Birth of a DIY Curved Screen (AT Grey) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well after a bunch of research and deliberating I have decided to build a 2.37:1 curved screen. I researched and researched for grey acoustically transparent material to use but did not find anything that I could use but was set on a hi contrast grey screen with acoustically transparent properties. I went to the local fabric stores on a quest after a few tries and disappointments I have found something that would work perfectly so I went along with the build.

I plotted out a CAD designed top and bottom piece with a 40' curve with our company plotter, cut out the shape and then traced it onto wood pieces. I carefully cut the curve out with a jig saw and then attached a 2-1/4" casing to the pieces of wood. Then built a frame around it making sure it was all square. After that I painted the whole frame flat black. Then came stretching of the fabric and of course at the end, the build and attachment of the frame, which was covered with black velvet material. The frame is attached with brackets in such a way that it can be taken off if the material needs to be stretched or replaced. The mounting method of the black frame does not put holes in the material at all.

I have also utilized rare earth magnets fastened in the main frame at the 16:9 and 4:3 locations at the top and bottom so that easy and accurate masking is possible with a snap. I was not planning to go to motorized masking so this was a quick and simple solution. I did not take too many photos of the build process but here are some:

LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Some more photos:

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

The last few photos before the hanging. And before I hang it I need to relocate my in-wall speakers so a bit of drywall work will have to be done. Otherwise I think I'll be extremely happy with it. The picture quality on this material seems to be excellent to my eyes and the AT characteristics as well. Stay tuned for more photos of it hung and screen shots from my Optoma HD80 and a (custom designed HTB- Anamorphic Lens (thanks Randy!! ))

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Looks nice. What material did you end up using?
post #5 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

The material is a bit of a mystery. It was in the Bargain bin and did not have a model or manufacturer on it. It looks like cotton to me. It is stretchy in the vertical direction and looks like a weave similar to the Dazian CCC white stuff. You can see through it when you hold it up to the light but I could not see my speakers behind it when projecting an image which was a bonus. I'll see if I can pick up some more of it as a spare and find out if the people that work at the fabric shop can give me the exact brand and model # for it.
post #6 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Very nice. Looks like a bought one

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #7 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mark. It means a lot to me to get a complement like that from one of the pros....

I must say that relocating the speakers and doing drywall, patch ups with taping and mudding really sucks. I hate drywall work with a passion and not its the only thing preventing me from handing my new screen on that wall... Wish me luck. I'm hoping to have it all completed this weekend so that I can watch some movies for a change....

Also lets just say that when the wife saw the holes for the speakers moved and the mess on the wall, she was insanely pissed off at me for poking holes in the brand new wall in our brand new house for a second time... Oh boy...it was not fun....
post #8 of 34 Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post

Thanks Mark. It means a lot to me to get a complement like that from one of the pros....

Thank you

Quote:

Also lets just say that when the wife saw the holes for the speakers moved and the mess on the wall, she was insanely pissed off at me for poking wholes in the brand new wall in our brand new house for a second time... Oh buy...it was not fun....

I have done a few AT screens now, and yes during construction, they tend to look a bit messy, but your wife will be greatful later on then she can not see the speakers

Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #9 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

.....then she can not see the speakers

Mark

Oh... but I'm planning on back lighting them...just so that she can see them.... ha ha
post #10 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 PM

What size is this screen? Maybe I could use your plans? It looks pretty close to what I'll need...

TIA, Chris
post #11 of 34 Old 04-18-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

It is 112.6" wide and 47.5" Tall... 122" diagonal
post #12 of 34 Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos of the finished product, hung up. I have been successful in repositioning my in-wall speakers and patching up the drywall. The screen looks great and the sound is perfect. No degradation of sound quality at all from what I can tell. Of course Murphy's law prevails. My PS3 will no longer read any blu rays, games nor DVDs so therefore no hi def fun for me until Sony sends me a new unit under warranty. Its amazing that after all that work I need to wait even longer.

Here are some more pics. Screen shots will have to wait I guess.

LL
LL
LL
LL
post #13 of 34 Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still fine tuning my HTB lens setup (just got the custom one today...Thanks Randy!)...and of course I have no HD source right now...PS3 is getting replaced under warranty so no blu ray. Here are some shots of Gladiator DVD... Of course it looks much better in real life than my little point and shoot camera can capture.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #14 of 34 Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a few more...

with flash....

without flash...

And Some more:

LL
LL
LL
LL
post #15 of 34 Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Very nice. Your wife should be pleased looks a lot cleaner this way.
post #16 of 34 Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

It sure is an immersive experience now. A lot more than with the 16:9 screen. I can't wait to get my blu-ray back.....
post #17 of 34 Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I like your screen frame design, great job.
I'm going to use that as basepoint for my 2.35:1 DW Laminate 128" diag screen.

Changes:
a) I'll be using structural extruded aluminum metal framing for my screen frame base (no warping ever), with 1 x 4 wood curved per AussieBob's excel sheet.
>>The Alum framing I will use is 0.269lb/linear foot, very lightweight, the aluminum base will be around 11.0 lbs.
b) DW Laminate (due to my kids, see this post How many of you had your screen damaged by kids? (This is my retail or DIY decision) )

I actually just met with the sales rep and he's told me quite a few commercial places that make screens for business's have used their structural extruded aluminum framing for just that. (Detroit Edison master control room, etc)
I'm 100% going to do this, material order will be placed 4/30, build for the screen will be weekend of 5/10.

I'll post a separate thread in the 2.35 DIY section, since some people here have an interest in metal frame as an option vs wood.
post #18 of 34 Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mike.
Good luck with your project, make sure you show us your progress. As far as DW screen, that was the first screen I built but since my room has white ceilings and relatively light color scheme, I was not too happy with the performance of DW as the image looked a bit too washed out for my tastes. Thats why I was set on high contrast grey.
post #19 of 34 Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

About the fabric.... The best I could find out about the fabric is that since it was in the bargain bin it was not labeled and they could not tell for sure. The cashier told me that she thinks that its something called poplin solid whatever that means.
post #20 of 34 Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for the PM.

Quote:

...Also lets just say that when the wife saw the holes for the speakers moved and the mess on the wall, she was insanely pissed off at me for poking holes in the brand new wall in our brand new house for a second time...

Been there, done that. Mine came home while drywall dust was flying in the living room. I got the same "more holes?!@#$!?$" arrows, um comments, flying at me.

Great job! I'm sure you love it.

It doesn't look like you've done a lot to isolate the sound down there. I'm curious how much it travels upstairs using those in walls. Do they have enclosures? Would it wake someone up on the main floor? I'm thinking about doing inwalls in my living room, but am afraid that coupling them with studs with just create a path to the rest of the house. How do yours perform?

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #21 of 34 Old 05-10-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

I did not install enclosures for the inwalls, however I did stuff a whole bunch is insulation behind them. As far as the sound traveling upstairs I'd say that they are the same as my previous floor standing speakers. The biggest house shaking culprit is my Velodyne sub. Since the pics posted here I have installed curtains at each entrance way for upstairs, when closed, the sound traveling upstairs from the main (inwall speakers) is not too bad. However, all that is quite subjective. I'd say if you were considering inwalls I'd say go for it, they are no worse than standing speakers in my experience, just use a bunch of insulation behind them. As far as Waking someone up upstairs, hmm when I watch a movie full blast I'm sure I could wake up the neighbors....
post #22 of 34 Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Talontsi96,

Forgive me for this stupid question; what are the two black vertical bars on the front of your brand new freshly mounted AT acreen surface ? Are they part of a masking setup for 16:9 movies ? They seem to come & go, on several pictures of this screen while it's on the floor & then on the wall.

John
post #23 of 34 Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have installed magnets in the frame behind the screen material at the 4:3 and 16:9 locations. The vertical pieces have metal tabs on the top and bottom. When watching a 16:9 movie I just snap those pieces on for masking purposes. They work quite well. When not in use they snap into the side piece of the frame (that also has magnets) and are totally out of sight. The system is simple yet effective.
post #24 of 34 Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Yes, I have installed magnets in the frame behind the screen material at the 4:3 and 16:9 locations. The vertical pieces have metal tabs on the top and bottom. When watching a 16:9 movie I just snap those pieces on for masking purposes. They work quite well. When not in use they snap into the side piece of the frame (that also has magnets) and are totally out of sight. The system is simple yet effective.

Another idea I'll borrow from you.
(my structural extruded aluminum metal framing DIY post will be in this DIY Constant Height forum shortly)

Your masking instead of being "full width" gives a "border width"?
I like that and can see how that clearly defines the "edge" of the picture and simplifies things considerably from a "full width" masking.

When you watch HDTV (sports/etc) in 16:9 with some ambient light on (low intensity) the little of screen showing on each side is no issue I assume?
post #25 of 34 Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Do you have black material attached to the "masking bars" to mask the screen area outside those bars?

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #26 of 34 Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Another idea I'll borrow from you.
(my structural extruded aluminum metal framing DIY post will be in this DIY Constant Height forum shortly)

Your masking instead of being "full width" gives a "border width"?
I like that and can see how that clearly defines the "edge" of the picture and simplifies things considerably from a "full width" masking.

When you watch HDTV (sports/etc) in 16:9 with some ambient light on (low intensity) the little of screen showing on each side is no issue I assume?

Honestly, the 16:9 masking works great, with no ambient light you can not see the edges of the screen that are not masked with some ambient light the unmasked sides of the screen do not really stand out. It alomost looks like two vertical speaker grilles and speakers to the side of the now 16:9 screen. I must confess that the 4:3 material is a bit problematic though because whit the masking panels set up in the 4:3 noticeable light spill from the native 16:9 projector can be seen to each side of the masking panels on the unused screen. So 4:3 material is not all the perfect, 16:9 material masking is great.
post #27 of 34 Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did not install enclosures for the inwalls, however I did stuff a whole bunch is insulation behind them. As far as the sound traveling upstairs I'd say that they are the same as my previous floor standing speakers. The biggest house shaking culprit is my Velodyne sub. Since the pics posted here I have installed curtains at each entrance way for upstairs, when closed, the sound traveling upstairs from the main (inwall speakers) is not too bad. However, all that is quite subjective. I'd say if you were considering inwalls I'd say go for it, they are no worse than standing speakers in my experience, just use a bunch of insulation behind them. As far as Waking someone up upstairs, hmm when I watch a movie full blast I'm sure I could wake up the neighbors....

Thanks Talontsi96.
Guess if the light spill, when you do a 4:3 film, gets too annoying you could install a set of velvet curtains
on a curtain rod.

Thanks for the great photos, great job!

John
post #28 of 34 Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 AM

Nice work! Did you work from a set of plans are just on the fly? Would you be willing to share more measurements of the framing? I plan on starting off with a painted DIY screen paint kit but love the curved look.
post #29 of 34 Old 05-15-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

I used a 40' radius that was cut out of the boards with a jig saw. The width of the main frame was 112.5" and height was 47.5" .. Then the flat casing board was screwed to the main frame. If you need any other measurements PM me.
post #30 of 34 Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some more screen shots this time from blu ray, I think this screen does a very nice job as does the HTB lens.

Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page