AVS Forum banner

Inexpensive Acoustically Transparent Material?

11K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dougri 
#1 ·
I'm preparing to build a new screen (been wanting to go anamorphic for awhile now), but I dont want to spend too much for the screen material. I used blackout cloth for my last screen, but for this one I want to go acoustically transparent. What are some of the best materials for the money?

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisdamani /forum/post/17887192

The best is most likely Center Stage XD from Seymour AV. You can get the most info from the DIY screen section. I have Phifer Sheerweave(4500 chalk) that I bought from Interior Mall. Your best option depends on the type of pj.

http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp
http://www.interiormall.com/cat/nsam...113044&t=2182#

Wow, it sure isnt cheap! Are there any other lower cost options? Also, can you paint this fabric like blackout cloth without losing any of its AT properties?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeMaster /forum/post/17890399

It's not cheap, but it's still a fraction of what manufacture sells AT screens at. I'm looking for the same thing as well, but going with the curved screen route.

It definetly a discount compared to retail screens, but I like how inexpensive a fabric like blackout cloth makes building a screen. I saw on another thread that someone is trying spandex. That sounds promising to me, but I wonder about the image quality. Anyone ever try spandex or another material that is relatively inexpensive for an AT screen?

#6 ·
There's a fabric called "Ponte" which I've been using for just over a year. I read about it here, and it works great -- at least until I can afford to upgrade to the Center Stage stuff.

And buy a new projector.

And a new A-lens.

And a new audio card.

And some more seating.

And poster frames.

. . .

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/17910590

Just looked up Ponte, and I think that might work too - looks like Ill have to just give a try and see for myself.

Another question that I have is whether or not you can paint an AT screen without losing its AT properties. Anyone know?

No, the paint would seal up the holes that allow the sound to pass through.

Good luck with your screen!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/17888737

Wow, it sure isnt cheap! Are there any other lower cost options? Also, can you paint this fabric like blackout cloth without losing any of its AT properties?

It is not, however it works very well and it is easy to clean and maintain. The other material that was popular for a time was "Celtic Cloth" and you will find many threads in the DIY screen section of AVS on this material.

#10 ·
So your saying if I was to spray the Black Widdow mix on with a sprayer on an AT cloth I would cover all the holes up?

The problem I'm facing is that the client I'm doing work for likes my drywall 2:35 screen and is getting the AE4000 to do the same. BUT.. he wants a 9 foot screen with 2 tall bookcases on each side and his wall is only 8 feet high with T-bar ceilings to be installed and a cabinet below with a TV that rises up..

SO... I need at least 3 feet for the cabinet to house a TV in, 4 feet of screen and that leaves me 1 foot of room before I even install the t bar ceiling. That is why I was wondering about the possibility of spray painting an AT screen.

Thanks.

#11 ·
In my mind, I would think that if you were to spray on some paint you would be ok because the paint would stick to the parts of the screen that dont have holes, but then also go through the holes preserving the AT properties. I dont know about all fabrics, but with something like Center Stage would be ok.

#12 ·
Somebody with more knowledgeable can sure correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the paint will adhere to any surface area of the screen that it can, including the threads which make up the border of the perforation holes. This paint will build up, and sooner than later will clog those holes. Once it does that, you might just as well have used blackout cloth. This will be especially true if you use a fabric like Ponte, which has a very tight weave already. Acoustically transparent screens are already blocking the sound -- just to a degree that it shouldn't be noticeable. No screen is ever completely acoustically transparent, some are just more so than others. The more stuff you add to the material that makes up your screen, the more matter you're going to have blocking your speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.