values. With a subwoofer's continuously variable low-pass filter, you can create a "custom crossover" with 2 different high and low-pass filter values and this often produces better integration results, particularly for music.

And there ARE some more advanced subs that DO allow you to change the fixed high-pass filter setting that is applied to the speaker-level outputs as well as the ability to customize the slopes of both the fixed high-pass filter and the continuously variable low-pass filter.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #21 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/2150manual.pdf

I read the manual. it clearly says that it just duplicates the full
range signal at the sub out. This is not same as setting the
speakers as small. I have the facts. Like I said I have done my research.
post #22 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Why don't you just use a speaker-level connection to a subwoofer and the subwoofer's high-passed speaker-level outputs to the speakers? No, you won't have a choice over what frequency a particular sub's fixed high-pass filter is or the ability to change it, but most are in the neighborhood of 80 to 100Hz. Many people actually find the slopes of the filters in the sub and the ability to use a truly continuously variable low-pass filter setting (mistakenly called the sub's crossover) to be preferable for 2.1 music setups. With most AVR-type bass management schemes you are limited to a very rigid, single, fixed (albeit adjustable) crossover with the same high and low-pass filter values. With a subwoofer's continuously variable low-pass filter, you can create a "custom crossover" with 2 different high and low-pass filter values and this often produces better integration results, particularly for music.

And there ARE some more advanced subs that DO allow you to change the fixed high-pass filter setting that is applied to the speaker-level outputs as well as the ability to customize the slopes of both the fixed high-pass filter and the continuously variable low-pass filter.

I guess I had replied to this same issue in another thread in which you had posted.

No I dont want to use a lousy cross over on a sub when I am investing $899 on a rotel receiver. Then why bother to spend so much on a 2ch receiver. I might as well use my old AVR do do this.
post #23 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHudetz View Post

FWIW, I'm solving this problem by using a NuForce AVP-16 as my pre-amp, which drives a Parasound HCA-1000 2-channel amp. So, basically, I am using a surround-capable pre-pro as a 2 channel preamp. It works pretty well - the NuForce has a repuation of having good SQ for music (and this combo, with my Onix Ref1 monitors sounds great to my ears although I don't have much to compare it to). I'm able to use the NuForce's bass management to cross the mains over at whatever frequency I like.

So, no, this does not solve your problem of wanting to do this with an integrated. But the NuForce/Parasound combo cost me about $1k off Audiogon. I'm not sure I would have gone this way had I set out to do purely 2 channel to start with - I originally had hoped to do surround music, but have since changed my mind - but I am actually quite happy with the result. I probably won't switch over to a "pure" 2 channel pre until I get speakers that go deep enough such that I don't want a subwoofer anymore.

looks like you are only one here who has understood what I want.

yep unless I have a speaker that goes deep enough I cant get rid of a sub and so I dont have a cheap solution in the form of a 2ch receiver or integrated amp
post #24 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mupi,

Thanks to WestTownsend, I think you're done with this Outlaw:

nope. all it is doing is duplicating full range at the sub out.

By selecting the cross over it uses it low pass filter so that
one doesnt have to rely on the low pass on the sub. Outlaw claims that its low pass it better. Also this helps if one has a passive sub.

So basically the signal at the L&R is always full range and this doesnt work for me as I dont want to send full range to my small speakers.
post #25 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

and no I dont care about sending full range to my sub and then connecting the speakers to the sub. Then why bother to spend $$'s on a high end 2ch receiver

Also my sub (sunfire true sub junior) does not have speaker level outputs. So
that option is ruled out anyway.

My best bet was the Yamaha-RX-V659. This is actually a AV receiver but has a much better transformer and circuitry than the other models like RX-V661 (HDMI)
But I waited too long. This is pretty much sold out. I could have had this for
$338 free S&H. Missed it. Loser!
post #26 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did't claim anything. That's why I used the word "supposedly". Conversely, I thought you subscribe to that concept when you wrote this:

well not quite. The mass market AV receivers focus on packing more features per dollar and compromise on sound quality and circuitry. I bought the Yamaha RX-V661 recently. Didnt like it for music. It is too bright and mids are too forwards. No it is not the klipsch. I also had the Boston Acoustics CR85 bookshelf speakers and they too sounded bright and mid was too forward.
Where as my old RX-V795a sounds so much better.

Try the rotel-RX1052 2ch receiver and a DENON 7.1 receiver like 2308 on the same speakers like Klipsch RB81. You will notice a lot of difference. Infact that is what drove towards the 2ch when I heard them at the dealer. I bought the klipsch RB81 but havent finalized the 2ch receiver yet.

On the other hand try the 2ch receiver or amp from the same manufacturer and same class (CLASS AB) then you will not notice any difference in sound quality. Like I said before RX-1052, RA-1062, RB-1050, RB-1079 etc all sound the same to me. More power in one amp of the same manufacturer does not equate to better sound in my opinion, though some folks here claim that
RB-1070 sounds better than RB-1050 (i.e bass is better on 1070). But I did not notice that. 1070 sure can play louder than 1050 but that does not mean it sounds better.

Anyway I have made the same arguments in another thread. So I see no point in wasting time here as I really dont see a solution to my problem. In fact folks in that thread ultimately concluded that my problem is unique and may not have a solution, except of course a AV receiver which I already have.
post #27 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope I didnt hijack the thread from the OP

I just ordered Yamaha RX-V659. May be they got more
stock so the link came back up.

Check out the review at www.audioholics.com

I still have some $500 to spend from Bush's tax refund :-)

Most likely I will get the Rotel-RB1050 ($399) 2ch amp 70wpc
and use the 659 as a pre. I will experiment with the pre.outs
of 659 and see if setting the speakers as small will send only
highs and mid to the pre.outs. Otherwise see that on ebay soon :-)
post #28 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:

I read the manual. it clearly says that it just duplicates the full
range signal at the sub out. This is not same as setting the
speakers as small. I have the facts. Like I said I have done my research.

You did manage to read one thing correctly. I'm proud of you!!

It does duplicate the full range signal at the sub out, (now here is the part you missed) when the internal crossover is set to BYPASS.

I'm done!

post #29 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No I dont want to use a lousy cross over on a sub when I am investing $899 on a rotel receiver. Then why bother to spend so much on a 2ch receiver. I might as well use my old AVR do do this.

Quote:

and no I dont care about sending full range to my sub and then connecting the speakers to the sub. Then why bother to spend $$'s on a high end 2ch receiver.

Why do think the fixed high and variable low pass filters on a sub are "lousy"?

If you think that a digital crossover is somehow better, you are mistaken. I explained the advantages of utilizing the fixed high and variable low pass filters available on most subwoofers. If you don't wish to listen to what I'm saying there isn't much I can do about that.

post #30 of 71 Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

where in the manual does it say that setting to a cross over of
60/80/100 infact cuts the L&R signal at that frequency. The manual
implies that the cross over is useful for passive sub woofer or
if the cross over in the sub is not good quality.

Have you connected bookshelf speakers to your outlaw receiver and used the bass management?

Is there a way for you to confirm that the receiver indeed cuts the
L&R signal at the selected cross over frequency?

Spending $649 should not be the only way to find that out for me
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page