The GAIN 2 System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/v...t.asp?idpage=9

This will help see what your systems made of.

I just picked up Rushemenent waves, and unbelieveable detail. Gave the system sorta its own little time to shine. 24k gold for unrieveled quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

I am guessing these will play on any cd player correct? Which is better the UHR SACD or 24kt CD?
post #3 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

yes the ultra disc II with 24k can be played back in any standard cd player. as for which has better quality I would still say the 24k due to its reflective properties. It was also saying that with a good laser system it will sound better as the laser wears in the cd.
post #4 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Another Audiophile peice of crockery.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #5 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wiz kid View Post

It was also saying that with a good laser system it will sound better as the laser wears in the cd.

Until it cuts all the way through.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

so your saying thats just a advertising ploy? I was figuring that the lacquer used is what was "cut into" causing a thinner layer between the bits of info of music and the laser? More info please.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
There's no cutting and no laquer involved, unless you are talking about vinyl records.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Is this supposed to be "news"? I've been supporting MoFi for years..

MoFi is one of the best "remasterer's" in the world. It's no secret, however many people don't know about them because there's not a lot of publicity around here, and I suppose that's how they'd like to keep it.

EDIT: And what's this doing in the "2-channel" audio section?
post #9 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 View Post

Is this supposed to be "news"? I've been supporting MoFi for years..

MoFi is one of the best "remasterer's" in the world. It's no secret, however many people don't know about them because there's not a lot of publicity around here, and I suppose that's how they'd like to keep it.

EDIT: And what's this doing in the "2-channel" audio section?

Why can't it be in the 2ch section? After all it is music and most people listen to music in 2ch.

Back to the main topic I don't really care what the cd is made of but if the mastering is good it's worth a shot. The Pixies Surfer Rosa SACD has caught my interest.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post

Why can't it be in the 2ch section? After all it is music and most people listen to music in 2ch.

Back to the main topic I don't really care what the cd is made of but if the mastering is good it's worth a shot. The Pixies Surfer Rosa SACD has caught my interest.

I guess it doesn't matter, however I would have thought it would be in a different section. I didn't mean to come off like I did.

The mastering is some of the best in the world, and at times can be compared to some vinyl.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 View Post

I guess it doesn't matter, however I would have thought it would be in a different section. I didn't mean to come off like I did.

The mastering is some of the best in the world, and at times can be compared to some vinyl.

So I take it their vinyl is even better?
post #12 of 20 Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

vinyl would be better if your using good equipment for playback. I've heard thats the idea behind it, you gotta have a good needle to start. Im not to informed on that subject tho.
I'm Just surprised the MoFi would give a little insert stating that about the laser, they even say they use a special laquer on the cd as well? That point aside, the cd quality kick ass for sure. Ive even compared it to the regular that my dad had and it was way more dymanic and seperation of insurments and space are excellent. They need to increase there library maybe add some tool in there.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM

Not to rain on the MoFi parade, back in the early 90s I bought 3 of their Original Master Recordings: Dark Side of the Moon, Blind Faith, and Slowhand. I was not particularly impressed with the sound quality of any of them. I had just dropped several large in equipment upgrades and wanted to determine if off-the-store shelf CDs could be improved on with these gold plated versions. The answer, at least in my opinion, with these 3, was no.

I'm open to trying some new versions and willing to keep an open mind!!!!!
post #14 of 20 Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoney99 View Post

Not to rain on the MoFi parade, back in the early 90s I bought 3 of their Original Master Recordings: Dark Side of the Moon, Blind Faith, and Slowhand. I was not particularly impressed with the sound quality of any of them. I had just dropped several large in equipment upgrades and wanted to determine if off-the-store shelf CDs could be improved on with these gold plated versions. The answer, at least in my opinion, with these 3, was no.

Some of their older releases (late 80's/early 90's) are some of the best ones done. Their Steely Dan - Aja reissue is just absolutely stunning. I also have the 80's release of the CD, and the MoFi is honestly a step above.

All of the newest releases are also worth a listen. I am continually impressed by the SQ, and the extraordinary value. MoFi cost's twice as much as a "normal" CD, and also has twice the SQ as well. Worth every penny, IMO.

-Nick
post #15 of 20 Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 PM

Nobody is perfect, but Mofi generally puts out good stuff. I hope they get the re-mastering rights to some of the compressed crap we are hearing (dream on, I know) in pop/rock for the last decade. I suspect they could clean it up considerably. I love Amy Lee's voice but damn that CD is horrible.

As far as the gold/silver thing: Aluminum is used for the reflective surface because it exhibits suitable qualities for the task and is relatively inexpensive. Gold is better at resisting degradation (pits, tiny holes) that can occur (usually due to UV) and cause data loss. So, if you regularly leave your shiny discs in direct sunlight for weeks on end or want to put a CD into a 100 year time capsule then the gold medium may offer better longevity. It is also very pretty. The real gold is in the artist/engineer.

I am personally looking forward to iridium CDs. I hear the transitional metals of the platinum group all really open up the bass.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Wow... Sneezy, thank you for clearing that mystery up. When can I expect to see iridium? How much will it be? Where will I be able to find it?
post #17 of 20 Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Until it cuts all the way through.

post #18 of 20 Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If you still have the CD's there is a lucrative market on E-bay for them. FYI
post #19 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Dark Side of the Moon and Slowhand are two of my favorite MoFi discs. I don't listen to them very much anymore because I have SACD's of both but they still hold their own. I've got close to 300 24k discs, around 180 MoFi's (the rest DCC's Sheffield Lab, CBS/Mastersound, DMP, Atlantic, etc) and most of them sound pretty darn good. I didn't always agree with some of the EQ choices MoFi made but usually they still sounded better than what else was available.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

I found the exact same problem with MoFi, to an embarrassing degree, with Counting Crows: August and Everything After . I borrowed my roommate's standard CD pressing, liked it so much I ran out and bought the MFSL version. We sat down for a comparison, and...sh1t! They took my $25 and ran! I couldn't believe how muffled the MFSL version was.

To be fair, I think MoFi is just inconsistent in their release quality. Case in point: their version of Pink Floyd's The Wall comes across very nicely, as does U2's Joshua Tree.

Moral of the story: if you want the definitive version of a title, first check for an SACD or even a DVD-A version. They're almost always better than any CD release. Second, if you can borrow an MFSL release before you buy, that's a great strategy. Alt.binaries.sounds.lossless can be helpful in this regard.

There is a caveat to the above advice: a few DVD-A titles suffer from loudness war remastering- Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Jackson Browne's Running On Empty are particularly overcooked.

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page