AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Somis CIH Masking System

31K views 119 replies 41 participants last post by  R Harkness 
#1 ·
I recently installed a motorized masking system on my 120 inch Stewart screen and have it set for wide open (2.35) and 16 x 9. I purchased it from Somis Systems. I believe I was their first customer for this particular product.

Since I was their "Beta" customer, the documentation was not anywhere near acceptable but they have since remedied that (I have a copy of the most current documentation).

The company spent time with me on the phone to work through the install process since the documentation lacked clarity. My guess would be that to install the non-motorized version would take less than a couple of hours at most given the current documentation. Much of the system comes pre-assembled.

It works like a champ. Each mask currently operates independently via remote. I know they are in the process of upgrading the electronics package for the system.

If you are in the market for a motorized (or manual) masking system, check them out. Their pricing is WAY less than the competition. The retail on my motorized system was $1490. The manual system is considerably less (and is upgradeable to a motorized version).

And, of course, the apparent improvement in black level with the masks in place is dramatic.

See less See more
#52 ·
Hi Chris-

Might be good to send a PM as well.

The motor controller is progressing well, with software nearly complete along with the board layout.

Unlike the last controller, this one will have non-volatile memory to store the presets. It will also support RS232 with Crestron and Control 4 drivers.

This is what was holding up the motorized systems. Still targeting for a July release.

Don

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/18805789

I placed an order for one of these today. Don has been very responsive to my many pesky e-mails. I look forward to getting it and putting it through its paces.

Really interested in your experience - please take some pictures during installation so we can see the nitty gritty details!

Jeff

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/18811328

Really interested in your experience - please take some pictures during installation so we can see the nitty gritty details!

Jeff

Sure thing.

I think we will all have to be a little patient because the electronics package is not yet complete. I am hoping that this really turns out well. Somis has been extremely helpful and responsive so far. I hope that I am not distracting him from finishing things up.

#57 ·
Thanks Steve.

Just to update everybody, the controller prototype boards are in, and I have been able to download code to the processor. Next is to get the motors turning and then add the presets.

In case anybody's interested, the old design used an OTP (One-Time Programmable) processor, which made it difficult to change or update code.

The new device is Flash-based, in which you can download new code at any time, without replacing the chip.

It's Like going from the Flintsones to the Jetsons.

The new controller also supports RS232.

This has been a gating item, but it looks like we're still on track for a July release.

Stay tuned!

Don

#58 ·
Don,

We're anxiously waiting!

#60 ·
Steve-

The answer is yes, the IR codes are learnable into any "smart" remote.

Blog is not a bad idea. May add this to the website.

Just wanted to share an idea for a 4-way CIH. If you have top/bottom rollers for masking (a la 16x9), and then had roll-down panels to mask down to 16 x 9 from 2.35 (side masking), then we have essentially 4-way masking.

Only limitation is not being able to mask beyond 1.78 (ie 1.33).

Any interest here?

Don

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somis /forum/post/18812836

Thanks Steve.

Just to update everybody, the controller prototype boards are in, and I have been able to download code to the processor. Next is to get the motors turning and then add the presets.

In case anybody's interested, the old design used an OTP (One-Time Programmable) processor, which made it difficult to change or update code.

The new device is Flash-based, in which you can download new code at any time, without replacing the chip.

It's Like going from the Flintsones to the Jetsons.

The new controller also supports RS232.

This has been a gating item, but it looks like we're still on track for a July release.

Stay tuned!

Don

How are things coming, Don?

#68 ·
Hey Steve-

The prototype boards are in, and I have done the "smoke" test on one. Couple of layout errors (Que?), but nothing major.

I will have the prototype controller up and running this weekend. I have since re-designed the PCB, and I will be submitting that for fabrication next week. Turn-around time is 10 business days. These will be the production boards. When they come in I will stuff and test a sample.

These then need to go to the testing lab for FCC compliance.

My goal is to wrap up the controller by 7/31. At 1/3 into the month, it's cutting it close!

Stay tuned!

Don

#76 ·
Don,

Haven't had a call from you in awhile... Hope you didn't forget about your beta testers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.