DIY CIH temp setup help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-21-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all.
Im ready to go forward with a CIH PJ setup. However, Im looking to try a very basic setup first. Its likely to be a relatively small screen, and an inexpensive PJ/lens setup. I really want to know if its going to be worth the experience for a dedicated theater.

I'd like your recommendations for an inexpensive PJ/lens/(if necessary)scaler setup that will give me an idea of what kind of experience i might be moving into.

If its as great as everyone who has them thinks they are, then I can can go full bore into the construction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuncHwagon View Post

Hi all.
Im ready to go forward with a CIH PJ setup. However, Im looking to try a very basic setup first. Its likely to be a relatively small screen, and an inexpensive PJ/lens setup. I really want to know if its going to be worth the experience for a dedicated theater.

I'd like your recommendations for an inexpensive PJ/lens/(if necessary)scaler setup that will give me an idea of what kind of experience i might be moving into.

If its as great as everyone who has them thinks they are, then I can can go full bore into the construction.

Is it worth it?
Heck yes. I've had 0 people say otherwise in my really humble set-up.
Can you go to a dealer nearby and experience their set-up 1st hand?
Look/ask around.
How about other avs members near you or avs HT meets? (forum for that)

If you want lowest cost in home evaluation, I'd say:
-work with a local dealer, let him know your thinking CIH route, try and borrow a "demo" PJ to evaluate your situation. Offer him say $50 for 1 week demo, with the $ going towards PJ if you choose to buy later
-get a 4' x 8' DW laminate sheet as your temp screen, see the DIY screen section for that construction method/other low $$ choices
-zoom not lens for this evaluation, consider lens after you are committed to CIH

welcome and good luck
post #3 of 6 Old 10-02-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I got a B stock projector here at AVS and (new) OPPO BD player for under three grand. My temporary screen cost $25. I'm using the "zoom" method, so no lens or scaler needed. Results are fantastic.

I have a great base for future improvements:
- Lens
- scaler with color management system
- better screen
- motorized masking
- new prepro
- new surround speakers

Go for it!
Ditto the suggestion for getting a demo from someone.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #4 of 6 Old 10-02-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I probably should have been a bit more specific. I really want to watch 2.35:1 movies in all their glory. So Im looking at a basic setup for this purpose. I've been looking closely at the oppo, as I've heard it can do the vertical stretch necessary without a dedicated scaler and the PQ on all material is solid.

Knowing that, i suppose im looking for a good "value" type projector to start with. And I'm not speaking of "value" in the $3k range.

Additionally, Im curious about the "DIY" lens v. commercial lens etc. At this point, im likely to look for a commercial built used lens, that can easily be resold if i dont go that direction.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
To test the waters, I second what Mike said. Find a projector to beg borrow or steal for awhile and use the zoom method. Even if it's a PITA to switch from 1.78 to 2.35, you'll be able to get a feel for a scope screen.

I'd put up a temporary 2.35 screen - make it as big as you think you'll want in your theater (assuming the basic projector has enough huevos to go that big). I'd also suggest doing some quick and dirty horizontal masking.

Then use the zoom method (and move the projector if required) to test out 1.78 vs 2.35. You won't have committed any cash to a lens but can still check out the scope experience.

I'll post some pics of my $25 temporary screen this weekend.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #6 of 6 Old 10-03-2009, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 188
My basement HT "screen" for 10+ months was simple primer over drywall.
Can't get much cheaper than that.

I used that to evaluate size, different materials, etc.
You read all the reviews here/others places, but how can you get a gut feel yourself?
Visit dealer showrooms. Visit other people (hard to do, is it awkward to just ask someone "I want 20 minutes of your time?", etc)

For value screen, go to the DIY screen section, look for the easiest/value paint mix and try that on the wall you are thinking to use, if you can.

For $3k PJ budget, ok, my brother In-law Epson 7500 UB totally blew me away 4 weeks ago, check that out @ dealer/somewhere. it's got enough kahunas for about any size basement screen you'd have. Lot of PJ's out there.

Good luck.

Just for memories, heres my PJ in room while we were evaluating screen sizes early in my build, actually fun to do.

Too big, but fun to shoot such a huge image on the wall.

Screen image @ about what we settled with.
I used my laptop for DVD's, but also watched HD clips via Quicktime.
Reply DIY Constant Height

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page