DIY Laminated Wood Curved AT Screen - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 04-24-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgoldberg View Post
(I'm the same guy as BungalowFilms, I just had problems logging in under that name.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BungalowFilms View Post

Time to bring back to life this old but great build.

I got a JVC RS400 now, and looking at going AT with Seymour UF weave.

Looking at your forms, how do you think instead of clamps using long tie down straps to give the pressure and shape to the wood till dry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Good job.

My mask over my curved AT screen is just MDF covered in black felt. Easy, affordable and does the job.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #33 of 33 Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BungalowFilms View Post
The screen members would wind up being 1 inch thick by 3 1/2 inches wide and would be laminated together out of five layers of 1/4 inch thick Luann plywood. Like most plywood, Luann is slightly undersize in thickness; the five layers stacked up measured almost exactly one inch. Luann is an inexpensive imported mahogany plywood. In hindsight, it might have been better to use a better quality material (less flex) but at the time, the Luann was all I could find in a ten-foot long sheet.
I'm so glad somebody revived this thread ! It is not one I ever found when searching for curved screen builds. Laminating plywood strips had occurred to me as the best way to arrive at stiff and straight long frame members -- more so than trying to find 12' lengths of straight poplar or other woods -- and for much lower cost. I'm happy to see somebody else has already proven the concept. Luann would be even cheaper than the 1/4" sanded ply I'd also considered.

You mention that 5 layers still ended up flexible, and I'd like to know just how flexible, because flexible is what I actually desire. I am planning on a screen anchored to the wall only at the midpoint top and bottom, such that the sides can be pulled out from the wall and held there by legs/flaps to form the appropriate curve for when my a-lens is in place. I need to find the right level of stiffness so the curve created by just holding the sides out is smooth. Then those legs/flaps will both pin the screen sides flat against the wall and be the side masking for 16:9 when the a-lens is not in place. I had thought any more than 3 layers of laminated Luann would make it too stiff to perform this bending and flattening, but you say 5 layers was still so flexible that you needed support ribs ?

Also, you mentioned you used Luann because it came in 10' lengths, but I didn't think full length would matter in a lamination. Being able to buy just two sheets of 4x8 Luann and build up 12' long top and bottom members via laminating 6" wide strips of offset pieces seems workable, no ? 8' lengths will fit in my SUV if HomeDepot will rip them down to 2'x8' for me.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Constant Height

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page