AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Somis CIH Masking System

31K views 119 replies 41 participants last post by  R Harkness 
#1 ·
I recently installed a motorized masking system on my 120 inch Stewart screen and have it set for wide open (2.35) and 16 x 9. I purchased it from Somis Systems. I believe I was their first customer for this particular product.

Since I was their "Beta" customer, the documentation was not anywhere near acceptable but they have since remedied that (I have a copy of the most current documentation).

The company spent time with me on the phone to work through the install process since the documentation lacked clarity. My guess would be that to install the non-motorized version would take less than a couple of hours at most given the current documentation. Much of the system comes pre-assembled.

It works like a champ. Each mask currently operates independently via remote. I know they are in the process of upgrading the electronics package for the system.

If you are in the market for a motorized (or manual) masking system, check them out. Their pricing is WAY less than the competition. The retail on my motorized system was $1490. The manual system is considerably less (and is upgradeable to a motorized version).

And, of course, the apparent improvement in black level with the masks in place is dramatic.

See less See more
#27 ·
Oman-

The track I use is 1-inch aluminum, and not very bendable. Unless of course I was the Incredible Hulk, but then I wouldn't have any brains.

However, for curved screens, I can use a track that is more pliable. The trick is to use more attachment points along the screen frame.

I will look into this. Wouldn't mind having a curved screen myself!

Don

#31 ·
I sent an email on your website in regards to my 13' diagonal A/T curved screen and what options you have for it.

#32 ·
Hi Adam-

I chose the most common screen sizes, but I can also do larger screens. For your 136 inch wide screen, I calculated the masks to be 30 inches wide in order to mask to 1.33. This means the tracks have to be a little longer, and of course the rollers are longer as well.

Curved screens are doable, and I will be working on this soon. First on the list is to get a new motor controller design done.

The new controller will support presets, RS232, IR, and have non-volatile memory.

Don

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somis /forum/post/18616365

Hi Adam-

I chose the most common screen sizes, but I can also do larger screens. For your 136 inch wide screen, I calculated the masks to be 30 inches wide in order to mask to 1.33. This means the tracks have to be a little longer, and of course the rollers are longer as well.

Curved screens are doable, and I will be working on this soon. First on the list is to get a new motor controller design done.

The new controller will support presets, RS232, IR, and have non-volatile memory.

Don

I Don't know if it matters but I don't need to mask down to 1.33. Only 16:9

Can you give me a price for manual and power for either straight or curved screens. I may end up replacing my screen with a straight one and this may push me over the ledge to do so.

#37 ·
Wow, this looks promising!

Does the masking frame sit over the movie screen border or does it "hug" the outside of the movie screen frame? IOW, if I have a 3.3" border around my screen frame (SeymourAV Fixed Frame), will I need to allow more vertical wall space for the Somis 1?

I already asked this in a PM, but will the roll up masks be acoustically transparent?

#38 ·
Hi Tom-

Yes, you will need 3 inches around the outside of the screen frame. The system attaches directly to the screen frame with brackets. Assembly is around 1 hour or less. No drilling, gluing, stapling, nailing, blasting, etc.

I can supply AT masks on special request.

Don

#39 ·
Interesting.

Somis/Don -

- Where are you located?

- Estimated time to delivery for screens?

- Considering 4-way masking? Sounds like AT is in the works and curved screens are being considered.

- Pics of setups?

- Pics of controller/remote - pre-stops and/or "jog" settings?

- adjustable to various screen dimensions -- eg 2.35:1, 2.37:1, 2.40:1, etc.?

- How would you characterize the differences between your CIH and Carada's CIH masking system?

Thanks.

Mike

#42 ·
Well, it seems like I'll have to update the website to include 130 - inch CIH.

Mike-

I'm just north of LA. I'll be doing a couple of "beta" CIH screens w/masking systems next month. I can supply screen material (Pfifer 4500) but the concept is to have the customer supply their own screen material.

I know how to do 4-way masking, but I have not prototyped a screen yet.

There are some pics on the website now, and more will be added to the gallery as the they stream in from installers.

Re-designing the controller now, and it will be available in July with presets, and jog.

I can make various AR screens.

Can't comment on a Carada, since I haven't seen one. But I guess it would be like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevy. Both will get you there. Some folks wouldn't be caught dead driving a Chevy, while others are very happy with 'em. It depends on your budget.

Since I do all of my own design work, there is a cost savings. I use components that are reliable, yet cost-effective. For instance, I get +/- .062 inches of accuracy out of a six buck encoder, which is not bad. All I have to do is add firmware and stir.

Don

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac /forum/post/18670669

Have you received your masking system ?

No I haven't... I will keep you guys posted when I receive one

#45 ·
Wow! These screens just keep getting bigger! At some point I may need a "request for quote" section on the website.

Material - wise, the rollers, trim and fabric are increased in size, but the rest of the kit is pretty much a standard engine.

However, anything over 12 feet wide will need a "hemi".
These will have to be quoted per request.

Absolute max is 15.5 feet wide.

Don

#46 ·
Awesome news.

Looking forward to your finished product, will wait until you have your remote presets sorted out.

So any DIY screen will be able to fit these?

Example, mine is 110" but on your website it lists 104" or next size up is 120", so some of us with the inbetween numbers will still be able to implement this masking system?

And, do you intend dealing with international customers?

cheers,

Danny

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somis /forum/post/18670733

Well, it seems like I'll have to update the website to include 130 - inch CIH.

Mike-

I'm just north of LA. I'll be doing a couple of "beta" CIH screens w/masking systems next month. I can supply screen material (Pfifer 4500) but the concept is to have the customer supply their own screen material.

I know how to do 4-way masking, but I have not prototyped a screen yet.

There are some pics on the website now, and more will be added to the gallery as the they stream in from installers.

Re-designing the controller now, and it will be available in July with presets, and jog.

I can make various AR screens.

Can't comment on a Carada, since I haven't seen one. But I guess it would be like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevy. Both will get you there. Some folks wouldn't be caught dead driving a Chevy, while others are very happy with 'em. It depends on your budget.

Since I do all of my own design work, there is a cost savings. I use components that are reliable, yet cost-effective. For instance, I get +/- .062 inches of accuracy out of a six buck encoder, which is not bad. All I have to do is add firmware and stir.

Don

Don -

Thanks for the replies.

I look forward to seeing some systems and reviews.

Good luck.

Mike

#50 ·
MAZMAN-

Yes, I do plan on making these available to international customers. Yes, I can make a size to fit your screen. I can send you a quote with shipping if you send me your actual dimensions and address.

These are shippable via standard UPS, Fedex or USPS parcels. I was able to design the system so that the rollers and load bars splice together. These become as rigid as a continuous piece when spliced. This facilitates standard shipping sizes to avoid costly freight charges.

Cheers-

Don

#51 ·
Don,

Did you get my email the other day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.