AVS Forum banner

DIY Screen: From Zoom Method to Lens?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  oman321 
#1 ·
I'm going to be building a 2.4 screen for the theater I'm planning, but I might not have the budget to go for the lens/VP right off the bat. (We'll see how the budget works out!)

I'd really like to build a curved screen right off the bat, as I know I want to go with a lens eventually... but will I be disappointed by the distortion while I'm using zoom (while I'm saving for the lens setup)?

I guess my question is should I build a flat screen now, then try to sell it and build a curved screen for the lens, or just build a curved screen now, and live with the distortion?

How bad is the distortion of a zoomed projector on a curved screen?

I'm planning on using AT material from Seymour AV, if that make any difference...

#2 ·
Well, it will depend on the amount of the curve and zoom range. With enough zoom and the dark velvet you should be able to zoom the offeding parts of the image off onto the borders, but how much of that will you be ok with. If mostly movie watching 2:35 not so bad, but if your planning any TV and sports, tickers and scores will be another factor.

When I first set up my curved screen I watched IRON Man with a friend pre-DIY Lens. We got thru it fine but I was at full zoom to try and fill the screen and I couldn't. So barreling at the top and bottom corners was obvious.

If your building your own screen you build your own lens. Might be a better alternative until you for a pro lens. You can look at trophy prisms but I recommend the Surplus Shed prisms if they'll fit you projector. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.